Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79891 times)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:31 am »

I uploaded a new bugfix dealing with a bug related to descendants, in case anybody else experienced it.

I like the fact the lobbies are more active nowadays. A suggestion - maybe, when available, the units they control should be those with fluff in common? For example, I think House of Alchrousse should control a unit of their militia instead of a random Influnced unit and the Fattest of Ogres should have an ogre unit of some kind.

I agree. For now they use units of their culture, in the future with greater variety they could afford more fitting ones. Right now it'd get repetitive.

Add an option to turn off or greatly speed up lobby activities. When I'm performing grindy tasks to get cash, I don't need it to take a half hour due to people voting on things.

Actually, the entire game needs to be sped up. If you spam click, it queues those clicks and you can accidentally choose something unintended.

This is true. I'm using a visual novel engine and I don't have having any real programming knowledge so the game has technical limitations right now. Still I'll look into ways of shortening this wait time.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2015, 11:51:24 am »

You might want to look in recoding the game in C#. Transitions between screens and RNG calculations should be pretty fast.

A game with this much potential is agitating me to start developing again. Thanks for the inspiration.  :)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »

One does not simply learn programming from scratch, unfortunately. I think Anamnesis simply has a difficult balance to strike between strategic level and personal level, in the sense of scraping things together as an outcast versus conquering stuff as governor. While starting as an outcast certainly makes everything progress very slow, it gives a feeling that when you actually make several hundreds a turn, you've earned it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2015, 02:08:53 pm »

This text from the description on the descendants feature made me laugh:

Some lovers will now want to raise children when you woo them.
However, in following cycles, either these children or their descendants have a chance to make it as aristocrats in the colony. In this case, even if they don't succeed, they'll take all your money.

Ah, just like real life!

EDIT: By the way, I love love love the new cycle system where the starting condition isn't fixed.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2015, 03:24:46 pm »

One does not simply learn programming from scratch, unfortunately. I think Anamnesis simply has a difficult balance to strike between strategic level and personal level, in the sense of scraping things together as an outcast versus conquering stuff as governor. While starting as an outcast certainly makes everything progress very slow, it gives a feeling that when you actually make several hundreds a turn, you've earned it.

I don't agree. Everyone who programs has learned it from scratch. :)

I'm with you on the latter point. It's really tough to strike that fine balance between "I got new furniture" and "My legions are dominating this entire colony, and the lobbyists are afraid of us".

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2015, 04:02:41 pm »

I think the outcast mode needs currently some redesign. I always start as an outcast because... I dunno, I just find it fun or maybe !!FUN!!.

However, it is possible to get stuck in a weariness spiral where you get to, say, 180 weariness and never really get it down. I think there should be options to do something drastic to drop extreme weariness to a manageable level. Something like, say, sacrificing a bunch of virgins to beastmen gods when at the Headless, causing a huge flip in tension but removing 150 weariness or something. These options should only be available as an outcast, I think. Alternatively, lobbies should be able to lend a hand.

Basically, I think the game should avoid putting the player in situations where you can't do anything for extended amount of time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:49 pm »

latest zip does not work for me
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2015, 09:35:46 pm »

latest zip does not work for me

I recall this happened to some people long ago, but it works fine for me, so the server might be acting up again. Try using the mirrors and make sure that the zip is about 38,6MB in size, otherwise it's been cut short.

EDIT: By the way, I love love love the new cycle system where the starting condition isn't fixed.

That's actually a load off my shoulders! I was concerned that people would complain about having to play a game mode they didn't fancy.

I think the outcast mode needs currently some redesign. I always start as an outcast because... I dunno, I just find it fun or maybe !!FUN!!.

However, it is possible to get stuck in a weariness spiral where you get to, say, 180 weariness and never really get it down. I think there should be options to do something drastic to drop extreme weariness to a manageable level. Something like, say, sacrificing a bunch of virgins to beastmen gods when at the Headless, causing a huge flip in tension but removing 150 weariness or something. These options should only be available as an outcast, I think. Alternatively, lobbies should be able to lend a hand.

Basically, I think the game should avoid putting the player in situations where you can't do anything for extended amount of time.

Lobbies should in theory aid outcasts affiliated to them in this version, so long as you didn't do something silly like become affiliated to the ogres or something like that. But I'll keep this in mind.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2015, 12:26:34 am »

That's actually a load off my shoulders! I was concerned that people would complain about having to play a game mode they didn't fancy.

I'll do you one better:
When I had read about the descendants between generations, but did not know that it affected the game mode on the next cycle, I was going to propose almost exactly what you had in fact already implemented.  It just made sense.
I kept thinking things like,
"Wouldn't any ol' descendants be able to set me up in a little shack somewhere so I don't have to start as an Outcast?"
"If my descendants are Aristocrats, shouldn't it be more likely that I start with a Governorship?"
"Alone and Poor, doesn't that just define an Outcast?"

EDIT: Question - Can I gain descendants as an outcast?  The obvious answer is "no", but thought I might ask for the sake of my Outcast's sanity.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »

Does anyone else get a Nine Princes in Amber vibe from this?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2015, 07:42:01 pm »

EDIT: Question - Can I gain descendants as an outcast?  The obvious answer is "no", but thought I might ask for the sake of my Outcast's sanity.

Technically, there's nothing stopping an outcast from gaining descendants if you do end up in a place with a wooable, receptive character. You'd just be ill-advised to accept a situation that could involve you losing money or gaining weariness because of it.

Does anyone else get a Nine Princes in Amber vibe from this?

Didn't hear about it until now, but it sounds interesting enough from what I can gather and now my curiosity is piqued. I'll make a note to check it out.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »

It's been years since I've read these, but I wanna say this was more reminiscent of the Corwin cycle (Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, The Courts of Chaos) than the Merlin cycle (Trumps of Doom, Blood of Amber, Sign of Chaos, Knight of Shadows, Prince of Chaos), but again, it's been at least a decade since I've read anything of Zelany's. I can't really sum up why it was so evocative of it to me either. But there was definitely that muckity-muck, gritty yet romantic, scheming sort of feel.

Although some of that may relate to how awful I am at Anamnesis.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:40 pm »

Technically, there's nothing stopping an outcast from gaining descendants if you do end up in a place with a wooable, receptive character. You'd just be ill-advised to accept a situation that could involve you losing money or gaining weariness because of it.

Why not?  Descendants allow my next character the chance to not be an Outcast.  Considering how fragile an Outcast's existence really is, it seems like a valuable insurance policy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »

Why not?  Descendants allow my next character the chance to not be an Outcast.  Considering how fragile an Outcast's existence really is, it seems like a valuable insurance policy.
The sad implication is that they did better then you if you start as an outcast and die/retire as one.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:58 pm »

The sad implication is that they did better then you if you start as an outcast and die/retire as one.
In my family, that has always been considered an ideal outcome.  Each Generation better.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27