Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: BYOR 11 - Day 6: Game Over. Mafia Wins  (Read 104694 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 11 - Day 1: Flavorless
« Reply #240 on: November 26, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »

Why else would he be asking about Leafsnail besides the fact you're voting him?  Don't play dumb.
He was asking about what Leaf had to do with my claim. The question even says as much. I explained what Leafsnail had to do with me claiming. He was a major cause.

You should get your eyes checked.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

Oh right UI did you ever explain the hilarious timing of your vote?  I mean not that there's much point in asking a claimed survivor why he's bandwagoning but you did say you were playing like a townie

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »

Also, I really do not like how your claim is changing over time (general auto revive in initial claim, without any indication of one-shot nature, suddenly turned into a one-shot later on in your statements).
You seriously thought a revive wasn't one-shot?
Urist Imiknorris: I've learned not to assume things not given in BYOR roleclaims.  Repeated autorevives do have some precedent in BYORs (Darvi in BYOR 7, for example, could autorevive several times).
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:47 pm »

Unvote

Tylui: Let's see if I understand it right: you build a case on Dariush, keep pushing it for half of D1, then suddenly you drop it and vote Leafsnail without giving any reason at all. That must have been the most shameless bandwagon I have ever seen in my short time playing the game.

Leafsnail: Assuming UI's claim is true, what guarantees that he will work with the scum? Because he is (supposedly) a survivor? As long as the town isn't clearly losing, a survivor would be better off removing the mafia-kill, since he could very well be targeted by it.

UI:
The fact that playing town is more fun and fun is why I play Mafia.
Sure, but you are not always going to be town. This statement serves no purpose at all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:44 pm »

Leafsnail: Assuming UI's claim is true, what guarantees that he will work with the scum? Because he is (supposedly) a survivor? As long as the town isn't clearly losing, a survivor would be better off removing the mafia-kill, since he could very well be targeted by it.
The thing is that in close games (ie games that reach lylo) the best way of removing the mafia kill is to help the mafia.  I learnt this to my cost in a game where I accidentally help lynch a mafia member at lylo as survivor and got vengekilled by Org (fuck you Org) for doing so.  I'll take a bit of time to explain why.

Let's imagine there's a lylo situation: 3 mafia members, 3 townies, 1 survivor.  The survivor can either try to find scum and risk getting killed in the night while the game ends... or he can just agree to help the mafia hammer someone and win immediately.  Which one is he going to choose?

Now, you may respond by saying "Well, not all games get to lylo - like BYOR 10".  This is true, but if the game wouldn't've gotten to lylo anyway it wouldn't have done any harm to have lynched the survivor.  EG in a scenario with 5 townies, 1 survivor and 3 mafia it does no harm to lynch the survivor before lynching the mafia members, even though the survivor may try to find the scum on the first day, because the survivor would almost certainly work with the scum following a mislynch (actually it's beneficial to lynch the survivor first because it narrows the suspect pool and gets rid of a guy who is incentivised to bandwagon onto any vote).

Add in the fact that the guy claiming survivor has a strong chance of being a mafia member because his buddies (see: Tylui, Shakerag) are desperately defending him and it becomes a very good idea to lynch him.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 26, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »

Extend would be good. :O

Tylui:  Got some reasons to go with that bandwagon?

I'm going to spoiler the "leafsnail" section from my last post and then add from there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this was in the "indirected" section:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I originally started looking at Leafsnail because his comments about/to Dariush were interesting, but I didn't read that far into it. Then he and UI started going back and forth. They both kept making themselves look worse in general, but I have no reason to act on UI's claim. I'm assuming an investigative-type will find out the truth on that soon enough.

In my mind, my voting for Leafsnail wasn't a surprise, though I can see how it was to everyone else. For one, I felt the impending day closing down so I did it quicker that normal, but I suppose I should have extended instead! Lesson learned. :O

Extension.

To recap: Urist I is 100% not-town.  Shakerag hilariously contradicted himself while voting me and defending said not-town.  Tylui just performed a blatant bandwagon while ignoring my response to him.

