Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wonky volcanic fall  (Read 781 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Wonky volcanic fall
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:35:33 am »

So I just had a strange occurance. I was channeling right next to the top of a volcano and somehow the dwarf caused a cave in on the tile he was on. He was pushed aside and proceeded to fall down inside the volcano. However he didnt die instantly. He sort of just floated slowly down in the pipe all the way down, which was atleast 80z levels. He reporting everything he saw, including: the last cavern, the pipe that was in it, candy and the magma sea. When he hit the bottom of the magma sea he just vanished. Seems to me like falls after a cave in is behaving a bit strangely or perhaps its the same for falls in general.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonky volcanic fall
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:57:06 am »

That's pretty much what happens to things that fall in volcanos for now.
I guess dwarfs will eventualy float in magma when fluid mechanics is implemented, and they'll stop seeing through magma once transparency is implemented, and they'll stop reporting everything they see when missing citizens are implemented, but for now what you described is pretty normal behaviour.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

Magma flow destroys everything falling on it, except for magma.

Then there're that oddity where once fat's melted off ( and they don't bleeds to death), they dies by drowning, rather than by being burned up.

Pretty normal with current mechanism.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:24 am »

Do you play with temperature turned off? If yes then everything is normal.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

Poor Dwarf... But, it is good that his sacrifice was not in vain in that you found Adamantine though.

He shall forever go down as a hero in my book. I shall have to try this myself though if I get the chance. For erm... Science.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:43:55 am »

I routinely toss a cat down the first magma pipe I find so it can scout the magma sea.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »

Do you play with temperature turned off? If yes then everything is normal.

Never, that would also destroy the point of playing on a volcano wouldnt it?

But, it is good that his sacrifice was not in vain in that you found Adamantine though.
Dont need adamantine as Im playing on masterwork and I have welded mithril armor on everything plus extra welded wolfram hammers, Im also working on bifrost and iridium. To top that off I got few legendary soldiers. Masterwork doesnt mod magma behavior and the miner didnt have any fireproof leather though so its not related to masterwork.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:18:28 pm by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »

I can confirm that this is normal.  I had a potter dodge a magma crab's molten spitball and fall into the volcano.  He fell all the way down without burning or drowning, and scouted everything he saw before dieing at the bottom.

It is my belief that objects don't actually interact with magma unless they are standing on solid ground.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

1. Once he starts falling and gets the blue highlight, he is in "stasis" with regards to several game rules as he is now a projectile.
2. Once he hits bottom and lands, the stasis ends. If he dies instantly, then the corpse vanishes on the next tick (like all items do when on the bottom of the magma sea). Since nobody witnessed his death, it is unannounced and he is considered "missing".