Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games with Teamwork?  (Read 4814 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Games with Teamwork?
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »

So me and a friend really want to play a game that encourages and rewards good teamwork.  We were both thinking about WarZ and being snipers, using voice chat to call what shots we're taking and stuff.  Unfortunately there don't seem to be many games that are good for this, as the majority are just "get with anyone else, shoot in the same direction."

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Teamwork?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

hmm Portal 2
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »

Medal of Honor: Warfighter requires you to team up with one other person as a fireteam. In fact a sniper/spotter team usually does very well.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:18:44 pm »

Left 4 Dead?

Monster Hunter, technically, you could solo everything.  Some people complain that it is easier to solo because the bosses are more predictable when they only focus on you.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »

Problem with monster hunter is ( Boom, I'm the hawt friend O: ) only thing available is Monster Hunter Tri, PSP would require rekajiggering the modem to run it online. And even then it may not be compatible ( Unless they've updated that recently ) and the Wii is never explicit about cross-international, me being EU, her US.

Left 4 dead 2 I already bought for her, but she flails wildly with the shotgun and it's just a total mess >:

Medal of honor warfighter I've never seen. So, uno mumento :3

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:28:50 pm »

You can use ad hoc party on the ps3 it what I always used
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

My shotgun flailing gets the job done dammit!  You're just jealous of my Tactical Pwngun.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »

I got a full bag of them.

RTS

Supreme Commander - A team that doesn't work together crumbles.

End of Nations - MMORTS, closed beta right now though. Can buy your way in. A lot of emphasis on Team Work and not being "jack of all trades".

First Person Shooter

Team Fortress 2 - Has it in the name. Though you'll be hard pressed to find random people who actually work as a team.

World of Tanks - Drive around a tank and shoot other tanks in one life arena style game play. Has different classes of tanks which complement each other.

Planetside 2 - Sci-fi MMO FPS/RTS. Grand scale, conquer territories. Vehicles and planes, along with different classes. Currently in open beta. A highly skilled squad that uses teamwork is much better than just a bunch of randoms.

I could go on, maybe you could be a bit more specific? Is there a specific genre you had in mind?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

I got a full bag of them.

RTS

Supreme Commander - A team that doesn't work together crumbles.

End of Nations - MMORTS, closed beta right now though. Can buy your way in. A lot of emphasis on Team Work and not being "jack of all trades".

First Person Shooter

Team Fortress 2 - Has it in the name. Though you'll be hard pressed to find random people who actually work as a team.

World of Tanks - Drive around a tank and shoot other tanks in one life arena style game play. Has different classes of tanks which complement each other.

Planetside 2 - Sci-fi MMO FPS/RTS. Grand scale, conquer territories. Vehicles and planes, along with different classes. Currently in open beta. A highly skilled squad that uses teamwork is much better than just a bunch of randoms.

I could go on, maybe you could be a bit more specific? Is there a specific genre you had in mind?

Here is kinda the problem with ALL of those

They all have the "possibility of teamwork" however in reality what you tend to get is just a bunch of solo-players.

There are actually people on Planetside 2 who will start Squads and do squat... and teams that don't do anything together. Finding a squad that does squat can actually be tough.

So you BETTER have friends!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »

• Artemis: bridge simulator. You'd probably need more than one other person though.
  • ARMA2: Combined Operations. In conjunction with ACE mod you can get in groups of 50+ players doing co-op missions. Or you can do the whole sniper/spotter thing with wind deflection etc. modeled accurately. (EDIT and by sniping I don't mean CoD crap where the enemies are within 50 meters. The maps are several KM square, over 225km^2 if I recall correctly.)
  • The older Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games. Also, SWAT 4.
  • Orcs Must Die! 2 could also work, it's a co-op trap defense game. Dungeon Defenders is also alright for this.
  • Hidden & Dangerous, and Hidden & Dangerous 2: saber squadron... to an extent. Really wish they would make a new H&D styled game.
  • Killing Floor... kinda an alternative to L4D where the focus is on staying alive through waves of enemies while getting better gear instead of getting from point A to point B through some set pieces and dynamic AI.

If we're talking aboot RTS then Men of War would count I guess.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:12:53 pm by OzyTheSage »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:04 pm »

Here is kinda the problem with ALL of those

They all have the "possibility of teamwork" however in reality what you tend to get is just a bunch of solo-players.

There are actually people on Planetside 2 who will start Squads and do squat... and teams that don't do anything together. Finding a squad that does squat can actually be tough.

So you BETTER have friends!

Highly disagreed in regards to Planetside 2. If you're having trouble finding a squad, then try joining an outfit. There are plenty of great casual outfits out there that will help you learn the game. It's easy to find team-oriented squads in PS2; just don't be shy, join an outfit recruitment squad, and use a mic!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:31:20 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:07 pm »

use mic!
Fie. Fie on thee.

I don't have a microphone, and wouldn't use it even if I did :-\

Generally because it's hard enough getting things to run without having microphone software running too. But even then. Some of us don't like talking, damnit!

... PS2 does have in-game text macro support, right? Considering SoE basically sucked the planetside before planetside (Infantry represent, yo'.) dry and then murdered it, someone would need to be beat if it didn't. They should have figured out a lot of the usability tricks just from Inf, to say nothing of PS1 and Tribes and crap.

Anyway, though I kinda' shudder to suggest it, there's always AoS-style games; DotA, League of Legends, etc., so forth, so on. They're... pretty heavily team based, though it's not so much that teamwork is rewarded so much as as the lack is heavily punished. And there's, like, 50/50 (or... worse? Better?) odds that trying them would ruin whatever friendship y'all might have.

Then there's always co-op stuff! It exists. Go play Secret of Mana :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:41 pm »

Cortex Command!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 11:54:06 pm »

Cortex Command!
No internet there though unless you go with that one select case they had a while back.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23:23 am »

It's easy to find team-oriented squads in PS2; just don't be shy, join an outfit recruitment squad, and use a mic!

AKA: Join a guild

Just like... well a steriotypical MMO really when I think about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3