Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does durable headphones even exist?  (Read 1154 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Does durable headphones even exist?
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:34 am »

To keep things short and simple: I've managed do destroy 7 pairs of them in a few months, despite my ridiculously time consuming attempts of repairing them. I wonder if it is possible to get hold of a pair that won't instantly vaporize in a pair of hands adept at breaking apart hardware.

Most of the time the issue was in the wires and their welding points, but more than one pair has had the speakers themselves break. Could anyone be of assistance?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Does durable headphones even exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:07:43 am »

My cheapie walmart headsets have lasted me 2 years both. The current one's still intact, so will probably last longer than 2 years.

Super expensive ones are fragile, from my understanding.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:59 am »

The main problem is however that my hands seem to want to break things apart when I'm not paying attention, resulting in that the thin protective plastic over the wires weaken and the feeble soldering gets slowly pulled apart. I once had an expensive pair with a really thick wire, and that held until my brother made it literally shatter.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:19:51 am »

Now, while I'm talking about earphones and not headphones, but some expensive ones are very durable. For example, the $140 one I have has withstood a wash-dry cycle and is still in pristine condition for two years. xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:24:16 am »

Ive always found the expensive/cheap headphones thing comes down to more luck than anything.

Ive had cheap crap last for 2 years, expensive stuff die after 6 months and vice versa.

In terms of value for dollars you are always going to be better off getting 7 20 buck pairs than 140 buck pair though.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:30:28 am »

I don't purchase expensive headphones due to the inability to afford such a luxury when my landlord takes most of my benefits in exchange for renting me a room. However, I find that Sony headphones are quite durable for the price - the kind I purchased was about $16 USD and last close to nine months considering the fact that I wear and use them for most of almost any given day.

The jury is still out on the new pair of Skullcandy 2XL Shakedowns I purchased a week ago, but honestly I still think that Sony beats out some of the other cheaper brands in regards to sound quality and durability for said price. I would however recommend that you do not purchase dinky $5 headphones because those in my experience will either break or turn out to be defective.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 02:34:31 am »

No, durable headphones would cause a hole in space and time that would destroy us all!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:14 am »

No, durable headphones would cause a hole in space and time that would destroy us all!
Which is precisely why they must be made! For science!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:39:15 am »

The main problem is however that my hands seem to want to break things apart when I'm not paying attention, resulting in that the thin protective plastic over the wires weaken and the feeble soldering gets slowly pulled apart. I once had an expensive pair with a really thick wire, and that held until my brother made it literally shatter.

That is pretty tough one since those tend to be where most break if you don't take care of them.

Did you ever try wrapping the vulnerable parts with Duct tape?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 03:02:38 am »

Yes, but when I did that it eventually broke anyway leading to the extremely time consuming effort of peeling apart the insides and soldering it back together anyway.

Seems whoever has the [SPHERE:HEADPHONES] tag seems to hold a grudge against me. :(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 03:07:58 am »

Yes, but when I did that it eventually broke anyway leading to the extremely time consuming effort of peeling apart the insides and soldering it back together anyway.

Seems whoever has the [SPHERE:HEADPHONES] tag seems to hold a grudge against me. :(

Because you treat them BAAAAADLY!

I found one that was very durable and can be recabled easily... hmmm...

Ohhh googling "Indestructible headphones"

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:59:36 am »

For reasons I cannot comprehend, the number just rose to 8. It is quite an old pair, but it was still my last one. ::)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DO durable headphones even exist?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00:37 am »

If it matters to anyone, I have a $10 pair that's going strong after 4 years of heavy usage. Only maintenance I've needed to do was superglue some of the fuzz from the muffs back on.

It helps that I'm using the dark arts to siphon away the life of headphones belonging to other unsuspecting people in order to lengthen the life of my own.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:02:45 am by JoshuaFH »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 09:30:31 am »

I've found that not leaving them in my pocket for half the day (i.e. at school) tends to extend their life. In fact, I think my current pair is going on 2 years.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 10:15:06 am »

Yeah, I keep mine draped around my neck or laid flat out on the table when I'm not using them, as opposed to rolling them around my MP3 player and sticking them in a pocket, so far these ones have lasted significantly longer than any others I've had, and they only cost me £3
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: [1] 2