Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiling Custom Fun  (Read 633 times)

Whuppee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stockpiling Custom Fun
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:39:45 am »

I must be doing something wrong. Please advise if further information, screenshots, or a world download would be appropriate.

If I create a generic food stockpile, for example, it will begin to receive food, seeds, and similar, without issue or delay. But if If I create a custom stockpile, or if I place a generic food stockpile and immediately customize its settings.. to accept only seeds, or only plants, for example.. it receives nothing, ever. I would emphasize that this issue seems rather generic: I'm experiencing this same problem with custom stone and block stockpiles. I have not tried it on any other types.

This occurs whether or not there is any other stockpile competing for the same sub/type, independently of any linkages, and while set to accept from any source.

Related, the quickstart stockpile subsection (link) advises blocking the entire subtype and then permitting the desired one. I may be misreading it, but on the main stockpile page (link) .. it seems to suggest that blocking everything and then permitting something is or can be problematic. Is there actually a functional difference? If so, I should note that I have tried creating my custom stockpiles both ways to no avail.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiling Custom Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

The block all warning's because some types of stockpile have quality and material settings that you don't want to mess with. It don't actually cause any trouble in of itself, other than headache in figuring out what setting's gone wrong.

As for your seed issue, did you disable the other stockpile's seed category? It might behave improperly if the new stockpile don't have barrels but the old does for seeds. I'd advise against using barrels for seeds since dwarves aren't smart about it :D

You could also check the orders with o key, it deals with allowing/disabling some hauling types, but I doubt it's the current problem. I've not had issues with stockpiles once I've tuned them exactly. You might want to try giving the stockpile with all the stuff on it to the stockpile you're trying to make work ( or having the destantion stockpile take from the main stockpile, it works same way, just differs in which you starts with ).

ShuangXi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiling Custom Fun
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:12 am »

I have this issue alot.  Disabling the custom item in the main stockpile usually works (eg you create a custom seed pile, then disable seeds in the 'main' stockpile)

What he said above is also true... containers can cause trouble with this.  What sometimes works for me if it's not too much trouble is to completely remove the main stockpile so that the custom one is the only one that remains... once the dwarves start moving stuff you can put it back.

Still doesn't always work for me... I currently have a custom stockpile for Dimple Cups, and there are never any there despite being the only stockpile allowing them.