Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Future of Dwarf Fortress  (Read 710 times)

Salty9001

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Future of Dwarf Fortress
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »

Now I was exploring the internet and came across this gem of a game through a link;

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/?utm_source=Eurogamer&utm_medium=Ad&utm_campaign=EG-RPSReskin-Blue

Now before I continue, assuming you've examined the link above. Please... put down your pitch forks, and soothe your anger and rage.

I am simply commenting that, imagine, Dwarf Fortress utilizing such a game engine? This engine has A LOT of potential. While still showing A LOT of detail. What if dwarf fortress was made the same way?

If any of you purchased it, the game launches itself using a stand alone executable, no need for installations. Doesn't mess with the registry like most games. Remarkable isn't it?

And look what features it supports:

*Time Progression

*Easy to understand and utilize building

*Crafters

*Soldiers

*Rioting

*Complex objects, and room designation

*Vehicles

*Invasions

*Large amounts of units

*Individual Units with names, tasks, goals

This game engine right here, could be AMAZING for Dwarf Fortress if properly applied. I'm sure the only hurdle would be the supporting of Z-Levels and wild life, and extra actions menu.

So, mighty Developer of Dwarf Fortress, if you decided to read this topic. PLEASE CONSIDER how much it would mean to users like me who LOVE visualization in our games.

because games like this; http://www.agameofdwarves.com/; don't cut it. At all. Not even a little bit.

I'd also help with my own graphic art if needed.

That is all, thank you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

Ok, let me ignore everything else and just focus on the issues at hand.

1) This would require Dwarf Fortress to be entirely remade
and
2) While this simulates some aspects of the game it uttarly ignores others. For example 3d environments, world simulation, single unit handling...

This actually comes off as a "Hey everyone, buy/play Prison Archetect" more then it does a genuin suggestion.

Remember that Dwarf Fortress is a simulation that handles a world and adventure mode. It has YET to be recreated except with a better engine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:48:50 pm by Neonivek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:26 pm »

Also, Toady has pretty clearly stated that he's making DF pretty much 100% on his own and by his vision. Occasionally, he accepts some help from fans (melting points of stones, densities of soils, etc), and he listens to the Suggestions subforum, but other than that he's quite a lone wolf.

And look where that's brought him.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:03:09 am »

This sound like an advertisement post. Because almost all of the listed feature, plus non-installation, is part of DF.

If you want better visualization, you can go give DFHack a shot, it have stonesense with it.

And, it wouldn't be DF anymore if it was remade like some other game :D

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:12 am »

Strangely enough, the Prison Architect developers have considered doing the exact opposite.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12:49 am »

Well, I actually like much more the ASCII than things like stonesense or any graphic pack.

Because graphic packs are at most ok, and seems a lot to 90's graphics. They will never be "beautiful".

And, on the other hand, my imagination is a lot more creative and beautiful than 90's graphics.