Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I like this forums!  (Read 5613 times)

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I like this forums!
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:07:49 am »

people are so smart and clever! I think it is because df is not for everyone.
I am grinding m&b warband now and asking some advanced questions on the forum: people are too stupid there. they can't even answer properly on simple q's!!
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I like this forums!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:11 am »

Yea, ones ability to enjoy Dwarf Fortress does act as a reasonable maturity test, but I feel there are other cultural factors at work here as well. We don't offer an atmosphere that awards or reinforces popular 'internet' culture. The needless posting of tired memes simply for the the sake of showboating them about, attacking ignorance on a subject and discrimination against minority groups are all frowned upon. Without others to cheer them on, the common garden troll often feels alienated, and moves on to another site.
Still, it is always important to credit Toadys work as a game for intellectuals, assuming we are working within the debatable premise that it is, in fact, a game on the common sense of the word.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:49 am »

Yeah, it's mostly the culture.

I always wanted bay12 to do a sort of Anti-Troll raid, where we jump on a random forum and just start complimenting people and giving them emotional support, then leave without a word and go back a month later to see if they still don't know what the fuck happened.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:39 am »

Of course, in anonymity!
I actually think that if enough people do that, they're going to be severely confused.
All that correct grammar and positive vibes!

Anyways, agree thati like bay12.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:08 am »

That sounds like an outstanding idea. Max pretty much hit the nail on the head as well; it's not necessarily true that B12 members are on average more intelligent or anything, but the random crap that is the core of the majority of the discourse in a lot of places is (generally) frowned upon here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29:16 am »

Are we really better?  I've been here a while, I don't see it.  We're a little bit better in GD, but I've lamented many times the meme bullshit that accretes on everything up north. 

As for anti-trolling, this may come as a surprise but a lot of people on other forums actually don't like bay12ers, precisely because we have a tendency to invade other forums and start trying to dorf everything up. 
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:32:28 am »

As for anti-trolling, this may come as a surprise but a lot of people on other forums actually don't like bay12ers, precisely because we have a tendency to invade other forums and start trying to dorf everything up. 
The same way that Bronies try to pony everything up, and Homestuckers try to MSPA everything up, and Touhou fans try to touhou everything up, and adventure time fans try to adventure time everything up and so on and so on and so on... The point is that is only takes a handful of obsessed fans to make a stereotype for a fan base.

The exception is Twilight. That stereotype is 100% accurate.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:35:07 am »

We're not perfect in all regards on the lower boards either. Lots of self righteousness if you press the right buttons.

I like bay12 and the lower boards too (else I wouldn't be here (or made a lower boards IRC, seriously)), but mostly because I feel the general expectations here fit a culture I'd like to be in, rather than any superiority to the rest of the internet on a maturity front.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:40:12 am »

The lower forums definitely have some issues.  I've said what I feel about the stream of consciousness threads, and mostly stay out of them unless I have something I really want to say there.  The liberalism down here also can occasionally reach knee-jerk/echo-chamber levels, which doesn't foster healthy debate.  It's only made worse by the fact that the only conservatives who speak up are grotesques, possibly because the sensible ones know they're going to get dogpiled if they say anything.
Shoes...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:08 am »

I do quite like the emotion threads (happy, sad, rage, wtf, terrified). They're like a forum version of twitter or a facebook wall or something.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:40 am »

The lower forums definitely have some issues.  I've said what I feel about the stream of consciousness threads, and mostly stay out of them unless I have something I really want to say there.  The liberalism down here also can occasionally reach knee-jerk/echo-chamber levels, which doesn't foster healthy debate.  It's only made worse by the fact that the only conservatives who speak up are grotesques, possibly because the sensible ones know they're going to get dogpiled if they say anything.
But rest assured, if you are a pretentious, self indulged 'Save the world with protest signs' type left wing extremist, things are damn comfortable!

*Reclines chain*
Life is good.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44:29 am »

I do quite like the emotion threads (happy, sad, rage, wtf, terrified). They're like a forum version of twitter or a facebook wall or something.
I agree. I don't have facebook nor twitter, but i compose loads of posts for the emotion threads in my head every day.
Most of them don't make it in tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 10:45:47 am »

But rest assured, if you are a pretentious, self indulged 'Save the world with protest signs' type left wing extremist, things are damn comfortable!

*Reclines chain*
Life is good.

Enjoying your Liberal bondage dungeon?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08:42 am »

I like them too!

There's actually a lot of drawbacks around here. I think it's a little too pretentious for my taste, but people trying to act smart beats people trying to act dumb any time.

Upper boards are good for humor. Middle boards are good for conversation. Lower boards are great for lurking. Not really worth typing anything because everything goes by so fast down here.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »

That's the only thing I dislike about the lower boards. It's difficult to mention anything conservatively minded, no matter the context, without someone throwing an insult in there somewhere. Everyone certainly isn't a fount of vitriolic anti-conservatism, but it's enough to make me avoid political threads completely.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: [1] 2 3