Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for Dog Fighting/Jet Fighter Games  (Read 4278 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Looking for Dog Fighting/Jet Fighter Games
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:50 pm »

So yeah. Read a good book about air combat and now I'm craving it. I'd prefer, ya know, an actual jet fighting game but I suppose space fighting will work too.

No need to mention:

Tie Fighter
Freespace 2
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Dog Fighting/Jet Fighter Games
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 (EDIT: There are jets, just very early jets. Most of the sim is prop planes)
DCS series
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:16:58 pm by OzyTheSage »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:46 pm »

The Lock On series is pretty spiffy

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:30 pm »

+1 IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, there is also Rise of Flight wich is centred on WWI and its free so you might as well check it out.

Also to have in mind, you WILL need a joystick to play this ones, they are real flight simulators not like tie fighter or freespace.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »

Total Air War (F22) - Somewhat decent simulator that has a dynamic campaign. The action takes place in the middle east. You are limited to using a F22.

Mig Alley - Game takes place during the war in Korea where the godlike american sabres take on those dirty russian migs. (if you're looking for dogrighting rather than launchinging missiles from 7 miles away and spamming flares and chaffs then this is for you).

Dogfight: Battle in the skies - A somewhat old 2D freeware game... pretty arcady (but you can stall ETC) but the author put a lot of detail into planes (and made a ton of them) from ye olde biplanes to TIE Defenders. Availble in both german and english.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »

If you're not into complete simulation, the Ace Combat series is good fun.

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:20:48 pm »

If you're strapped on cash ysflight is free and pretty fun but isn't the most realistic choice
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »

I don't know how I forgot to mention A New Zero.

Its current form (version 0.78) is pretty simple with strange physics, but you get to fly around and shoot people. The earlier version of the game was called 'ramjets' because you flew around and... flew into people to kill them =p

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:25 pm »

Lockon Flaming Cliffs 2 is an excellent combat simulator as is DCS A10
Only a simple mind can be certain.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:43 pm »

Battleground Europe started out mainly as an air sim that had the rest of the game built around it. In the air war you can do pretty much everything that actually happened. Strategic and tactical bombing (factories or infantry/tanks), strafing infantry or tanks, interception, dogfighting. Theres some people who make it through a whole campaign as top aces and never die but get loads of kills (usually with some fancy 200 dollar JS, but I got along just fine with an old logitek attack 3 with no z axis or hat). Theres also naval bombing elements as there are occasionally flotillas of destroyers or FMBs (little gunboats) and the occasional Transport with a few tanks. Only drawback is that you might need a subscription to fly any planes at all, or you MIGHT get access to a few lower tier planes that are available at the start of the campaign when technology is low (factories used to govern the speed that technology came in, but the Axis got really butthurt over this since there was an entire squadron dedicated to bombing their factories, leaving them with horrifically inadequate equipment, last I played factories controlled resupply).

Theres also more to the game. If you get bored with your plane you can play as an armored unit supporting infantry on the ground, or you can play as an ATG killing tanks, play as an AAG and shoot down aircraft, play as an infantry unit, play as a paraplane pilot and drop paratroopers, play as the captain of a Destroyer. Or if you get into it enough you can apply to join the High Command and realize the game is a bit of a grand strategy as well.

Oh also this game very realistically tracks armor amounts on enemy planes and vehicles, damage to individual parts and the ballistics of each and every projectile on the battlefield. Only health meter is on the squishy bits, the crew.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:28:07 pm by zehive »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:22:43 am »

If you have an old PS2 or PS! laying about Ace Combat 5 and Zero are quite good.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:39:20 am »

Dogfight 1942 isn't bad, but it gets repetitive quickly.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:17 am »

Battlefield Play4Free has aircraft. You'll have to gain a few levels to unlock them.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:58 am »

I'll third the Ace Combat series. I've played 4 (PS2), 5 (PS2), 6 (Xbox 360), and X (PSP) and have enjoyed each of them immensely.

If you're willing to look into some older games, the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron series is also very fun. The first one was on PC and Nintendo 64 while the second was on Gamecube. Haven't played the third one so can't judge it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:18 am »

If you have it, and a means to fix the graphical issues (I have links somewhere), Crimson Skies is a buried treasure.
Pages: [1] 2