Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43647 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:12 pm »

Are they attractive or repulsive?

Depends on mass of the object.

And how intoxicated the observer is.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »

Here is the "model" as I understand it. Or at least the argument. I will continue to make statements as to whether or not I believe this to be the model. You are in the best place to judge that - but this is my understanding.

In two parts. First: a paraphrase, with attempts at clarifying concepts, stripping out judgements and confusing language
It is incorrect that women do not like nice guys. This is not the relevant attribute in the relationship between a man and a woman.

This comes to issue of actor and receiver. The basic actor/receiver relationship is that the actor works intent and the receiver receives. It does not matter if the actor is nice. But the actor/receiver relationship works.

When a man acts nice, he's not acting in harmony with *vague something*. He is playing the role of the receiver. If the woman is seeking an actor (how does this work? Should the receiver be 'seeking' at all? Shouldn't they be waiting to be found?)

When a man acts with clear intent, it is natural for her (the woman above seeking an actor? Women in general? Any woman he approaches?) to react in a receiving way.

Nice guys have trouble taking the role of actor due to emotional issues. They believe there is something wrong with initiating.

Receiving is non-judgemental. If a person wants to be a receiver, they want to subsume their will to someone elses. Any guy who plays the role of actor when interacting with a receiver will be accepted, regardless of whether he's nice or an asshole.

(nice guys broadcasting, doesn't seem to relevant)

Western society fails to understand the nature of actor/receiver and that is why this happens.

Biological women will likely act as a receiver.

So, if you want a woman to respond to you, you must (emphasis mine) act upon her.

Second, a synopsis:
For a man to have success with a woman, he must fill the role of actor, as most women want to subsume their will to someone else and be shaped by them. Not all women want to be receivers, but it is most natural for them to be so.

Would you call this an accurate understanding of your model?

(Also, mystical mumbo jumbo about acting and receiving being fundamental magical forces like gravity, but honestly that doesn't seem all that relevant to the model so I left it out)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:56:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:30 pm »

Both active and passive behaviors can be nice behaviors.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:56 pm »

Well, I believe that women "don't like nice guys" because they don't exert confidence. They usually end up with the "jerks", so to speak, because the "jerks" exert confidence and therefore can handle a conversation quite well. Of course we can't have relationships without trying to cultivate one, so being able to exert an aura of confidence is a necessity.

Nice guys (like me) tend to have emotional issues, and have trouble expressing their true thoughts, and therefore have a hard time making relationships, although that is much truer to introverts than nice guys, really.

Of course this is just baseless conjecture, so feel free not to share my views.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »

-doublepost-
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »

You say that "it is most convenient", "natural", or otherwise best when a Male acts in accordance with Yang
, and a Female acts in accordance with Yin. That is the ideal, which fulfills the greater order.

No.

Forgive me. I think we're making progress, but I don't think I'm intending to convey precisely the same thing I think you think I'm intending to convey. Forgive me if I try to clarify.

I said that:

there is a "tendency" for biological systems to behave in concert with the more fundamental forces.

And I said that:

it's "very convenient" when masculine and feminine energy act together in unison, balance and harmony.

That's not the same as "best when a Male acts in accordance with Yang, and a Female acts in accordance with Yin."

Let's go back to the gravity/airplane analogy. There is a tendency for airplanes to not fly...because of gravity. You'd agree with that, yes? It's take a lot of effort to get an airplane into the air.

That doesn't mean it's "best" for airplanes to not fly. It would be totally wrong to say that it's "better" to not try to oppose gravity and therefore we shouldn't build airplanes because it's not acting in harmony with the force of gravity. That's totally misapplying the idea. Yes, there's an observable, factual tendency for men to lean towards yang and women to lean towards yin...but saying that it's "best for male to act in accordance with Yang, and a Female acts in accordance with Yin" or saying that we "should strive towards these as ideals" would be making the same sort of error.

The tendency of male to yang and female to yin may be factual, just like airplanes tend not to fly unless you try really hard to make them fly, but it's not a "goal."

If you have a guy who wants to to be submissive, and a girl who wants to dominate him...that's fine. You have a correct matching of yin/yang. You have a male body that fits with a female body, and you have a desire to be submissive that fits with a desire to dominate. Everything fits together. It works. It's the relation of yin/yang masculine/feminine that matters...not that the behavior of the physical bodies matches any particular role.

if you completely free Yin and Yang from the ethical concerns of "Acceptable Male Behavior" and "Acceptable Female Behavior", then I think we can agree that any one exchange between two people or objects contains this proactive/reactive element. However, and again as others have said, as the sculptor shapes the clay, so too does the exchange between sculptor and clay change the sculptor, as they learn more about the clay, the shaping process, or the result of their action. Both parties in any exchange affect the other, and are simultaneously affected by them. Maintaining that balance, I would argue, is the true core of a healthy relationship.

