Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: First ever pic of DF ocean floor?  (Read 5850 times)

Cotton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First ever pic of DF ocean floor?
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »

Why dont we explore the unknown and find more infomation about this?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: First ever pic of DF ocean floor?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »

???Thats the ocean floor.

Ive seen it on all coastal embarks.  How far out was this?  Pic of the world map, please.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

???Thats the ocean floor.

Ive seen it on all coastal embarks.  How far out was this?  Pic of the world map, please.
Yeah, In fact, it's only a few clicks away from my own fortress
Unf.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »

To be sure, it is hard impossible to get a fort out in the middle of the ocean.  That was an adventurer. and I believe the ocean is 90 tiles deep, based off the wiki and what it says the water table is.

Mods that let you embark anywhere won't help you survive anywhere, and your dwarves cannot do anything in the ocean but die.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cotton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

got this off a recording it wasnt far from the marker.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:39:11 pm »

To be sure, it is hard impossible to get a fort out in the middle of the ocean.  That was an adventurer. and I believe the ocean is 90 tiles deep, based off the wiki and what it says the water table is.

Mods that let you embark anywhere won't help you survive anywhere, and your dwarves cannot do anything in the ocean but die.
Ah. Ok. I didn't fully read, I am sure mine was just a waterfall then. Excuse my post.
Unf.

Cotton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »

Now I feel like jumping into a eerie pit in adventurer mode.
A little help?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »

Make a fort that has access to it.
PKs DF Mod!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »

If you get yourself a vampire adventurer, you should be able to survive underwater, right? That means you can probably survive at the bottom of the ocean too.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:33 am »

If you get yourself a vampire adventurer, you should be able to survive underwater, right? That means you can probably survive at the bottom of the ocean too.

Correct-o. Vampires do not need to breathe, thus they could survive at the bottom of the ocean assuming that was the only issue. I don't know much about swimming since I generally avoid it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:33 am »

uhh... I posted this during my frozen ocrean walk a couple weeks ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though I kinda use Dfhack and could just Reveal the entire ocean to see the floor... also ride minecarts into the ocean all the way down.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:24:32 am »

Vampire adventurers make for great marine biologists. I traveled across the ocean floor in one of the early 0.34 versions, and there are hills and slopes just like aboveground. Sadly I didn't see a single fish - undersea battles would be awesome.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:32:26 am »

So they don't gen in the middle of the ocean, or at the bottom?

I assumed anything with the ocean biome tag would gen throughout the ocean, although I suppose they would have no need to sink... unless they saw you.
PKs DF Mod!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:21 am »

So they don't gen in the middle of the ocean, or at the bottom?

I assumed anything with the ocean biome tag would gen throughout the ocean, although I suppose they would have no need to sink... unless they saw you.

Ocean's pretty big, I remember checking some biome tags and worldgen ocean, it's very lightly populated compared to land. Though that depends on worldgen parameter :D

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 12:15:12 am »

I've seen ocean at only 6 levels deep over large ranges, mostly when I was looking for deep oceans, for which around 90 is the norm.

If you disable the lowest level when genning the world you can 'survive' a forced embark on the ocean for a while as your units are placed inside solid rock, upper left and presumably die of thirst after a while. But you have time to screw around including making reclaimable islands for middle-of-the-ocean forts.

I've seen an opah, a giant nautilus and squidmen without paying much attention even to what's going on under the ocean. Can't say how well they would fight as the hammerdwarf squad won't follow underwater kill orders.
Pages: [1] 2 3