Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First ever pic of DF ocean floor?  (Read 5848 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First ever pic of DF ocean floor?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »

The problem with building buildings in the water is dwarves refuse to try (pansies, afraid of a little water?)

I suppose if you built a fortress nearby, underground, and then FLOODED its surroundings, by digging around it and then letting the water in, but kept the insides of it full of air...

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »

Vampire adventurers make for great marine biologists. I traveled across the ocean floor in one of the early 0.34 versions, and there are hills and slopes just like aboveground. Sadly I didn't see a single fish - undersea battles would be awesome.
There is the ocean creature file with whales and octopus men and stuff. I guess your trek was before that, since I think it was a relatively recent addition.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »

Vampire adventurers make for great marine biologists. I traveled across the ocean floor in one of the early 0.34 versions, and there are hills and slopes just like aboveground. Sadly I didn't see a single fish - undersea battles would be awesome.
There is the ocean creature file with whales and octopus men and stuff. I guess your trek was before that, since I think it was a relatively recent addition.
No, vampires were added in the same release. I think AutomataKittay got it right, water creatures are too thinly spread to encounter them in the wild. Toady probably didn't expect undersea walks as a feature, so there is no need for a realistic amount of fish in the water if nobody can see them anyways. That can wait until boats are added.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »

No, vampires were added in the same release. I think AutomataKittay got it right, water creatures are too thinly spread to encounter them in the wild. Toady probably didn't expect undersea walks as a feature, so there is no need for a realistic amount of fish in the water if nobody can see them anyways. That can wait until boats are added.

Yeah, it doesn't helps that ocean tend to be fairly huge and mechanically mostly of one biome over much larger area than most land biomes. At least for pocket worlds I've always played in at 34.xx. I also -think- that there're a lot more land animal over any single biome than there are oceanic creature altogether, but I've not counted them up. Most I checked had fairly similar population number as land critters and birds.

Those combined makes oceans pretty low population density relative to more crowded and blended land.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:37 pm »

Every season in my ocean embark fort brings a group of 3-5 ocean animals or animal men. The thing is they are never on the ocean floor (90 z-levels deep) so an ocean floor walking adventurer would have little chance of encountering anything.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 05:38:18 pm »

Ah yes, I imagine once boats are here; water will cloud vision (you won't be able to see past a certain depth), storms will wrack the world, underwater geography would be apparent and even more hidden fun things would emerge from the depths.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »

In the midsummer of 941 Giant Xray Lizardman arose from the oceam and began terrorizing the lands.

In the midsummer of 941 Pissed Off Hill Titan (a skinless moth, beware its deadly dust) confronted Giant Xray Lizardman in the town of Oceancrests.

In the late summer of 941, Giant Xray Lizardman defeats Pissed Off Hill Titan!  While defeated, the latter escaped unscheathed.

In the late summer of 941, Giant Xray Lazardman was venerated as a god of Oceancrest and given one virgin a year as tasty tribute!

In the late summer of 941, John Mcvirgin was devoured by Giant Xray Lizardman!

:P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

The problem with building buildings in the water is dwarves refuse to try (pansies, afraid of a little water?)

I suppose if you built a fortress nearby, underground, and then FLOODED its surroundings, by digging around it and then letting the water in, but kept the insides of it full of air...
Magma... magma is the key. Turn ocean into rock, then dwarves will be happy to build in it :)
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »

Unless the rock is damp. Then it's warnings galore every tile dug!

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:23 pm »

Quick,somebody do a [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] on a aquatic creature and explore the ocean-ing!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »

But then you'll be a sperm whale man starting in a human civ!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:26 pm »

But then you'll be a sperm whale man starting in a human civ!

By aquatic I didnt mean a HALIBUT doofus!I meant a frog or some snake man.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »

That'd be amphibians. :P

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:50 pm »

That'd be amphibians. *jerkface*

I knew there were elves hiding in this forum and I just found one!Now get your scuba suit and hug some underwater coral Elven treehugger!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 03:53:45 pm »

Corals are animals, though, us elf folk don't care about them. :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3