Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games with Teamwork?  (Read 4815 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Teamwork?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

Cortex Command is great fun.
Hidden & Dangerous would be nice if I was any good at it. Can't beat the first mission because my accuracy sucks, the enemies can see farther than me, and the friendly AI is a bit retarded.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 01:23:04 am »

ArmA2 might be what you're looking for, especially the tactical servers. You can't do anything without teamwork.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »

DayZ is fantastic with friends.
Find a bus, repair it, get a couple machine guns, go on an asskicking road trip through Cherno.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »

I can't run DayZ on my machine, the graphics are too intense even when tuned down.  It's like a slideshow of watching myself be eaten, which is surely entertaining in an artistic sense.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »

RPG:

Baldur's Gate 2 You can have a party of up to six characters ,each with a defined role.Did i mention the story is incredible and the NPCs are pretty awesome ?
Hack and Slash
Diablo 2 More monsters,less story and more loot based.Still defined roles.
RTS:
Red Alert 2:Yuri's RevengeI am pretty sure this one has a cooperative campaign.Extremely addictive,fun and the modding community is very much alive.
Platformer
Jazz Jackrabit 2:Not so sure if this one can be played over the internet.Its great fun though.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »

Borderlands was quite fun (haven't played Borderlands 2, so can't comment on that one), although does run the risk of devolving into multiple-solo-players rather than multi-player, as others have commented.  :P

Hmm, never tried the multiplayer myself, but I would hazard a guess that the Mount & Blade series would benefit people who worked together, even if it's just a pair of sensible people in a team of muppets.  But that's pure conjecture on my part - I'm a singleplayer gamer mostly, for the same reasons as some others have pointed out!

For RTS, AI War is all about the cooperation.  There isn't a competitive mode.  It's always all human players against all AI players.  And at higher difficulty levels this is absolutely crucial.

Been a while since I played it, but team-based Armagetron was huge amounts of fun when I used to play alongside a flatmate of mine against the AI bots.  A bit frantic and difficult to coordinate at times though.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Hmm, never tried the multiplayer myself, but I would hazard a guess that the Mount & Blade series would benefit people who worked together, even if it's just a pair of sensible people in a team of muppets.  But that's pure conjecture on my part - I'm a singleplayer gamer mostly, for the same reasons as some others have pointed out!
M&B multiplayer mode is skirmish mode, there is no campaign map available.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »

I can't run DayZ on my machine, the graphics are too intense even when tuned down.  It's like a slideshow of watching myself be eaten, which is surely entertaining in an artistic sense.

Running the game on an SSD helps.. a bit. The game is just poorly optimized, it's been that way since ARMA (and maybe OFP)
Borderlands was quite fun (haven't played Borderlands 2, so can't comment on that one), although does run the risk of devolving into multiple-solo-players rather than multi-player, as others have commented.  :P

If you're going to get Borderlands skip BL 1 and go straight for 2. Borderlands 1 has nothing BL2 doesn't have, and the 'plot' for BL1 is pretty much explained in BL2 so there's no reason to get it for the... 'story'. BL2 story is loads better... simply because it actually kinda has one =p

As for Mount & Blade... get Teamspeak (or a bunch of buddies in steam voice chat, or whatever voice chat program you prefer) and go tear up multiplayer servers. cRPG is a popular multiplayer mod but the community is kinda meh, but as long as you ignore the chat and stick with your butt-buddies-forever you'll have fun =) . You can also get Battalion (Mount & Musket) or even buy Napoleonic Wars and have yourself mini-line battles, or keep tabs on when public line battles take place and attend those.

There is a multiplayer mod where one player plays singleplayer like normal, then when there's a battle he saves the game, hosts a server, and the players who join his server become units in the player's army. I've never tried it myself, but the concept seems cool. I don't even know if it works with Diplomacy mod which is a good SP mod. It was last updated around October 2nd so who knows? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,150827.0.html

Vikingr is another mod that has some cool features. It's not quite as popular as other ones so the battles are smaller, but that just means each player is that much more important.

Mount & Blade 2 is coming out sometime in the future as well, so who knows what kind of mods or support it will have for this kinda thing?

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:41:43 am »

Baldur's Gate 2 You can have a party of up to six characters, each with a defined role. Did I mention the story is incredible and the NPCs are pretty awesome?

Oh god... no... not again, I won't go back... I wont... I... I...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:12 am »

Army of two comes to mind! That game has been designed around cooperative.
World of Warcraft is a game I really enjoy playing with friends cooperatively as well.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 04:26:07 am »

I'd have to add my vote of support to ArmA2. I get together with a group of 6 or 7 of my friends and we play custom Acemod maps made by one of our people, complete with artificial story and everything. It's great fun.

The SS13 bay12 server isn't bad, either. They're very RP heavy and have a large set of rules for what your character can and can't meta, so it's actually pretty decent. You'll have engineers who've been playing for years asking a newbie doctor if mild electrocution renders them sterile.

Other than Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Portal and the games above, very few games encourage teamwork, and the ones that do usually turn out to be crap. I'm still waiting on a game that absolutely needs teamwork for you not to get obliterated in the face, but be a good enough game to play.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 04:39:25 am »

Without voice comms, there is no teamwork. Most games would be infinitely better with people behaving as adults on voice-comms... I find I can't really play multiplayer anymore without comms. I used to be pretty shy and listen but not talk, but eventually beat the shyness. Now I tend to talk alone because nobody else joins voice comms.

So yeah, join a squad/guild/group of friends/whatever :)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 04:48:59 am »

Natural Selection 2 - without team work you don't get far in this game
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:09 am »

Left 4 Dead 2 (and probably the first one) aren't teamwork games.  You could be anyone and still work without saying a word.  You just shoot the zombies and move forward, there's no real teamwork except "we're both shooting the same tank".

Getting into WarZ as it stands.  Me and previously-mentioned friend are tag-teaming the area and kicking ass.  It turns out I'm heartless, and that's why I now have a large backpack and a shotgun.  Mmm, and it's still warm...

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 05:31:00 am »

Have you tried Magicka? It's very teamwork oriented, as in you can do awesome things and combos when working together (but most of the time you just blow up each other). In both cases, it's good fun.

I've heard that Trine 2 in coop is quite nice too, but I haven't tried it yet.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:35:01 am by Alg »
Pages: 1 [2] 3