Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shifting World Map  (Read 755 times)

Sedil Locunad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shifting World Map
« on: October 26, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

Has anyone tried to watch how their actions affect the world itself?  I noticed that when I would export a map and compare it to the old versions, something would be different.  In this example, a dessert - or at least yellow colored tiles -  vastly expanded out, covering the human civilization I would typically Adventure in.  The mountain ranges would also change as well.

Would this be related to temp, evil (Lots of lost adventurers due to my inexperience), or what?

quot;What am I?  ...Sorry, can''t answer what I don''t know."
-My Character

Trivia - My current online name is a dwarven translation of my regular online moniker.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Shifting World Map
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

That's probably just seasonal variation there.  The game tracks weather and such and the tiles on the world map change according to whether it's very hot or very cold outside at that given point in time. =)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

Wow. Yet another amazing detail that I never noticed. TDTTOE.
火族

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

Made a gif out of it. I'm quite impressed that there are variations on the world map, whether due to seasons or other changing global variables.

I hope to be able to subtly influence the world by melting and freezing ice caps and flooding the world.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

That GIF is awesome; you should put a link to it in your signature. =)