Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Source Inside Cave  (Read 572 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Source Inside Cave
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:45:36 pm »

I was mining through a section of a mountain, and i hit across a damp wall that became a unlimited amount of water after i mined it out. Does this water source ever deplete or go for ever?

EDIT
From my understanding, this water source doesn't just stop. I think the source has unlimited water. I was not able to save my fortress :(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:02:25 am by Comrade »

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Source Inside Cave
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

maybe you had struck the aquifer?
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:52 am »

Nope, aquifer never depletes.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer if you want to read up more on it :D

It's a challenge to go through it ( though not much of one properly prepared and practiced )

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:25:43 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer if you want to read up more on it :D

It's a challenge to go through it ( though not much of one properly prepared and practiced )

His embark location surely has 2+ biomes. He said that he was diggin through mountain, but it is impossible to embark just on mountains. The second biome he embarked on may contain aquifier, that (due to biome bounds) doesn't spread across all embark location. And he could just strike it from side. I did that before.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:28:00 am »

His embark location surely has 2+ biomes. He said that he was diggin through mountain, but it is impossible to embark just on mountains. The second biome he embarked on may contain aquifier, that (due to biome bounds) doesn't spread across all embark location. And he could just strike it from side. I did that before.

Yeah, I was addressing going through it, not bypassing it. Bypassing's definitley easier, but I almost never embark where I could do that ( prefer to embark near rivers in middle of nowhere plains or forests ).

Also in 34.09 that I have, aquifer's almost damn everywhere, to point that almost all non-mountain biome have it. So worth it to practice for it, or removing the tag in raw since it can drive a person nuts :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:57 am »

Also in 34.09 that I have, aquifer's almost damn everywhere, to point that almost all non-mountain biome have it. So worth it to practice for it, or removing the tag in raw since it can drive a person nuts :D
How large of a world are you generating? Smaller worlds have less geological diversity, so a few aquifers can cover most of the world, while medium/large shouldn't have this problem.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:40 am »

How large of a world are you generating? Smaller worlds have less geological diversity, so a few aquifers can cover most of the world, while medium/large shouldn't have this problem.
Pocket worlds, usually, so that's obviously the issue! I've not bothered to gen bigger world to play for a time since 40d, because I don't like longer saving time. Biome variety don't seems to influence it, and I only really get aquifer-less areas far inland ( Maybe distance from ocean or something? ).

I don't remember getting as much aquifers in 31.18 I used to play, with pocket worlds, so it's a bit noticible to me.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

I've gotten sick of of Aquifers showing up on all my good embarks, so I just turned them off (using the Lazy Newb Pack option).  Sooner or later I'll learn how to manage them, but for now, I'd rather just not deal with it.