Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games with Teamwork?  (Read 4812 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Teamwork?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 05:35:12 am »

I don't feel like shuffling through the 9,001 DLC for it :P  Although the original content is pretty fun too, I do have it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:43 am »

Left 4 Dead 2 (and probably the first one) aren't teamwork games.  You could be anyone and still work without saying a word.  You just shoot the zombies and move forward, there's no real teamwork except "we're both shooting the same tank".

Getting into WarZ as it stands.  Me and previously-mentioned friend are tag-teaming the area and kicking ass.  It turns out I'm heartless, and that's why I now have a large backpack and a shotgun.  Mmm, and it's still warm...

See, L4D2 is precisely one of those games that can be played with other people and that encourages teamplay but never really "delivers". I am now of the opinion that no game is capable of delivering a teamplay experience unless the playerbase actively seeks it out. If it doesn't, then there's no way a game can have teamplay.

Even in NS2 I find myself at a loss for what to do, as people go around doing their own things, generally not communicating, not organising attacks, not deciding strategy, etc...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 06:53:53 am »

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - you control two agents, which occasionally have to do two-person acrobatics to progress. There's also an in-built voice chat system to which enemies may react if you talk loud enough.

SWAT4 - as far as I remember, in co-op there's only players in your squad, no bots to occupy vacant slots, so you have to coordinate with them to take out rooms. And the game can get pretty hard.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »

SWAT4
Memories of running around screaming and shooting civilians in the face with the taser are coming back.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

Memories of running around screaming and shooting civilians in the face with the taser are coming back.
Pepper spray

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

Pepper spray
Not to mention the gas grenades and pepper-ball shooting gun.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:01 am »

I like league of legends, It's really awesome if you can somehow assemble a full five people within a reasonable skill band.

But that is impossible. You can duo que for 5v5's but it is annoying compared to solo que. Still works though.
It's free.

Genuine teamwork eh, Guild wars has a decent amount of teamwork, like, stop kiting and run back to me so I can healz you, or focus carefully to interrupt the critical spell of one guy. Duoque Guildwars is FUN. Both vs normal enemies, and in 4v4 Which has a learning curve up to a point, but then is somewhat reasonable. I have not played guild wars 2 though, and you WILL want to play Guildwars 2 (so you aren't stuck with a team of trolls).

Advantages: Far as I know, guild wars 2 is still the only MMO with a flat fee.
You'll want to buy expansion packs anyway though, *shrug.

Halo 3 had a decent co-op but true full on teamwork? Not in campaign mode. I hear borderlands is really awesome, but I haven't actually played it.

New super mario bros is absolutely rediculous co-op, but it's not about cooperation thaaat much, mostly just not stepping on your friends head. Or deliberately stepping on your friends head.
I watched the whole series of naka teleeli playing Lost Vikings and it looks Incredible, But kinda too hard for more than one person. Damn candy levels. Definately something hardcore. To be fair, they were playing online through an emulator.

Trine looks interesting, I don't know much about it.

BTW, is there a game too difficult, long, or boring for you to play?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:55 am »

Have you tried Magicka? It's very teamwork oriented, as in you can do awesome things and combos when working together (but most of the time you just blow up each other). In both cases, it's good fun.

I've heard that Trine 2 in coop is quite nice too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oddly enough what killed Magicka for me was that I completed the main campaign. When you do that you learn a lot of tricks that help you survive.

When I played with others it became quickly obvious they never touched single player. They often over valued slow spells over quick powerful ones (I had to convince them Charm was good).

The skill barrier between me and those I played with, and I am not good at Magicka at all, became something I didn't want to deal with.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 12:24:15 am »

Guildwars 2.

If you DON'T operate as a duo/team/group/squad/guild, you'll notice yourself raped in WvW rather hard by some random zerg. In PvE, dungeons rely heavily on teamwork(And communication of dungeon mechanics).

In WvW:
An effective squad can take points and split zergs like nobody's business. An effective, if small, guild can take and hold towers easily.

Until they meet the zerg-that-is-not-a-zerg. Realizing those 30+ people are working together properly is soul crushing.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:38 am »

use mic!
Fie. Fie on thee.

I don't have a microphone, and wouldn't use it even if I did :-\

Sometimes with things like this, its actually more along these lines...

ARSEHOLE GUILDS
"Do you have a Mic???"
"No... I don't like talking..."
"Bugger off then..."

THREE TIMES THE ARSEHOLE GUILD
"Do you have a Mic???"
"Yes... But I don't like talking..."
"No worries..."
-- Mid Raid --
"Hey guys, I need a Res."
"OI YOUR NOT RAID LEAD SO SHUT THE -Bleep- UP!!!"

A Good Guild...
"Do you have a Mic???"
"Yes/No... I don't like Talking..."
"No worries, if you could can you please join the Team Speak/Mumble/Whatever Voip thing. As long as you can hear us its all good... Though you will need to get one and start using it if you want to lead a raid or something, hard to type when your fighting..."

On that case, if your playing a game that would be BEST played with a mic to give statements like MIA or Target Sighted things which the game itself might not deliver, something such as an easy to tell signal or text message would be wise to work out before the game starts with your group. Heck if you have a Mic and don't like talking anyway, the best idea is to keep it short and sweet, a single said word or statement, its not like anyone is looking for folks to share their problems, your not sitting around in a circle talking about your drinking...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

Paradox's strategy games Europa universalis 3, Victoria 2 and Hearts of iron 3 allows you to play as the same country in multiplayer if that would be interesting. In Crusader kings 2 you can play the same country but not the same characters which is kind of interesting cooperating overthrowing the king or later on one being the king and the other a strong duke.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

Mass Effect 3 was the first thing that came to mind, though it comes with the drawback of the in-game store system being heavily dependent on the RNG. Hundreds of hours of potential gameplay, though. Although teamwork isn't strictly mandatory, it does help a LOT (power combos, guarding backs, killing specific foes and what have you). Note that it's rather difficult compared to the singleplayer part, however, especially if you're not running a full 4-man team (me and my bro oughta know that, we duo all the time).
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 02:38:02 pm »

[snip]
Yeah, that bit at the bottom was why I mentioned text macros. Press a button, pop out pre-typed message -- and if the game's actually worth a flip insofar as keyboard support goes, it'll have multiple variables you can fit in that fill out the information you need to get across as necessary.

I mentioned Infantry, which I played for quite a few years strictly without microphones; its macro system was pretty robust, so you could do something like "%N is at %C, assaulting the enemy position. I %O see the enemy objective carrier" where %N would fill in your name, %C would give the coordinates you're at, and %O would spit out a yes/no (can/cannot) response to a objective in line of sight query. You'd have a handful of macros like that based on different situations, and likely multiple sets of macros you could load depending on class or role you were filling. Took a lil'bit of setting up, but it was very effective and fluid once you got it going.

There was a decently long list of stuff like that, and I'd call it nearing inexcusable (if not entirely so, but it'd certainly be highly disappointing) if PS2 -- or any modern multiplayer game, really -- doesn't have something similar. Game design has been such that including stuff like that has been a known good thing for quite a while; Infantry came out in '99, and I'm quite sure it's not the earliest to use such things (Earliest was probably MUDs of some sort, really.). General point being it's quite possible, maybe even easy (in a relative sense) to facilitate fast communication without needing a mike, providing the game itself provides the tools to do so... and even if it doesn't, to a degree, but an in-game system that's built to take advantage of it can massively improve functionality.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3]