Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79907 times)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »

I uploaded a new version addressing all those bugs and requests a while ago.

I'll start working on the next big update tomorrow if there are no more bugs there.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2014, 08:41:04 am »

No bugs encountered so far, but I haven't come across many anyway. Final Symphony is a fun addition, reminds me of Music of Eric Zahn. That gave me an idea of mathematical relic, Ultimate Formula or something like that. Wouldn't that fit Lovecraftian and 1920s (Einstein and all) theme pretty good? A supremely complex calculation which somehow opens the basic roots of the universe open for understanding and manipulation.

edit: I noticed watching performers at the dock increases weariness, is this intentional? It sounds like something that should lower it instead.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:32:58 am by Majestic7 »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:28 am »

What is the coolest thing I can do in this game?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

Nuke the colony, probably.

...Getting nuked is also kinda cool.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2014, 02:47:45 pm »

Well, I have a bug for you now. When playing an outcast, I get occasionally stuck in a... pseudo-shelter. Basically, it is like I got stuck between two territories. I get a fluff text like I was in a territory, like "You are being held in" in the case of Arrakensis tribunal, but not the rest of the text. The only options I have are rest and hanging around with the renascent I came to the colony with. Lots of texts missing and seems I can't leave... Kind of makes the outcast mode unplayable if you get thrown into this limbo.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2014, 03:43:15 pm »

No bugs encountered so far, but I haven't come across many anyway. Final Symphony is a fun addition, reminds me of Music of Eric Zahn. That gave me an idea of mathematical relic, Ultimate Formula or something like that. Wouldn't that fit Lovecraftian and 1920s (Einstein and all) theme pretty good? A supremely complex calculation which somehow opens the basic roots of the universe open for understanding and manipulation.

edit: I noticed watching performers at the dock increases weariness, is this intentional? It sounds like something that should lower it instead.

That could be fun, but overall I try to avoid mathematics because they are my weakest point and I'm afraid I might write something too silly. I'm rather worried about some other sciencey relics and locations as it is. The increase in weariness was not intentional, it's fixed now.

Personally, I enjoyed that one time I managed to open a microscopic hole into another dimension and something like 100 people died carbonized before it closed down on its own. I was tracked and killed by a venomous scorpion while hiding in a motel afterwards though.

Well, I have a bug for you now. When playing an outcast, I get occasionally stuck in a... pseudo-shelter. Basically, it is like I got stuck between two territories. I get a fluff text like I was in a territory, like "You are being held in" in the case of Arrakensis tribunal, but not the rest of the text. The only options I have are rest and hanging around with the renascent I came to the colony with. Lots of texts missing and seems I can't leave... Kind of makes the outcast mode unplayable if you get thrown into this limbo.

Did you notice if there was a voting before that? That could have caused it and I did something about it. Otherwise I'd need more info or a save.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2014, 06:31:44 am »

Yeah, voting seems to be connected with the outcast bug.

Re: formula, I think the scientific things work fine as it is. They leave enough room for interpretation. (ALIENS!) However, you have several things in that seem mystical but turn out to be super-science. So what if the formula was the opposite? Created by a legendary mathematician before his disappearance, it turns out to be sorcery.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:07 am »

Re: formula, I think the scientific things work fine as it is. They leave enough room for interpretation. (ALIENS!) However, you have several things in that seem mystical but turn out to be super-science. So what if the formula was the opposite? Created by a legendary mathematician before his disappearance, it turns out to be sorcery.
For what it's worth, I like it. I've been thinking about the idea of people who think they're on the bleeding edge of science, but are actually driven mad by sorcery and create magical artifacts thinking them technological prototypes. (An example could be Dr. Frankenstein, who in the book straps a bunch of mostly-un-rotten body parts (including at least day old brain) together, fries it all with lightning and somehow gets a functioning humanoid. Even at the time of writing it was clear that neither of those things can possibly work- brains not immediately fed with oxygen are useless within the hour (5-10 minutes in fact, modern science tells us), and putting half a GigaJoule of electricity through a human body will turn it into a nicely cooked steak. It is, however, completely consistent with making a Flesh Golem- the lightning in this case is used as an elemental power source, and the rotten brain is merely a vessel for a humunculus' intelligence)
As an aside it's actually hilariously easy to tell a "mad scientist" from a real scientist, by the amount of peer-reviewed tipple blind test results they've published.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »

Ok then, I uploaded the first and hopefully last bugfix for this release. There is a small chance I didn't fully fixed that bug because I couldn't get it to replicate more than once, but in that particular instance it was fixed.

