Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games like KoDP  (Read 7173 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Games like KoDP
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

So after seeing the kickstarter ars magica and playing kings of dragons pass to death I'm wondering if there are any other games like this ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Games like KoDP
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »

I second this. I even have the game on my iPad. Wish it was more free though.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »

I have spent so many hours playing it, so worth the £7 I paid for t :P but I really want to know if there are anymore like this but for PC

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »

I want this too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:50:52 pm »

I have spent so many hours playing it, so worth the £7 I paid for t :P but I really want to know if there are anymore like this but for PC
Yeah. I found it worth too. Just wish it was more free like naming your ring members at the start of the game and stuff :P

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »

Yeah. I found it worth too. Just wish it was more free like naming your ring members at the start of the game and stuff :P

Aye and some of the options were not to clear, like once you have finally collected enough clans for a kingdom what next ? How do you control and influence the kindom and stuff.

Another game like KoDP would be really good even more so if it was in depth.

I know of one which is already on the forum which is below

EDIT: holy hell KoDP is on GoG : http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king_of_dragon_pass
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:59:29 pm by ScriptWolf »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »

Gog had that for a while.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:59:00 pm »

Well the closest thing i can think of would be Lords of the realm (changing seasons harvesting cropsand the like).
And maybe Defender of the Crown but that's a huge streatch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:01:51 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »

I concur. One of the best games I ever played. I should tyr it again. Might have to use GOG because it might be hard to get my old boxed copy working.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »

Aye and some of the options were not to clear, like once you have finally collected enough clans for a kingdom what next ? How do you control and influence the kindom and stuff.
I formed a kingdom only once so far. My ringleader was chosen as the queen.. then promptly died and another clan became leader. It was all very strange, unsatisfying and I've never had the desire to form another kingdom. :(

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »

Also I mean games like KoDP not for the clan management stuff. Mostly for the Pen and paper type rpg gameplay where you choose how stuff plays out, none of this stuff with graphics

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »

The only game I've found similar to Kings of Dragon Pass is Darklands, which has the potential to be good but the dated graphics and sound irked me. That Ars Magica game looks pretty appealing, but I doubt it will get funded unfortunately. :(
Other than that, there are no other games like KoDP, I have looked for a while.

I formed a kingdom only once so far. My ringleader was chosen as the queen.. then promptly died and another clan became leader. It was all very strange, unsatisfying and I've never had the desire to form another kingdom. :(

Don't let that put you off, it happens all the time. :) Kings and Queens die occasionally.
I once had a Queen die on me during the ending sequence, that was really unsatisfying!

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:29 am »

Have you guys played Floor 13? I found it to have some mechanical similarities to KoDP, as well as being an alternative kind of political simulation.
The player takes on the role of the Director General of the "Department of Agriculture and Fisheries", a non-existent Executive Agency that conceals a secret police which keeps the government popular by any means necessary. Answering only to the Prime Minister, the Director General has the power to use wiretapping, surveillance, smear tactics, disinformation, burglary, kidnapping, torture, and assassination to keep the government popular with the people.
During the course of the game, the player must walk a metaphorical tightrope, with two possible ways to lose the game; every 21 days, the Prime Minister reviews the opinion polls and will terminate the Director General's job if his popularity is under 50%. If he still has the lead, the Director General will be given more resources to work with. This outcome can be easily averted with finesse and subtlety — however, if the player is clumsy or blatant, the Prime Minister will quickly terminate the Director General's life. The last Director General (jokingly named after Richard Branson, the owner of the Virgin Group) suffered from a severe case of defenestration at the hands of Mr. Garcia, and the same will happen to the new Director General if he gets too far out of line.
It's available here:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/140/Floor13.htm

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:12 am »

I think you might also be interested in the games on www.choiceofgames.com. Those are all the ''Choose your own adventure'' type of games on the pc and most of them are for free as well :) They're also available on handhelds but they're pretty pricey (2.49 in your currency or something.).

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 10:26:44 am »

I think you might also be interested in the games on www.choiceofgames.com. Those are all the ''Choose your own adventure'' type of games on the pc and most of them are for free as well :) They're also available on handhelds but they're pretty pricey (2.49 in your currency or something.).
Yeeeeeeessss. They are also wonderful, thanks for reminding me. They make me get so into the story that I forgot to get of my buss sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2