Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too Full?  (Read 957 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Too Full?
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

Over the last few adventurers (they have a rather high turnover rate) I have come to hate the message "You are too full." I will often go large amounts of time without convenient access to water or food, so when I finally get to a village or kill a lion or something I try to sate my poor starving bastard's hunger and thirst only to find that I can only consume three things at one time before I can eat or drink again, even if I need four or more to get rid of the irritating messages at the bottom of the screen. Please tell me this is just a bug waiting to be resolved.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: Too Full?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »

No, you just fast travel a square and eat again, or wait an hour.
Its not a bug.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »

It's not because you're full, it's because your mouth is.
You need to swallow.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 06:55:52 pm »

I still think that the limit should be repealed if my adventurer is, say, dehydrated or starving.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:58 pm »

In real life, if you start drinking/eating too much after being deprived of said sustenance, doesn't your body do really weird things?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:44:34 pm »

In real life, if you start drinking/eating too much after being deprived of said sustenance, doesn't your body do really weird things?

You can actually drop dead, so yes, the limit is quite reasonable actually.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »

Travelling aside, if you eat/drink something then drink/eat something then take your choice as to what to do next and yet that still doesn't help you survive, you probably left it too late anyway.

I've made the mistake of waiting a long time, and then not being able to drink because I've over-eaten or eat because I over-drank, and I think there's something to be said for this being a semi-realistic consequence.  (In my case, I eventually was able to sate the other desire somewhat, and then work at reducing both according to my desired priority and capability.

(I've no idea if it's balanced so that you can "go without food for a week, but not without water for a day", or whatever relative lengths of time reflects RL food and water dependencies.  It seems to be an equal priority system, but I've not tried to probe this fact at all, just reacted to what's happened to my Adventurer.)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »

Travelling aside, if you eat/drink something then drink/eat something then take your choice as to what to do next and yet that still doesn't help you survive, you probably left it too late anyway.

I've made the mistake of waiting a long time, and then not being able to drink because I've over-eaten or eat because I over-drank, and I think there's something to be said for this being a semi-realistic consequence.  (In my case, I eventually was able to sate the other desire somewhat, and then work at reducing both according to my desired priority and capability.

(I've no idea if it's balanced so that you can "go without food for a week, but not without water for a day", or whatever relative lengths of time reflects RL food and water dependencies.  It seems to be an equal priority system, but I've not tried to probe this fact at all, just reacted to what's happened to my Adventurer.)
In fortress mode, dwarves tend to dehydrate before starving to death from my experience, but it's kinda hard to measure how big the difference between the two is.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »

If I recall correctly, in adventurer mode you can survive about one week without water and about one month without food.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.