Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I like this forums!  (Read 5626 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: I like this forums!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »

Another circlejerking thread.

I think I've lost count.

This is strange because I was thinking about how many circlejerking threads there were in bay12. Huh.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:24:06 pm by justinlee999 »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 12:24:45 pm »

That's the only thing I dislike about the lower boards. It's difficult to mention anything conservatively minded, no matter the context, without someone throwing an insult in there somewhere. Everyone certainly isn't a fount of vitriolic anti-conservatism, but it's enough to make me avoid political threads completely.

Chill, we're all friends here, you conservative pond scum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »

I think I've lost count.

This is strange because I was thinking about how many circlejerking threads there were in bay12. Huh.

I think we made it a whole month without one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »

I think I've lost count.

I think we made it a whole month without one.

Which is quite impressive, as far as circlejerks go. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: B12 isn't perfect (by a long shot), but it's also a far better community than any of the others I've been a part of. I haven't been banned for stating an honest opinion, I haven't been shunned for not agreeing with a forum legend that everyone else is busy brown-nosing, and so forth. Perhaps I shouldn't be willing to classify "less shitty than normal" as "good", but so be it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »

I think I've lost count.

Unlike other forums, Bay12 circle jerk threads usually degenerate into the whole "Well, it's better than other places, but it's still not perfect."

So it's a cynical sort of circle jerking.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »

I think I've lost count.

Unlike other forums, Bay12 circle jerk threads usually degenerate into the whole "Well, it's better than other places, but it's still not perfect."

Hence, why people like me show up and stick. Compared to many other groups, in my eyes this place is an Ephebe- well shit  :o. I googled that to check the spelling, and guess what i found. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebe. By the way, i was referencing the city of philosophers in the Discworld, and incidentally am also a freshly turned 17 year old male, something this forums abounds with for much the same reasons as most, seeking an place of intelligent discussion, humor with that mix of finesse and brick jokes, and of course, heavy, heavy cynicism. This... prophecy deserves close attention.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »

I think I've lost count.

Hence, why people like me show up and stick. Compared to many other groups, in my eyes this place is an Ephebe which has wised up on why they get tyrants- well shit  :o. I googled that to check the spelling, and guess what i found. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebe. By the way, i was referencing the city of philosophers in the Discworld, and incidentally am also a freshly turned 17 year old male, something this forums abounds with for much the same reasons as most, seeking an place of intelligent discussion, humor with that mix of finesse and brick jokes, and of course, heavy, heavy cynicism. This... prophecy deserves close attention.
Reading a thinner book

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

Yea, ones ability to enjoy Dwarf Fortress does act as a reasonable maturity test, but I feel there are other cultural factors at work here as well. We don't offer an atmosphere that awards or reinforces popular 'internet' culture. The needless posting of tired memes simply for the the sake of showboating them about, attacking ignorance on a subject and discrimination against minority groups are all frowned upon. Without others to cheer them on, the common garden troll often feels alienated, and moves on to another site.
Still, it is always important to credit Toadys work as a game for intellectuals, assuming we are working within the debatable premise that it is, in fact, a game on the common sense of the word.

Yeah, I know man, it sucks. So many people here just need to be kicked to the curb but I refrain from doing it because I don't want to be banned.
You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome

I think I've lost count.

Isn't everyone familiar with the self-congratulatory nature that pervades Bay12?

I think I've lost count.

Humility circle jerking is still circle jerking. 

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »

Well the difference between an echo chamber (which is bad) and anything else (which isn't) is an echo chamber doesn't allow criticism of the presented ideas. So, inform us how we could do better, how we're not as good as other places, etc, and we can improve.

There's nothing wrong with "circle jerking" unless it devolves into tossing people out who don't partake in it. (you'd have a good case for us doing that in the political threads, but not much else)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »

Thing is every circlejerk thread seems to be made by relatively new members, probably new enough to not even remember the last one.

I guess the slightly more veteran members are just more jaded or something.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:22 pm »

Saying "keep it up", in bay12, is not a bad thing, and neither is being impressed by what you've found.
Reading a thinner book

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:32 pm »

Saying "keep it up", in bay12, is not a bad thing, and neither is being impressed by what you've found.
Keep it up, Bay 12, or I'm dumping you like the last forum that let me down (in bed).

3. Run Resize Enable

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »

Also, judging from the original post, i smell someone trying to prove a point about our circle-jerking. No one fits their avatar that well.
Reading a thinner book

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

Also, judging from the original post, i smell someone trying to prove a point about our circle-jerking. No one fits their avatar that well.

Mm, remember Poe. Looking over the person's posting record, this doesn't seem terribly out of line. Pretty much all their previous posts were in the upper boards discussing gameplay, which says to me that they're a (fairly new?) player who has fallen into the same attitude as many before, rather than a sockpuppet trying to make a point.

3. Run Resize Enable

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »

Thing is every circlejerk thread seems to be made by relatively new members, probably new enough to not even remember the last one.

I guess the slightly more veteran members are just more jaded or something.

The presence and acceptance of circlejerk threads encourages the escaped lunatic to consider content-free ephemeral posting to be acceptable.
Whose life has been enriched by "What would the avatar of the person above you say"? Could we not shun useless meta threads and slat the earth on
which they grow?
Pages: 1 [2] 3