I would agree with this. I'm not attempting to assert notions of "proper behavior." And in actual practice, humans are complex enough systems that we all have a mix of both masculine and feminine.

But I do make the simple observation that if you're a guy who is behaving in a generally feminine manner...you're going to have a difficult time attracting women who want to act in a feminine manner themselves, because you're not offering the masculine energy that they want. If your goal is to attract women who act in a masculine manner...you might be more successful. But...if that's your goal, then don't be surprised if they act in a masculine manner and use you in the manner that they want, rather than giving you the behavior that you want.

If you're in a male body and want to act feminine or in a female body and want to act masculine...I offer no judgement of propriety for your decision. But I offer you the suggestion that you not be surprised if you don't get the results you want. And in example I offer you all the "nice guys" out there trying so hard to be sensitive and caring and trying to be "one of the girls" and not push a girl into a relationship.

Is that method successfully getting them girlfriends? My observation is no.

Would they perhaps be more successful if they started actively pursuing what they want? My suspicion is yes.

tl'dr:

It's painful to have these conversations because there's so much emotional baggage surrounding the topic.

For those who want the short version that doesn't require carefully phrased legal language and eastern philosophy...for people who don't want to argue over dictionary definitions or angrily fight against gender stereotyping:

Guys...if you're acting like a girl and don't have a girlfriend and if you're angry all the time because the girl you want is sleeping with guys who "don't love her like you do" but who do the very simple thing of acting on their desires...then stop acting like a girl. Girls don't want girls any more than you want to have a boyfriend. If you want a girlfriend, then be her boyfriend. Don't try to be her girlfriend and don't delude yourself into thinking it's somehow more "respectful" to hang around on the outskirts and act like her servant and emotional punching bag. It's ok for you to have what you want, and she might be very happy to give it you. Make it happen.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2012, 08:25:20 pm »

>poke<

Yes/No?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »

Wow. When did this thread get this heated? Maybe we should arrange a time and a place and duel this out.

"I SAID GIRLS DON'T LIKE NICE GUYS GODDAMIT! WE ALL SHOULD BE BADASS!" *Leatra shoots his revolver at a crowd of nice guys*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

Bucket, wherever do you get this idea of fundamental forces? That's what I'm wondering.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »

Wow. When did this thread get this heated? Maybe we should arrange a time and a place and duel this out.

"I SAID GIRLS DON'T LIKE NICE GUYS GODDAMIT! WE ALL SHOULD BE BADASS!" *Leatra shoots his revolver at a crowd of nice guys*
It does help you score points when you act tough and tell someone to fuck off

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »

I prefer firm "dude not cool"s.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:45 pm »

indeed with a quick flex of a muscle and a tight clench of your fist, watch that girl's eyes balloon with lust.......

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

My Snark-dar is detecting Snarkasm, at high enough concentrations to be toxic to reasoned discussion. Keep a safe emotional distance from the topic at hand, and proceed with caution. :I

But seriously, I'm trying to create a consensus here, so we can get back to talking about boyfriends and girlfriends, and how to acquire them.
I don't think you're going to form a consensus with LordBucket.  He's essentially making a gender stereotyping argument (see his last post) and using a lot of semantics and mysticism to dodge the completely valid criticisms that have been thrown at him.  And also assuming himself to be right while being ridiculously condescending through psychoanalysis of anyone going against his idea.

Oh right and I just noticed this one
Many of the "disruptions" that this thread was originally posed to discuss are "disruptions" of exactly this sort. If a woman wants a guy to bend her over a couch and fuck her hard...and there's a guy who wants to be "nice" and seek her permission and focus on kindness and sensitivity...that's a situation where there's "not a equivalent amount of intent being applied to an equivalent amount of receiver of that intent." The girl wants to receive something very different than he's offering, and he wants to receive something that she's not interested in giving.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

(Bleh... hate it when the screen hangs, I impatiently hit post again, and then the post happens multiple times. Pardon!)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:58:56 pm by Solifuge »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »

indeed with a quick flex of a muscle and a tight clench of your fist, watch that girl's eyes balloon with lust.......

And after you are done executing epic badassery, don't forget to shove or slap the girl who looks at you with awe because that's how the ladies like it right? After that she'll start slapping you and both of you will make out in the baddest way possible. Slapping girls has the same mechanism of a man melting like butter when he accidently touches a girl he likes.

I follow the teachings of Hollywood.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43