I saw your response. I still am not sure how to clarify. You say Dariush is hunting more than other games, which he's not hunting. (And NOW you are saying his scumhunting sucks.) I don't recall my train of thought with the UI comment, but I think I was misunderstanding what he meant originally. The important bit was that you are contradicting yourself.

Pre-sleep...

Tylui: You were addressing Dariush and instead vote Leafsnail. So as not to repeat Toaster, I ask you this.

Why have you backed off on your target, and was it only now did you realize your 'suspicion' on Dar was based on flimsy reasoning? Why so. And why, of all people, do you pick Leafsnail instead of anything else?

I knew from the start that I was applying a disproportionate amount of pressure, but more pressure is better imo. But in retrospect, yes, my reasoning is even flimsier than I originally thought. I have backed off twicefold because another target has raised my suspicions higher than Dariush.

Leafsnail appears to be flailing about relatively wildly...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »

Unvote

Tylui: Let's see if I understand it right: you build a case on Dariush, keep pushing it for half of D1, then suddenly you drop it and vote Leafsnail without giving any reason at all. That must have been the most shameless bandwagon I have ever seen in my short time playing the game.

You're right! It was a pretty shameless bandwagon, but that's because I believe in it. Notwithstanding the thoughts in my previous posts, and as the votes stand now, UI is going to die. As many others have said, I'd also rather not hang a survivor this early in place of someone I see as scummy.

I'm sorry it took everyone as such a surprise; that was not my intent.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:14 pm »

Add in the fact that the guy claiming survivor has a strong chance of being a mafia member because his buddies (see: Tylui, Shakerag) are desperately defending him and it becomes a very good idea to lynch him.

I want you to quote me where I defended UI.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 26, 2012, 04:42:32 pm »

Let's imagine there's a lylo situation: 3 mafia members, 3 townies, 1 survivor.  The survivor can either try to find scum and risk getting killed in the night while the game ends... or he can just agree to help the mafia hammer someone and win immediately.  Which one is he going to choose?
He's going to let his revive handle the mafiakill (automatically) and use his kill on one of them (because fuck their hopes), then if there's still one left the next night he'll block them (because fuck their kill).

Not that hard. My role is extremely capable of dicking with kills.

And your buddies (see: Jack, Toaster) are doing their damnedest to keep you alive at my expense.

I can call scumteams too!

Everyone, I'd like to propose that we lynch Leafsnail today, choose a target for my kill tonight, then lynch me tomorrow if neither of them are scum.

Since Leafsnail is scum, everyone wins except him.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 26, 2012, 04:43:41 pm »

Oh man, you guys are talkative today! Love an active game.

...catching up:

Leafsnail:
firstly this is the most townie I've ever seen Dariush play.  Secondly your explanation for your Dariush vote is a strategy for mislynching people (which works especially well on Dariush because Dariush acts scummy as hell once you get him angry), not a strategy for identifying scum.  This implies Dariush is town because mafia members don't usually try to mislynch their buddies.
(and similar Dariush-related answers): No, I think your contention that Dariush is playing townie is both false and scummy; he has been known to raeg as town or be calm as scum, his level of bile should not be indicative of his alignment, and your continued pressing of this point is really not helping you seem less scummy, on the contrary it makes it seem you have an ulterior motive to clear him of suspicion.

Dariush is a player who almost invariably turns up something suspicious when you tunnel him, so this is a mislynching strategy.
Not so, otherwise the correct play would be to just stay clear of him. Tunneling him for a while may or may not turn something suspicious, but then it needs to be analysed and weighed in context with the rest of the game, so even if it does it's misleading of you to say that it must be a mislynching strategy. It can equally be a strategy to, you know, scumhunt him.

So no, still not rolefishing, and your doubling down on that stance is scummy.
So yeah that is a coinflip answer with a sentence of handwaving that tells me nothing about your alignment or the game.

Actions could inform you if there's a theme if 1) they are fairly rare actions and are modified weirdly implying that there are other people with differently modified or unmodified versions of the action or 2) you have a certain class of action and there's something to imply other people have it too (eg "You can revive once on death.  You can kill another player - if you do so, that player can never be revived" or "You can follow another player in the night.  If another player tries to follow you they will always see you visit their house" and so on).  As an example I would take Hapah from last game - the fact he had a revival ability and a "kill everybody else" action implied there may have been ways for other people to survive being killed, thus suggesting a revival theme.
Also bullshit. Just because you could give an answer based on your role does not make the question rolefishing. See: "Hey Bob, if you had a daykill when would you use it?" Bob (thinking to himself): well, I do have a daykill so I'll give an answer based on that instead of a generic one.