Some sort of science that turns out to be sorcery could have potential. The problem with magic however is that, if it can be understood and replicated, it'd probably shift into a science like renaissance natural magic (alchemy, herbal medicine and such) shifted through natural philosophy into the natural sciences, so we could get entangled in definitions there. But yeah, feyfolk and the like should mess a lot more with scientists and science.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:13 am »

New version's up, there is nothing groundbreaking about it, but it takes care of some old annoyances.

I shall now start my first 0.40 fortress wait for bug reports for a few days and then resume content and feature development.

Here, have a changelog.

Change Log:

* Detailed Afflictions: Weariness over 100 will now give you afflictions instead of simply lowering your stats. The effects of these afflictions are varied and detailed, with a different one for each territory and 1 generic affliction for each of the 2 factions.
* Basic City-Building: You can claim land in the Projects menu after occupying a territory or buy it from local aristocrats. You'll be able to either sell this land or build housing and assets in them. Housing will create a core of loyal colonists, while assets may yield different bonuses or penalties. Assets can be acquired through your learned abilities or by inviting local aristocrats once you have enough land. Assets require a Fortress/Dungeon and they are affected by the tendencies' values. If your base accumulates over 100 Weariness, assets and housing will start to suffer as well.
* Piracy: There is now a pseudo-territory named The High Seas where naval combat takes place. Attacking units with ferrying capacity will threaten any maritime commerce you are carrying at the time. Wandering enemy units will also yield a loot relative to their ferrying capacity if  confronted and defeated.
Local aristocrats must be invited before you can carry any other action with them. Good furniture and lavish expending can give you better chances while negotiating with them. Their fortunes also fluctuate depending on voting results.
* You now need at least 10 Merit to be summoned to a voting. This is part of an ongoing effort to introduce players to the different mechanics of the game more gradually.
* Enemies are now aware of strategic advantages and disadvantages and act accordingly.
* 1 new territory was added.
* 4 new units were added.
* Several small fixes and tweaks.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2014, 10:34:56 am »

Grabbing it now!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2014, 10:37:17 am »

Woo, I'll try it out in depth tomorrow.

Edit: Found a bug immediately. When leaving a territory as an outcast, I get stuck into a limbo. It looks like staying in the base -option when you have a base, but can't do anything but rest. Isn't this an old bug that was fixed some time ago? Guess it has come back.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:00:23 am by Majestic7 »

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »

I can't get it to replicate but still I added another safeguard that should hopefully keep problems like that from happening in the future.

I don't know if it actually fixed anything so I didn't name it a bugfix release, but I reuploaded the game with those changes. Try redownloading and let me know if anything else still happens.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2014, 12:30:11 am »

It seems that the "stuck in a pseudo-shelter limbo forever" happens to an outcast when a monstrous unit event happens at the same time as the outcast is moving from one territory to another. So, for example, ogres taking an action causes this, while regular infantry taking an action does not. That is the best I've been able to isolate the bug. It is certainly still there, though.

Minor bug: checking the info (from the crown symbol) for new factions like the railroad company causes a crash.

Minor balance suggestion: while afflictions caused by Weariness 100+ are fun, as an outcast, you are still easily driven to Weariness 200+ by unlucky terrain choices. This racks up further afflictions, which cause further Weariness etc... What if catching an affliction lowered your Weariness by 20 or so? In the case of hitting 100, that would mean 80, which gave you some wiggle room to improve the situation. Now the first time you cross 100 Weariness, you often get stuck in an affliction spiral you just can't get out of.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2014, 07:45:32 am »

I still can't get into that limbo for some reason, so we'll just forbid events from happening while an outcast moves and be done with it. The crash on the information screen has also been fixed. Thanks for reporting!

I can also see there is a problem with afflictions but I didn't like the idea of losing Weariness because you got afflicted. For now instead there will be just a 1 in 3 chance of getting an affliction while your weariness increases over 100. We'll see if more balancing or a Weariness upper cap is still needed there in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27