Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79868 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2018, 10:13:52 am »

I'm glad you did, I think I'll check it out.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2018, 11:14:03 am »

Awesome, glad you posted!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »

I've been playing the new version and I like the changes, especially the secret actions. It adds a level of exploration to the game that it lacked before. Perhaps in the future that same mechanic could be used to improve and deepen other Renascents? So you'd basically receive a quest from a fellow Renascent (the artist dude wants exotic painting materials from beyond reality or something) and then the secret/rumor mechanic would be used to find them. Doing that quest succesfully would give the ally Renascent a permanent boost.

Sometimes the game starts with the society already collapsed. Is this happening on purpose or is it a bug? I always start as an outcast and getting 100 arkhe together with a collapsed society is almost impossible.

I think there are still sort of...negative feedback loops in the game that are hard to break out of. They can be frustrating. Basically, I mean things like weariness increasing so high you can't do naught but combat it, especially once you start getting bad qualities. Same thing applies to high tension or running out of merits. I understand that the nobles offering "help" are  a partial solution to this, but maybe they should trigger more actively when you are trouble. Plus making fey creatures could offer to make really bad deals too? Maybe dying and being reborn could reduce the tenson level a little? Maybe you could spend a lot of one resource to solve the problem with another, like spending a lot of Arkhe to lower tension?

Regarding playing on after winning one instance, maybe more could be carried on? If not resources or abilities, maybe knowledge about fey and secrets? Perhaps make it so some enemy renascents could carry something on as well, dynamically creating nemesis for you?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:45 am »

Perhaps in the future that same mechanic could be used to improve and deepen other Renascents?

It's not exactly the same mechanic, but I'm actually working on something similar involving renascents right now, which leads me to believe you can read my mind or at the very least get the general gist of it.

Sometimes the game starts with the society already collapsed. Is this happening on purpose or is it a bug? I always start as an outcast and getting 100 arkhe together with a collapsed society is almost impossible.

A social context and certain misused relics can lead to collapsed societies from the start of a cycle. Perhaps the profits and availability of scavenging actions could be revised upwards.

I think there are still sort of...negative feedback loops in the game that are hard to break out of. They can be frustrating.

This seems to be a running issue. Some of those suggestions are worth considering but it's tricky to avoid all negative feedback loops without making the game too easy in other instances.

Regarding playing on after winning one instance, maybe more could be carried on? If not resources or abilities, maybe knowledge about fey and secrets? Perhaps make it so some enemy renascents could carry something on as well, dynamically creating nemesis for you?

If things are working as they should, you do keep the knowledge about those feyfolk bound to you, which stick to you for good or ill through cycles. All the other feyfolk are reset.

In any event, I'm not sure exactly how much yet, but renascents will indeed remember stuff between cycles in the next version.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2018, 12:25:47 pm »

All rumors about my covenant with Yog-Sothoth and it granting prescient powers are false and spread by those who Walk In Yellow.

Maybe when you start your first run with a collapsed society you should get a short explanation why everything collapsed before you even did anything?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2018, 12:13:49 pm »

I guess the effects of social contexts could benefit from an introduction when playing the advanced game, since they're the only ones that could cause the collapse during the first run.

But of course, you already know that.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2018, 11:11:42 am »

Found a bug - when there is a lot of happening on the same turn and the text doesn't fit in the screen, you might end up getting stuck if you are an outcast and there comes a chance to change territory on the same turn. Basically I had a turn with a territory event, fey presence announcements, territory activity and then territory change opportunity. The option for leaving or staying slipped outside the screen at the bottom and I was unable to proceed in any kind of way.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2018, 12:36:32 pm »

I'm going to go ahead despite the ominous red warning to reconsider posting despite the lack of posts in the previous 120 days in this topic and let you know that a new release is up.

Always great to see an update, and I really appreciate you posting here. I know a lot of people here get their updates from posts here, so it's great to see it!

Might be worth pushing this out to some of the bigger media outlets (RPS, PCgamer etc.)? It's been a while since it was mentioned and they've recently been doing quite a few 'complex' game bits.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2018, 10:43:04 am »

Found a bug - when there is a lot of happening on the same turn and the text doesn't fit in the screen, you might end up getting stuck if you are an outcast and there comes a chance to change territory on the same turn. Basically I had a turn with a territory event, fey presence announcements, territory activity and then territory change opportunity. The option for leaving or staying slipped outside the screen at the bottom and I was unable to proceed in any kind of way.

In the next version the game will clear the text before showing the option to leave in order to prevent this problem. I'll put aside for later some stuff I wanted to add now to speed this up and have the release ready sooner.

Might be worth pushing this out to some of the bigger media outlets (RPS, PCgamer etc.)? It's been a while since it was mentioned and they've recently been doing quite a few 'complex' game bits.

Thing is, I've been stuck in a loop for some time in which I keep thinking that I should "just finish this one more release" before pushing the game out to a broader public. Then I inevitably get another idea I really like for the next release and postpone promoting it once again.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »

Thing is, I've been stuck in a loop for some time in which I keep thinking that I should "just finish this one more release" before pushing the game out to a broader public. Then I inevitably get another idea I really like for the next release and postpone promoting it once again.

Yeah I think that's a common problem - I'd say it's about ready now, although you might want to think about doing one last 'ease of use' release where you concentrate on areas which are difficult for new players to grasp and think about any conveniences you can add for players. It's a very different sort of game to what the broader public are used to, so anything you can do to make things easier would be really welcomed.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »

It's odd that regions you visit as an outcast don't get added to the map. (I guess because you bypass the usual expedition+challenge protocol?) I mean, I've been there, I should remember the terrain type and other basic descriptors. Going to an "unknown location" and finding out it's a place where I already spent a dozen weeks is almost a letdown. Or alternatively that after I've settled an opportunity pops up in a place where I spent a dozen weeks but I have to spend three more just trying to find it again feels so wasteful.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2018, 04:26:22 am »

Slowpoke-comment on optimisation: Yeah, A LOT better. Does not stutters anymore for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:35:16 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:12 am »

Yeah I think that's a common problem - I'd say it's about ready now, although you might want to think about doing one last 'ease of use' release where you concentrate on areas which are difficult for new players to grasp and think about any conveniences you can add for players. It's a very different sort of game to what the broader public are used to, so anything you can do to make things easier would be really welcomed.

I'm open to suggestions in regards to ease of use. I have a rather biased opinion, what with having made the whole thing and whatnot, that makes everything seem familiar and natural to me even when I can later see it simply is not for other players.

It's odd that regions you visit as an outcast don't get added to the map. (I guess because you bypass the usual expedition+challenge protocol?) I mean, I've been there, I should remember the terrain type and other basic descriptors. Going to an "unknown location" and finding out it's a place where I already spent a dozen weeks is almost a letdown. Or alternatively that after I've settled an opportunity pops up in a place where I spent a dozen weeks but I have to spend three more just trying to find it again feels so wasteful.

Fair enough. I've changed it so that in the next version those territories will appear as explored when you stay in them as an outcast.

Slowpoke-comment on optimisation: Yeah, A LOT better. Does not stutters anymore for me.

Neat! I'm relieved to know it also works better in other computers.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2018, 09:49:12 am »

Another bug suspicion - I think collecting rare books doesn't work. My dude had 105 Intelligence but still failed at it every time. I tried ten times in a row. Considering the high cost of 50ish Arkhe, this is a pretty bad result.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

As far as I can tell, you were just really unlucky. Again.

Nonetheless, I did some tweaking to make abilities slightly easier, especially for characters with high stats, and each failure will make success more likely in future attempts so that it never feels like a total waste.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27