The question is still not rolefishing. Your mental contortions to make it seem so are scummy, as they betray either a need not to go back on your statements (as townie you could just have said "oh, right, never mind then" but as scum you shouldn't as it could be seen as scummy) or a need to build a bullshit case on the person asking the question (you know, "a mislynch strategy").

Imiknorris:
This has all been validated by UI claiming a form of scum by the way
Survivors are not a form of scum and you damn well know it. Remember BYOR 10?
I do. Survivors are not scum per se, but they are definitely not town, a point I made clearly in BYOR10. Whatever you are, you are not town, so prolonging your existence is not a priority for town.

I tend to believe your survivor claim based on meta: on previous games you have said that if you were a survivor you would claim it D1; I don't recall ever seeing it happen, but you doing it here makes sense. On the other hand, survivor or not, a non-town with a kill shouldn't be running loose, and you are scummy enough to be faking at least part of that claim, so yeah: lynching you has a higher upside than letting you live. The only downside is that Leafsnail survives.

You seriously thought a revive wasn't one-shot?
Urist Imiknorris: I've learned not to assume things not given in BYOR roleclaims.  Repeated autorevives do have some precedent in BYORs (Darvi in BYOR 7, for example, could autorevive several times).
So could Jim as recently as BYOR 10, so yeah, you (UI) were dishonest not to specify, and scummy for saying you didn't need to. Which reminds me, on the topic of ambiguous claims:

(auto) Onion Reserves: I revive if I'm nightkilled.
(1-shot, night) x5: Red Pikmin: Block; Yellow Pikmin: Delay; Blue Pikmin: Protect; Purple Pikmin: Kill; White Pikmin: Randomize
Regardless of whether you think it's obvious or not, your failing to explicitly claim your revive as one-shot is scummy. You were hedging your bets and claiming a little bit fakey, so how are we to know how fake is the rest?

On top of that, the 1-shot x5 does not specify whether it must be one of each, or a total of five in any combination. My role from BYOR8 had a x3 action that could protect, randomize, or block, and did not need to be one of each, I could do three blocks for instance. So, just as your ambiguous language left open the possibility of you having multiple revives, it also leaves it open that you have up to five kills. Sounding more like an SK rather than survivor, yes?

So, you claim to have (at least one) nightkill and be guaranteed to survive (at least one) night. It would be stupid of town to let a non-town with those abilities live to use the kill(s) on whoever they want.

Quote from: UI
Again, they'd have to kill me before they'd have the leverage to make me side with them. And then I'd be bitter, and I have ways of fucking with their kills
Scum don't need leverage on a Survivor at all, do they? You'll side with scum if they are dominant, town if town is dominant: it's in your interest to do so. Hell, unless you really antagonize the scum, they've no reason to attack you at all, as it runs counter to their wincon (you are potentially an asset). Is there something I'm missing?
The fact that playing town is more fun and fun is why I play Mafia.
This is utter bullshit. Sure, as survivor I would too prefer a town victory if possible, but I will take any path to victory that presents itself. Playing to win is paramount, and your trying to say you'd side with town because of fuzzy feelings is disingenuous and a scummy attempt at manipulation.

Conclusion: Leafsnail is marginally scummier, but Imiknorris is the safer lynch, as he's scummy enough, guaranteed non-town, and his claim could mask a SK.

But, let's be careful with the voting (especially since people seem to want to extend), as there may be a premature hammer. By my (unofficial count):
Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris - ToonyMan, Leafsnail, Jack A T, Toaster, Bookthras
Leafsnail - Urist Imiknorris, Dariush, Shakerag, Tylui,
Not Voting - Hapah (oh how original)
7 To Hammer.

If correct, this leaves Imiknorris at L-2, Leaf at L-3.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2012, 04:53:24 pm »

Firstly I'd like you to justify saving a claimed survivor.  Please look at my example and explain why allowing a player who is either a survivor or scum to live is a good thing.

