Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding Unnecessary Complexity to Booze  (Read 1756 times)

auswelter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adding Unnecessary Complexity to Booze
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »

Maybe I should just mod my own raws, but I got to thinking about booze in DF and I thought I might share an idea or three. Do with it what you will.

Seaweed based booze: Kelpenbrau. Oh, and it would be a glob rather than a liquid; that's right, it's a Jell-O shot (or at least an agar shot). 

On a more literary note, I found a poem by R.L. Stevenson http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2026/
Anybody else thing that Heather Ale has a nice ring to it?

Also... Dwarven Rum is made from sweet pods, but Dwarven Sugar and Dwarven Syrup can't be brewed in to some form of booze after the fact? Whyever not? Granted it wouldn't be Dwarven Rum, maybe Dwarven Rotgut or Dwarven Grog.
Does anybody else think that other races ought to make booze types that dwarves cannot? And vice versa, of course. Goblin Schnapps, anyone? Forest Nectar from the elves? ("Yer an elf, eh? Do yer know how ter make Forest Nectar?" "Oh sure! My grandpa owns the unicorn that made the first batch!") Lager, Red or White Wine, or Dark Ale from the humans? How about Cave Cider and Root Gin from the kobolds? Clearly i have way too much free time to think up this stuff.

Finally, should some booze types require that they be researched in an alchemists laboratory before they can be brewed?

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Unnecessary Complexity to Booze
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »

It sound's like a good idea, I tell you, but I dont like the idea of too many boozes so that it lag's fps, I mean Elf's getting drunk is not in there orignal ethnics.

auswelter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

I absolutely agree that it isn't worth lagging fps.

As for elves, drinking and getting drunk are two different things, as in, 'Where elves sip, dwarves guzzle.'
Also, drinking and manufacturing are two different things. During prohibition, Canada also had laws against consumption of alcohol, but allowed it to be manufactured for export, which contributed greatly to places on the Great Lakes-- like Detroit and Chicago-- becoming hubs for illegal alcohol distribution.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

adding a few more booze types wouldn't lag fps. that's mainly caused by too many scattered unstacked individual items, aka socks, in your fortress. I for one like the idea of more booze.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:46:01 pm »

adding a few more booze types wouldn't lag fps. that's mainly caused by too many scattered unstacked individual items, aka socks, in your fortress. I for one like the idea of more booze.
Agreed. More good choices are always good.
I'm interested in the Dwarven Grog bit. How is Human Grog made?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »

Usually it's watered down rum with citrus juice squeezed in.
Or straight rum with citrus juice.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Shaolin ToFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »

Yes, I like this idea! Distillation of alcohol was available in medieval times (history of distillation), so it might even be logical to split up alcohol production between breweries and distilleries. The kitchen could have an extra option next to 'cook' and 'brew': distill, available for certain plants and beverages.
The distilleries could then make brandy from wines (only elves distilling sunberry wines would be allowed to call it cognac) or whiskies from beer (as these are both malt/grain based), rum from sugars, wodka from tubers (these are potato like right?) and perhaps gin from berries directly.
This distillery should probably need fuel, which also gives us the opportunity to have magma distilleries (yay) and maybe they should be built using metal or glass.

As for racial preferences, I suppose anyone can distill anything as long as the ingredients are available, but there might be modifiers for quality, as dwarves will probably make superior single malt whisky, while humans might struggle to make a decent blend, even though their rum is exceptional. Elves drink nothing but champagne, goblins strike me as wodka-types, kobolds will try that as well, but end up with the stuff that makes you go blind.

Also, rice should be added (growing only in a plot submerged in 1/7 water perhaps) to allow for sake.

Having drinks age in casks would be a nice addition, although I can't imagine how that would be easily implemented..
You have struck microcline!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »

"Yer an elf, eh? Do yer know how ter make Forest Nectar?" "Oh sure! My grandpa owns the unicorn that made the first batch!"

Urist McDwarf cancels Drink: Booze is actually horse piss

On a more serious note, I'm always up for more alcohol based ideas.

Also, rice should be added (growing only in a plot submerged in 1/7 water perhaps) to allow for sake.

It should be added, but maybe 2/7 water instead, so it isn't constantly drying? That or wait until we get floodgates that only allow a certain amount of flow through.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »

It should be added, but maybe 2/7 water instead, so it isn't constantly drying? That or wait until we get floodgates that only allow a certain amount of flow through.

There're a few species of rice that don't need to be grown with a lot of water, plus there'd need to be fixing up of flooded job reactions. And you can use pressure plate to only allow a certain depth :D

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:57:21 am »

There needs to be Moon Fruit so we can make Moonshine.
or Square Roots so we can make Quadratic Formula.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

filipmolnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:11:13 am »

Nice ideas :)
D_E is a true saint.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:32:56 am »

There're a few species of rice that don't need to be grown with a lot of water, plus there'd need to be fixing up of flooded job reactions. And you can use pressure plate to only allow a certain depth :D
IIRC, dwarves only cancel jobs in 4/7 water or deeper.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:42:37 am »

IIRC, dwarves only cancel jobs in 4/7 water or deeper.
They always cancels any construction jobs in 2/7 or deeper, I've not had any workshops flooded and working so I can't say for that specificly. Water up to around 3/7 is pathable through, but workable I'm not sure.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »

There needs to be Moon Fruit so we can make Moonshine.
or Square Roots so we can make Quadratic Formula.
You. I like you.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »

I think that we must make booze more complex.
Also because apples might be added we need hard cider.
Pages: [1] 2