Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: RL Zombie Apocolypse  (Read 7577 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: RL Zombie Apocolypse
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »

Again, the only REALISTIC sort of zombie is the classic Romero zombie.

There is no disease. No parasite. There is simply the fact that the dead have arisen.

They do not want to eat you. You are not food because they do not need food. They just want to kill you, directly or indirectly, and then you will become one of them.
Nah, not really. It makes more sense than the parasite zombie, but the parasite/ technically living zombie is the only one that can exist under these laws of physics. Sure, it'd take a gigantic budget and many years of bioengineering, as well as a completly insane genius to do it, but it's possible.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »

If you want to talk about realistic zombie parasites, I'd suggest the ant-zombifying fungi.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2012, 12:51:09 pm »

If you want to talk about realistic zombie parasites, I'd suggest the ant-zombifying fungi.
Which one is that?

There's a caterpillar-zombifying fungi, an ant zombiying parasite and an caterpillar zombifying insect but I can't remember any fungi targetting ants.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2012, 12:52:35 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2012, 01:05:26 pm »

Again, the only REALISTIC sort of zombie is the classic Romero zombie.

There is no disease. No parasite. There is simply the fact that the dead have arisen.

They do not want to eat you. You are not food because they do not need food. They just want to kill you, directly or indirectly, and then you will become one of them.
Nah, not really. It makes more sense than the parasite zombie, but the parasite/ technically living zombie is the only one that can exist under these laws of physics. Sure, it'd take a gigantic budget and many years of bioengineering, as well as a completly insane genius to do it, but it's possible.
The only REALISTIC zombie is not a zombie. It's 28 days later and a disease manipulates its host to be more aggressive, furthering its spread. Which makes it a not-zombie, but close enough. Basically airborn rabies. We don't call rabies carriers zombies and kill them with fire so... Yeah, zombie apocalypse - not going to happen without malignant intent. Or mother nature being an angry bitch.

I'd assume that the zombies would lack an immune system, else the virus, bacteria, toxin or parasite would come under attack often by the body's own defences, causing the zombie to either be damaged, or it would de-zombify itself over time.
1. If it's a parasite, not much the immune system can do. For unfortunate people who end up with parasites in the brain - most of the times surgeons can only stunt their growth and leave them there.
2. If it surrounds itself with vacuoles in the host cells :/
Well either case means the host could have a fully functioning immune system and still die to this.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »

MOVE TO ANTARCTIC ICE SHEET. IF NOT POSSIBLE, MOVE TO MOST NORTHERN LAND MASS ACCESIBLE.

As The Zombie survival guide pointed out, It's best to prepare before hand. For North Americans, Get a place way up north (unless your canadian, you're going to die anyway, see below) When it is clear that there are oceans of Zombies going around, everyone will flee north, due to the fewer people, lots of space, and the general sustainability. Zombies, being at least capable of following food, will follow them. You will join a growing horde of screwed Americans and confused Canadians.

A glaciar is still best though, if only because the zombies will freeze. And the fact there were none there to begin with.

The thing about a zombie apocalypse is, even assuming that they aren't capable of any form of physical abilities, or even basic fine movement, they are going to be a metric fuckton (imperial). It's not impossible that so many zombies will show up at your house they will form a ramp up your walls, or even just collapse it from weight. You could be facing millions later on. And they have all the time in the world.

A island would be good, assuming no zombie whales. A desert island would be almost perfect, assuming a zombie wandering underwater doesn't find it. Even then, the number of your problems will be limited to sustainable living.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2012, 02:09:48 pm »

Yea I don't think too many will have either the resources, forethought, forward thinking, or 'balls' to move way up north.  Too many are habituated to stay in their same climatic region.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2012, 02:13:16 pm »

Have the ideas of technically living zombies been put forth?
They could reproduce normally...
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »

Yea I don't think too many will have either the resources, forethought, forward thinking, or 'balls' to move way up north.  Too many are habituated to stay in their same climatic region.
Now wait, what about all those people fleeing syria? It doesn't necessarily need to be in advance. In fact, it most likely won't be. Remember, all one needs to flee north is to not be a zombie yet.

This is why I maintain the best method is for everyone to commit suicide as soon as news of a zombie occurs. That's death on your own terms. Think about it, everyone knows what zombies are by now, right? They know that in movies, the zombie horde is indicative of people who didn't escape? And yet they will still try to survive?

So yes, I will be living in Super Northern Canada then, taking potshots at random zombies who've managed to wander north. Anyone want to come?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2012, 02:22:34 pm »

and zombie whales would just dehydrate if they tried to get on land.
*implying that zombies would give a fuck about hydration*

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »

and zombie whales would just dehydrate if they tried to get on land.
*implying that zombies would give a fuck about hydration*
The bigger issue is whether or not a beached zombiewhale can actually move on land and therefore cause you harm.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »

This is assuming the virus or whatever even affects animals. The Human's biological system is fairly different.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

This is assuming the virus or whatever even affects animals. The Human's biological system is fairly different.
some diseases have very few problems jumping species.
And since a Zombie virus/ parasite needs to be an engineered version...

I'll add cross species to the feature list.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

I was under the impression a vacoule would not stop the immune system attack a virus-infected cell.
It wouldn't. But normally this sort of thing is dealt with by enzymes within the host cell, which it cannot do as the vacuole keeps it safe.

The body's immune system doesn't remove the infection from the cells, it removes the infected cells themselves.
Well,
Then again, if the disease can also hijack immune system cells...
This.

Also, the body does attack parasites, it's just not very good at it.
Not when they evade it. Living in the brain is one way to do this. Forming vacuoles inside host cells is another. Multiplying and changing like crazy to confuse the hell out of the immune system is yet more. Plenty of ways these buggers have adapted to exploit living things.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »

Yeah, the idea behind the vacualo mechanic is that the cell still looks like a normal body cell for the immuno mechanism. (and in fact still is). Meanwhile, the vacuole protects the infector from anything the cell can throw at it. (except maybe lyosomes, but those don't attack foreign vacuoles I believe.)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8