Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ideal world generation, and good adv mods  (Read 2322 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
ideal world generation, and good adv mods
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:22 pm »

I'm delving into the work of adventure mode, and that being the case I ha e two initial j queries, the first of which being of higher priority.

Firstly, what would be the ideal sort of world to generate for adventuring? Bonus points for seeds.

Secondly, are there any especially awesome mods for adventure mode?

And if anybody has any tips they feel they should impart to a new adventurer, you're more than welcome to include those.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: ideal world generation, and good adv mods
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »

For worldgen, use the advanced worldgen to set the end year to ~125 (so some, but not all buildings could be abandoned because of dead humans. (ignoring death by war or w/e)) and set mega and semi-mega beast pops very high. I also increase the number of caves, and the numbers of varieties of all night creatures. Although, I do remove bogeymen, because bogeymen are honestly a heap of BS that I don't want to put up with.

Some mods you might want to use are Wanderer's Friend (I use a highly simplified version of it), and you should modify your raws yourself to give dwarves human cities (until the next version is released) and castles/tombs. I'd give goblins castles as well, just so you can go beat them up for fun. I would also suggest my Spellcrafts mod for a simple magic extension, just for shameless self-advertising points :P
Having some casters/werewolves running around, and having the option to start as a caster/werewolf yourself, can be very fun, and not all towers will be necromancer towers; some will be populated by other forms of secret magics.

Alternatively, you may also want to set humans' and dwarves' MAXAGE tag to something far higher, like 350:400 for humans and an equal extension for dwarves, so you can set worldgen to run for ~350 years. It'll result in more towers. It's wierd to find people who are 300 years old, yes, but that's currently the only way to runa  longer worldgen without having 99.9% of all buildings abandoned because the original owner died of old age 150 years ago and his family won't take over for him.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »

I'm delving into the work of adventure mode, and that being the case I ha e two initial j queries, the first of which being of higher priority.

Firstly, what would be the ideal sort of world to generate for adventuring? Bonus points for seeds.

Secondly, are there any especially awesome mods for adventure mode?

And if anybody has any tips they feel they should impart to a new adventurer, you're more than welcome to include those.
You can try out my mod, though it's updating soon with a bunch of new stuff so you may want to wait. It should also work with the Spellcraft mod.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:20:20 am »

In combat with armed opponents, you always want to go for the legs. If you can get their artery, fracture the bone or even sever one of their legs, you'll have a massive advantage as they soon suffer from extreme pain and blood loss.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

A great world for adventuring depends on what you want out of it.

Interested in mostly fighting people and surviving ambushes? Turn savagery and large beasts down a little bit, and let the history generate for a long while (100-125 is the furthest I ever bother with). Always make sure the world is connected by land, unless you want to spend a long time swimming through huge oceans to reach other continents/areas.

Want to fight lots of huge monsters and wild beasts? Savagery and large beasts up would be the obvious thing, but also do a short history gen so the beasts don't get killed in legends.

As far as mods go, Genesis is my favourite. Grab that, mix it with Wanderer's Friend mod, and you have a very solid adventure mode. If you want a large variety of weapons and armour, also check out my own mod (in my signature).

Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

You could try using the Perfect World utility to help you design your map. 

I also strongly agree that you should add the [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] tag to all entities in entity default so that all civilizations will build castles (why not give elves forts too?)  Otherwise you won't be able to interact with them, other then when they ambush you.  Adding cities for dwarves is somewhat disappointing now.  The only equipment sold in shops will be human equipment, even though the city is owned by dwarves.  The only thing which really distinguishes a dwarf city from a human city right now is that it will be inconveniently located in the middle of the mountains, and thus very hard to get to.  If you add castles, there will be some dwarven equipment in the keep, which you can take with no consequences...

On another note, you may also wish to modify [SHOOT_FORCE] for bows and crossbows down to something like 30.  The current value (1000) means that bows and crossbows completely bypass all armor like it isn't there (think railguns from quake, if that helps).  See this thread for more discussion of archery balancing, or this one if you want to know details about projectile science.  The exact values of the raws needed to produce "realistic" archery behavior are not yet known, and proper balancing may not even be possible by just modding the raws.  We are working on it...

Bobba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:28:35 am »

Hello,
can someone tell me what i must change in these Raws that Dwarf and Goblins lives in Hamlets, Towns and Fortress too?
And how i can decrease the Number of Bogeymans? When my Comrads get killed by some wildniss freaks and i alone in deep Forest and the night comes arrive 6 or more Bogeyman. I can not defeat so much, i want to decrease it to 1-3, is that possible?

PS: Sorry for my english.  :o

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:58:14 pm »

To get dwarves and goblins to build towns and hamlets, you need to modifiy /raw/objects/entity_default.txt and change [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE] to [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY] under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] (dwarves) and [ENTITY:EVIL] (goblins).  Note - this will just make dwarves and goblins build human type cities, and SELL ONLY HUMAN SIZED ARMOR AND EQUIPMENT (in the rare cases that shops sell anything at all).  If you want a source of dwarf/goblin equipment, then you can look in the keeps at the center of towns/cities, or in fortresses.  To get Dwarves/goblins to build above-ground fortresses, you need to add    [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] to [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and [ENTITY:EVIL].  You might also want to add [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] if you'd like to have dwarven/goblin tombs to explore.  Unfortunately, for anything resembling proper dwarven/goblin settlements you will need to wait until the next release.  You will need to generate a new world for any of this to take effect.

As for the bogeymen, you can get rid of all the bogeyman by making the "Number of Bogeyman Types" zero in advanced world generation.  I don't think there is any way to reduce the number of bogeymen per ambush.  However, if you can kill one bogeyman, and you are faster than them, you can probably almost as easily kill a large number with a little strategy.  What you will need to do is run away from them, and then wait (".") until one is next to you.  Then attack this one bogeyman until other bogeymen also move next to you.  Then run away again, and repeat.  In this way you can only fight one enemy at a time.  Just make sure that you don't run away too far, as if a bogeyman gets too far away from you it will disappear and respawn in front of you fully healed. 

Also, since the title of this thread includes "good adv mods" you might want to check the mod in my signature which allows armor to provide some protection from bolts/arrows.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:02:23 pm by Pirate Bob »

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »

I tend to like to create very large islands/regions with a history thats as long as I can make it with an extremely high semi/megabeast count and titan count
this way there'll be clusters of night creature lairs near halmets or towns on occasion, even in year 1.5k and there'll be alot of loot in the creature lairs; doing this also ensures that there'll be necromancer towers

mods that I have heard of include genisis and masterwork, but idk any specifics

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:28:57 pm »

I tend to like to create very large islands/regions with a history thats as long as I can make it with an extremely high semi/megabeast count and titan count
this way there'll be clusters of night creature lairs near halmets or towns on occasion, even in year 1.5k and there'll be alot of loot in the creature lairs; doing this also ensures that there'll be necromancer towers

Won't all the humans be dead by year 1500, so that all cities are empty?  Do you mod human lifespan so that they survive?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »

Won't all the humans be dead by year 1500, so that all cities are empty?  Do you mod human lifespan so that they survive?

They procreate. They don't need to live forever to continue to exist.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »

However, they will not inhabit the hosues in cities; once the original owner of the building dies, it is abandoned. After 1500 years, 100% of buildings in major cities (or something very close to it) should be abandoned, excepting the castle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.