I responded to the "Leafsnail" section.  Your "indirected" section is an argument in my favour, thanks I guess?

I saw your response. I still am not sure how to clarify. You say Dariush is hunting more than other games, which he's not hunting. (And NOW you are saying his scumhunting sucks.) I don't recall my train of thought with the UI comment, but I think I was misunderstanding what he meant originally. The important bit was that you are contradicting yourself.
I'm not contradicting myself on Dariush.  It is possible to hunt genuinely but to also suck at doing so.  I don't see what part of this you're struggling with.

You're right! It was a pretty shameless bandwagon, but that's because I believe in it. Notwithstanding the thoughts in my previous posts, and as the votes stand now, UI is going to die. As many others have said, I'd also rather not hang a survivor this early in place of someone I see as scummy.

Bolded: yes.

Italicised: this was untrue at the time of your post.

Underlined: you are assuming he's a survivor.  You are doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of.  With no justification.

I want you to quote me where I defended UI.
You defended him by, in your own words, shamelessly bandwagoning me.

More to follow

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2012, 05:29:04 pm »

That previous post was all @Tylui incidentally.

Everyone, I'd like to propose that we lynch Leafsnail today, choose a target for my kill tonight, then lynch me tomorrow if neither of them are scum.

Since Leafsnail is scum, everyone wins except him.
Hm, I do like the part where you die... let me come up with an alternative proposal that retains the best part of this offer.

Lynch the guy who definitely isn't town now.  Every town aligned player wins.

(and similar Dariush-related answers): No, I think your contention that Dariush is playing townie is both false and scummy; he has been known to raeg as town or be calm as scum, his level of bile should not be indicative of his alignment, and your continued pressing of this point is really not helping you seem less scummy, on the contrary it makes it seem you have an ulterior motive to clear him of suspicion.
I didn't use the presence or absence of raeg as an indicator of his towniness or his scumminess, rather the application of it and his play.  I'm only "pressing" this point because other people kept bringing it up.

Not so, otherwise the correct play would be to just stay clear of him. Tunneling him for a while may or may not turn something suspicious, but then it needs to be analysed and weighed in context with the rest of the game, so even if it does it's misleading of you to say that it must be a mislynching strategy. It can equally be a strategy to, you know, scumhunt him.
Still seems a lot more like a mislynching strategy to me considering Dariush's usual reaction to tunneling, but whatever.  Ultimately it was UI's poor response that outed him as scum or I-can't-believe-it's-not-scum.

Also bullshit. Just because you could give an answer based on your role does not make the question rolefishing. See: "Hey Bob, if you had a daykill when would you use it?" Bob (thinking to himself): well, I do have a daykill so I'll give an answer based on that instead of a generic one.

The question is still not rolefishing. Your mental contortions to make it seem so are scummy, as they betray either a need not to go back on your statements (as townie you could just have said "oh, right, never mind then" but as scum you shouldn't as it could be seen as scummy) or a need to build a bullshit case on the person asking the question (you know, "a mislynch strategy").
Your example is completely different because having a daykill and theoretically having a daykill make no difference to the answer of that question at all.  It'd be more like "Bob, do you think there are daykills in this game?"

But whatever.  I thought it was a bad question and wanted an answer out of Deathsword about it to see if it was intentional or not.  I can't say the answer I ultimately received in the end was very useful considering you basically fielded the accusation for him, but nevermind.

I tend to believe your survivor claim based on meta: on previous games you have said that if you were a survivor you would claim it D1; I don't recall ever seeing it happen, but you doing it here makes sense.
Did he actually say this?  If he did he surely should've claimed survivor at the start of the day rather than when he was about to be lynched (which implies he would've kept it hidden if not threatened by a lynch).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:19 pm »

Hm, I do like the part where you die... let me come up with an alternative proposal that retains the best part of this offer.

Lynch the guy who definitely isn't town now.  Every town aligned player wins.
Unless scum win.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2012, 07:06:52 pm »

PFP

Extend.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 26, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »

Unvote

Thoughts that you added right before the post I'm quoting?

Would you mind quoting where you made a case on Leafsnail, before you voted him?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44