Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43540 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »

I still suspect Femitheist is genuine, just mentally ill.
There's also RadFemHub, which has some good critique of society at times, but you have to find it in between rather disturbing tirades aimed at transsexuals (they seem to consider the idea that ciswomen could have an advantage over transwomen some sort of attack on women in general and transmen are apparently gender traitors. Oh and good luck getting them to use the right pronouns) and articles that seem to follow the mindset of 'any critique is good critique'. For example, I remember reading a piece which postulated that necrophilia is the love for (causing) death and that all men are necrophiles, which explains what's wrong with the world. Needless to say, they're considered to be completely out of touch with reality by pretty much every other feminist group I know. Over at the parts of reddit affiliated with ShitRedditSays (who themselves are pretty staunch feminists) they're generally called TERFs (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists), which, not incidentally, sounds like it's the secretion of some sort of lower animal.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:13:06 pm by Virex »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:12 pm »

Any of the feminists I know who hate men are capable of recognizing that's a personal thing and would never want to base a "re-ordering of society" on it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »

Any of the feminists I know who hate men are capable of recognizing that's a personal thing and would never want to base a "re-ordering of society" on it.

Feminist isn't even a "Theory" or "Ideology" in it of itself but a series of different, often opposing, beliefs that have to deal with, simply speaking, women.

Feminist is probably one of the most valueless meaningless terms I ever came across.

So how many of those "Man hating feminists" were actually meaningfully feminists and not just people who had an oppinion on how women should be treated by society, buisness, and any other aggrigate you can think of is beyond me.

Unless you were a hardcore feminist and held a grudge.

Like this, what does this mean? You know there is an actual term for the feminist theories that involve the belief that all human society it structured around men with the sole purpose of keeping women down right?

And that term isn't "Hardcore"

---

This is actually bugging me now... I can just remember this videogame I had that describes this guy as "a little bit of a feminist" but all he does is actually show women respect. That isn't feminism, that is just being a person who has respect for women.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:15:18 pm by Neonivek »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:01 pm »

Is it just me or are you guys confusing feminism with female superiority? I thought feminism was more about equal gender rights and stuff like that. In all debates about this topic I took the feminism side (BTW, I'm a dude) and we never talked about superiority of females over males over females. It was more about superiority of males VS. equality of both genders.

I think the definition of feminism is rather vague since everyone can claim to be a feminist and don't know shit about what they are talking about. I suppose modern feminism tends to be more about female superiority.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:43 pm »

From where I see it, feminism promises equality and then focuses entirely on women's issues. Furthering equality of the human race by ignoring the problems of men, and all that sort of thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »

Is it just me or are you guys confusing feminism with female superiority? I thought feminism was more about equal gender rights and stuff like that. In all debates about this topic I took the feminism side (BTW, I'm a dude) and we never talked about superiority of females over males over females. It was more about superiority of males VS. equality of both genders.

I think the definition of feminism is rather vague since everyone can claim to be a feminist and don't know shit about what they are talking about. I suppose modern feminism tends to be more about female superiority.
Their not, Granorke is. I asked a question they were answering.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »

I suppose modern feminism tends to be more about female superiority.

No it certainly does not. Feminism is a collection of theories. There is no "One feminism" and most feminists are not anywhere close to female superiority.

For example one form of feminism simply suggests that society undervalues house work and that in order to gain a better look at a society you have to include that in your measurement as well.

It doesn't say that women are supperior and it doesn't exclude men who are also homemakers and it doesn't, in the slightest, downplay the work a male does.

--

It is like everyone's image of feminism comes from Marry Poppins with that song line that went "Though we adore [men] individually, we agree that as a group their rather stupid".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:02:16 pm by Neonivek »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »

I suppose modern feminism tends to be more about female superiority.

No it certainly does not. Feminism is a collection of theories. There is no "One feminism" and most feminists are not anywhere close to female superiority.

Well, that was practically what I have said except for that sentence, which was referring to a kind of feminism, to be fair.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

As far as I saw it, Feminism related to elevation of females, and Chauvinism related to the elevation of males.

With Males being currently above females in some bureaucratic respects, therefore 'Feminism' can mean the elevation of females to the point where they are equal to males.

i.e. Gender equality.

But I feel that feminism as a word, doesn't mean gender equality. People already have a phrase for that. Gender Equality.

However, now I'm going to go google and dictionary hunting, as I'm probably wrong.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »

From where I see it, feminism promises equality and then focuses entirely on women's issues. Furthering equality of the human race by ignoring the problems of men, and all that sort of thing.

The fact that you don't understand why the fight for equality focuses on women's rights and not male rights is exactly why feminism exists.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »

The fact that you don't understand why the fight for equality focuses on women's rights and not male rights is exactly why feminism exists.

Because people think that men's problems are invalid, because there are more men in positions of power than women?
I really don't see what you're getting at here.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 01, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »

Feminism also ignores children’s rights, worker’s rights, gay rights, and government corruption.

Unless you expect every social movement to encompass the totality of human injustice and suffering, I can not imagine why you would think that “Feminism ignores men’s problems,” is a valid criticism. It wouldn’t bloody well be called feminism if it was about men too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 01, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »

This is really just a linguistic problem. In practice, feminism and gender equality are the same thing to the people who believe in them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »

Feminism also ignores children’s rights, worker’s rights, gay rights, and government corruption.

Unless you expect every social movement to encompass the totality of human injustice and suffering, I can not imagine why you would think that “Feminism ignores men’s problems,” is a valid criticism. It wouldn’t bloody well be called feminism if it was about men too.
That's my point?
It's meant to be an equality movement while ignoring ~50% of the world's population.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 01, 2012, 08:48:24 pm »

You know what? You guys are right. Feminism ignores men's problems. Gender equality means equality for men too. Y'know, everyone gets the same treatment.

"EVERYONE, GET IN THE LINE AND REMOVE YOUR CLOTHES! IT'S EQUALIZING TIME BITCHEZ!"

/sarcasm

So, what do you say about rape and beating? That can make men's problems small as a dust compared to women's problems. If you want to make genders equal you gotta defend the women's rights. It's like a pair of scales.

Edit: edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:51:11 pm by Leatra »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43