Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux: Getting Started?  (Read 710 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Linux: Getting Started?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »

Dear geeks, nerds, and people who debate about the difference between geeks and nerds, of Bay12, this morning I woke up feeling particularly masochistic. I have decided to run Linux. How would I go about that without deleting Windows? Can I run it off of a CD? Can I run DF? What knowledge will I need? And what in Armok's name do people mean when they talk about the "candy"? Please help!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linux: Getting Started?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:42 am »

Try a Mint or Ubuntu live cd.  There is a DF version of linux, but it can take some fiddling to get working.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:35 am »

And what in Armok's name do people mean when they talk about the "candy"? Please help!
People are referring to Adamantine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:01 am »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:37:59 am »

I think that was an extreme spoonerism.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:48:00 am »

You can use Oracle Virtual Box to run Linux along with Windows in case you are attached to it.

I tried Linux once, but it was too unfriendly :c
Also, I couldn't figure out how to compile libraries and link them using Code::Blocks. Bad experience all-around...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:57 am »

Skyrunner's unfriendliness was based around compiling c++ code with heavy use of libraries through an IDE, though. That will always be a nightmare, and doing it an unfamiliar environment doesn't make it any easier. For normal use, Linux is no less friendly than windows - except for the part where you have choice, and some of those choices are bad, when getting it.

The other bit of Skyrunners problem was my suggesting a terrible, terrible Desktop for her at first... If you do Mint, don't use the Cinammon desktop. :P

(And in some ways it's friendlier - though those aren't ways you're likely to use it either, except maybe the package manager, which can go either way. I just got so fed up with doing remote web service with windows that I downloaded Cygwin to handle it, hah.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:25:53 am by GlyphGryph »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:30:03 am »

When people feel like choosing an OS they are not used to, such as Linux or Apple, I like to ask them: Why?
Don't take me as a pessimist, I'm not trying to imply there is no good reason. There are plenty of good reasons to change OS... to Linux. But you need to make sure they are the right reasons for you.
So, why do you feel Linux can serve you better than Windows?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:42:29 am »

How would I go about that without deleting Windows? Can I run it off of a CD? Can I run DF? What knowledge will I need? And what in Armok's name do people mean when they talk about the "candy"? Please help!

Partitions or Virtual Machine. You'll have to look up both of those, they are big questions in their own right, but there's plenty of resources for those processes. It's super easy if you new you were going to install it in advance and set Windows up in the right way, but I doubt that happened here.

As has been said, you can run off a CD (or DVD, for most of the new editions that don't have CD versions), though obviously installing stuff might be a bit sticky.

Once you get an actual copy, yes, DF runs without any issues in my experience, and has for a while.

Linux has no adamntine.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:16:29 am »

So, why do you feel Linux can serve you better than Windows?
I would like to try something that would test my programming skills. I saw something of Linux when I was imaging computers for the call center at my dad's office, so I thought I'd give it a try.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:55 am »

I recommend Ubuntu with the Windows Installer: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer
Just run that, fill in a few boxes as needed, and click next until it's done. It's super-easy, and my first time using linux, I had it up and running within ~ an hour, mostly dependent on download speed. No messing around in BIOS or anything particularly scary; just run the exe in windows, and follow the instructions. It lets you do a dual-boot configuration, giving ubuntu a specified amount of free disk space from your windows partition; so you don't even have to bother with formatting drives. Again, super-easy-mode.