Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress-wide conscription  (Read 2695 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fortress-wide conscription
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »

Were-civet squad ?

How  the hell you managed to make that ?
Capture a were-civet, send in a myriad number of civilian Dwarves in a controlled environment, recruit and train the survivors.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »

Were-civet squad ?

How  the hell you managed to make that ?
Capture a were-civet, send in a myriad number of civilian Dwarves in a controlled environment, recruit and train the survivors.

But they do actually survive as were-X and transform while combacting ?

In my first game I had a vampire with my soldiers, but in the end I killed him (after I putted 3x3 walls around him for 2 years) because he was killing random dwarves.
And that was dangerous.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »

But they do actually survive as were-X and transform while combacting ?
What do you mean by survivability? Once bitten, and if they don't bleed to death, the prospects of that Dwarf surviving greatly increase. Just make sure you empty your hospital/secure where the Dwarf is brought. Once the Dwarf transforms, all wounds heal, lost limbs regrow - science.
Every month for two days on the full moon the Dwarf turns into whatever creature it is afflicted with. If they are a legendary wrestler/biter they will likely kill everything around them. Including friendly Dwarves mind you, so be careful. Were-creatures will never fight a were-creature of their own kind.

In my first game I had a vampire with my soldiers, but in the end I killed him (after I putted 3x3 walls around him for 2 years) because he was killing random dwarves.
And that was dangerous.
Were-creatures are much more friendly. You can have them live amongst your Dwarves and never have a problem, as long as you get them somewhere safe before full moon. Keep in mind the full moon happens 1 day earlier every month, so it might just be easier to keep them sequestered from the rest of the Fort. They don't need to eat or drink (they will get thirsty and hungry - but will never die from either), but they can suffer the unhappiness from being deprived of it. If not attacked with the metal they are vulnerable, were-X's can shrug off horrendous strikes that should bisect Titans. Otherwise they're just your average Dwarf (with amazing regenerative abilities).

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

Best thing to do is give every non miner/woodcutter a crossbow. They will fire while the flee if they are off duty and also train so the can continue to do their jobs and wont get bad thoughts from conscription. With a good animal industry you can have an endless supply of masterwork bone bolts. This was one of my most effective military strategies i have ever employed, i rarely lost another dwarf to ambushes.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »

The only thing to do now, gentlemen, is construct a megafort worthy of the greatest military... and place them there.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 09:33:39 pm »

The bad thought from losing a child or sibling is at most -50 for the loss and -30 for witnessing the death, and the good thought for a new child is +1000 for the mother, +500 for the father, and +100 for siblings. The closer the two thoughts are together, the less time the dwarves spend under the influence of just the bad thoughts.

I generally put all dwarves in a squad anyway to give them waterskins, and from there it's a short step to giving them crossbows and shields, and from there it's a short step to replacing their clothing with non-wearing leather armour, leggings, and boots. It does take some time to get everything set up though, especially if you want it done early on in the fort.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »

In a standard vanilla game, I tend to be able to make enough leather armor by year 2 or 3, after the caravan starts brining in the megaton of leather I usually request.

The next step here is to create a fortress with overlapping crossbow fire across the entire map, rendering any part of the map safe.
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.
Pages: 1 [2]