Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: RL Zombie Apocolypse  (Read 7586 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RL Zombie Apocolypse
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52:34 pm »

But it ONLY managed to effect 1/3rd because we don't care!
Wat

It's had how many hundreds of years, with us not giving a shit, and it's still only 33% effective.

10ebbor10 is right - the only way you'd get this sort of outbreak with a parasite is if someone wrapped it into a bioweapon - it's really the only way you'd get this sort of combination of dispersal and long incubation.

You'd really need a simultaneous outbreak to get a zombie apocalypse level shit happening with parasites.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:51 pm »

How effective can you get a bioweapon?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

Planet eating bugs?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:38 pm »

Wat
It's had how many hundreds of years, with us not giving a shit, and it's still only 33% effective.
You consider a 1/3 of humanity insignificant?!

Oh and yes, humanity does give a shit. It's just that there's no effective treatment for the buggers when they're incubating.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »

Cat genocide. Problem solved.

I am disappointed that you asa B12er didn't think of that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »

Cat genocide. Problem solved.

I am disappointed that you asa B12er didn't think of that.
I was weighing the risks of a cat genocide aversed to a planet wide tantrum spiral, zombie apocalypse and a cat uprising.

Zombies were preferable.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »

They may not have ever officially recognized it, but the Soviets had an accidental release of anthrax in Sverdlovsk in 1979. About 100 dead.
Reading the history of those things, it appears the Soviet biowarfare program made it's major advances whenever they had an accidental leak.

Wat
Then again, it's a rather impressive number for a parasite that doesn't target humans in the first place. Getting from one continent to the other is quite a feat for a microbiological beasty.

How effective can you get a bioweapon?
Extinction of most mammal life.

Anthrax airbombing will kill all life in a certain area, and make it inhabitable for centuries. (40 years with cleanup). And that's a virus that is chosen to stay local. More dangerous viri exist and can easily be developped. Scientist managed to make an aerial variant of the pig/ bird flue in a few months, so a dedicated team given a few years will come up with something absolutely destructive.

There's also the fungi that spreads on trees, and then grows in peoples lungs. If you capture it, select for infectability and then drop in all forests, it will slowly kill all human life.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 02:59:38 pm »

Planet eating bugs?

Inefficient. What are the main obstacles to caring a disease, incidentally, and getting in the way of that? And how would you implement a kill switch?
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »

You know... where would we find wholly undiscovered, and threatening, native forms of life on earth?
Reading a thinner book

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:38 pm »

You know... where would we find wholly undiscovered, and threatening, native forms of life on earth?
Extremophiles/Laboratories/Rainforests/Cavern Layer 3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:50 pm »

They may not have ever officially recognized it, but the Soviets had an accidental release of anthrax in Sverdlovsk in 1979. About 100 dead.
I read about this, but I am not sure if it was fictional or not.
Some guy who was tired forgot to check the exhaust filters or something.  Pumped it right out into the city and killed his family along with others.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

Planet eating bugs?

Inefficient. What are the main obstacles to caring a disease, incidentally, and getting in the way of that? And how would you implement a kill switch?
A kill switch is to use a bacterium and train a virus to kill it, or prepare a vaccin. Main problem for carriers is the human immuno system, which will try to combat the bacterium even if it means the death of the human.

Jungles. Why do you think we're burning these en masse anyway. Hospitals and cattlefarms are also good places if you want to go for antibioticum resistance.

Notes: Anthrax is a bacterium, not a virus. My bad
The russion bioweapon program is apparently still in operation.

I read about this, but I am not sure if it was fictional or not.
Some guy who was tired forgot to check the exhaust filters or something.  Pumped it right out into the city and killed his family along with others.
It could have been worse if the wind was going the other way. It could have killed the entire city.

Edit: Also remember the Mad cow disease. That was just a faulty prion, nothing more.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:08:28 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

Wat
You consider a 1/3 of humanity insignificant?!
Over the time period we're talking about for parasite that isn't considered a threat? Yes, that's pretty insignificant.

I'm saying managing to infect 1/3 of humanity when no one tries to counter that infection, no one cares about it, and there are no ill effects is... unimpressive, to say the least. You'd be far better off referring to something like lactobactillus, which has managed to infect roughly 100% of the population.

Oh and yes, humanity does give a shit. It's just that there's no effective treatment for the buggers when they're incubating.
Evidence that anyone cares, please?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »

As I said before. It's impressive for a parasite that doesn't target humans, and ends up there only by accident.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »

Before the school's internet so rudely cut me off I was going to comment how we've been finding potentially alien organism fossilized into meteor(ites).  Or was it fastr fossilized?  Anywho there may be some cysts out there that survive the fall to Earth.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8