Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: RL Zombie Apocolypse  (Read 7601 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: RL Zombie Apocolypse
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »

Before the school's internet so rudely cut me off I was going to comment how we've been finding potentially alien organism fossilized into meteor(ites).  Or was it fastr fossilized?  Anywho there may be some cysts out there that survive the fall to Earth.
Those turned out to be Earthen after all AFAIK. But yeah, we have found organisms which would probably survive being shot into space and falling back.\\

Tardigrates for example.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 03:22:00 pm »

But it ONLY managed to effect 1/3rd because we don't care!
Wat
It's had how many hundreds of years, with us not giving a shit, and it's still only 33% effective.
You consider a 1/3 of humanity insignificant?!
Over the time period we're talking about for parasite that isn't considered a threat? Yes, that's pretty insignificant.

I'm saying managing to infect 1/3 of humanity when no one tries to counter that infection, no one cares about it, and there are no ill effects is... unimpressive, to say the least. You'd be far better off referring to something like lactobactillus, which has managed to infect roughly 100% of the population.

Oh and yes, humanity does give a shit. It's just that there's no effective treatment for the buggers when they're incubating.
Evidence that anyone cares, please?
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/
Apathy does not mean safety.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »

Oh, i should clarify. Were would be find native life forms we usually associate with aliens? Yes, I'm going cloverfield on your asses. It's more interesting then zombies.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:37 pm »

Oh, i should clarify. Were would be find native life forms we usually associate with aliens? Yes, I'm going cloverfield on your asses. It's more interesting then zombies.
In space

Now seriously. The depth's of the oceans have some freackish stuff, and you could look for extremophiles. Also the surroundings of nonsecured nuclear dumping sites.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »

In the sunken city of R'lyeh. Deep, deep under the sea. Where we'll never be. Can you see? What will be? Are you scared, scared of the bees, that make you flee? Then stay away, away from the sea.
Skreeeeeeee..... ASCII.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 03:31:02 pm »

??? do you buy the whole freakishly fast and somehow extremely beneficial mutation bit?

Also the pressure form the ocean's depth's provides its own challenges.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

In the depths of the ocean? Yes, someone suggested dumping it in the marina trench. Irradiated earthquakes ahoy!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »

??? do you buy the whole freakishly fast and somehow extremely beneficial mutation bit?

Also the pressure form the ocean's depth's provides its own challenges.
Insects/ and maybe other animals that have been found near nuclear sites have shown some peculiar mutations. (2 heads, legs instead of antennae) Most of these aren't viable, and they are always useless.

It does like a bit alieny though.

In the depths of the ocean? Yes, someone suggested dumping it in the marina trench. Irradiated earthquakes ahoy!
Before I believe the seventies that was the standard way of dumping nuclear material. At least the current variants include massive containers to keep them somewhat contained.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »

@the point of toxoplasmosis gondii

The problem is, we'd notice it, and unless it had a REALLY long incubation period, the odds of it all mutating simultaneously into a zombie parasite is so remote, it's basically zilch.
Yep. We'd have to assume general incompetence, lack of resources or a very unfortunate series of events.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:28 pm »

There have been plenty of cases of fuggered up intel.  Biological testing has been carried out in numoreous sites.  I recall several major subways systems subject to tests where harmless bacteria was released and its spread tested via strips of paper...

Even major war events *Pearl Habor* are good examples.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 09:35:40 pm »

I'll be hiding away in a valley of the rocky mountains, be like Jeremiah Johnson cept zombies instead of indians.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »

Its ok, I live in Australia. I don't think a zombie outbreak would manage to survive the snakes, spiders and stingrays for long.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 11:55:51 am »

Zombies are also doomed to failure by the single fact that their sole method of reproduction is also their main source of food is also their most dangerous predator.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 11:57:50 am »

Its ok, I live in Australia. I don't think a zombie outbreak would manage to survive the snakes, spiders and stingrays for long.

Also, if it's too hot, zombies will rot more rapidly, too cold, they'll freeze easily.

Zombies suck.

Both good points. Therefore, I'll head for Coober Pedy. Insanely hot during the day, insanely cold at night, and I can dig a house underground and booby-trap the entrance against wandering zombie dingos. Of course, actually reaching Australia might prove to be the greater difficulty.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8