Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79916 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2014, 04:18:33 am »

Hmm. Well, you're sure those were philanthropist lobbies you approached? Once I went full Hedonist, I never had any trouble approaching Hedonist lobbies. Maybe there's an RNG thing, or a bug like you said.

Also, you asked about that 'pushing your case' for X merits option. What that means is that you spend some time before the vote pushing your own case, earning those merits for yourself.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:43 am »

it might be nice if the game sort of slowed down with random enemy activity and votes while the player is outcast, essentially reflecting that the opposing faction doesn't really know if the player is alive or dead, and thus is taking it easy.

Potentially serious stuff like the creation of emplacements or anomalies happen less often while the player is an outcast, and such players and even adventurers are also spared the costs of, for example, sentient tornadoes rampaging the countryside. Perhaps this could be extended to other things.

I clicked "investments" and "research for .25," then chose a territory from the list. Nothing happened - it just brought me back to the investments menu. My merit was still the same. I tried it again, and again it just brought me back to the menu. Then I tried a different territory, and the same thing happened. I decided to leave the investments menu and try again from scratch. As I hit "return" until I was back in the correspondence menu, I saw that suddenly my merit had dropped down to .1 again. So apparently it was spending the merit to research investments, but not showing any results (or deducting the merit from the total on the screen). If there were no opportunities found, then surely it should say "no opportunities found" and deduct the merit used on the spot, right?

That was a bug concerning a switch not properly handled, it's fixed for the next release.

In any case, knowing that this is essentially a game where I need to have a real-life notebook and pencil standing by to keep notes makes a big difference to my understanding. I haven't seen a game that doesn't simply let you access basic information anytime since the early 90s. It would be great if, in the future, the interface could be adjusted a bit so that you could always access the basic information about lobbies, colonies, your individual workers, etc.

Well, the game does attempt to recreate a pen and paper rpg experience! Jokes aside, for the next release we'll get a more detailed "interests" screen telling you each lobby's affiliations and their reputation, and thus if it would be worthy to approach them before a voting.

Hmm. Well, you're sure those were philanthropist lobbies you approached? Once I went full Hedonist, I never had any trouble approaching Hedonist lobbies. Maybe there's an RNG thing, or a bug like you said.

As far as I know, there is no bug here. There is no RNG involved in the action of approaching a lobby itself. If you don't have their same reputation you won't get any favours, no point in trying anymore unless you change your reputation first with other actions. The RNG however can make it so that you get no philanthropist lobbies or that those lobbies are seldom available before voting.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2014, 12:28:00 pm »

Lots of helpful information! Thanks.

The reason I asked about the philanthropist rejection by lobbies thing is because I had asked what determines which lobbies I can approach, and I thought someone said that only the ones with the same reputation as me would show up (ie if I was philanthropist, only philanthropist ones would show up as options). Therefore I was confused when I tried to approach them and found that they *weren't* philanthropist, or at least they didn't like philanthropists. I think I misunderstood the response -- clearly that is not how it works. Only the ones with the same reputation as me will *accept* my approach; I get that now. I still don't know what determines which lobbies actually show up as available for me to suck up to before votes, though, and that was my original question. Is it random? It seems random.

I did finally figure out myself that the "pushing your case" option *gives* merit rather than costing it. I was confused by the wording. The word "for" messed me up - I thought that meant the cost (ie "Go buy some oranges for $1"). I thought that it was something that cost merit and gave me something else in return (that "pushing your case" meant something specific regarding the vote, maybe influencing others to vote your way), so I didn't dare click it because I'm always so low on merit. Am I the only one who was confused by that? If so, then never mind me. If the wording is confusing for others too,  maybe it could be slightly modified to something like "Concentrate on pushing your case (+0.3 merit)"?

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »

Posting to watch, because this game sounds interesting. I haven't tried it yet because bugs keep getting fixed at a crazy rate, so I want to wait for the "next version" :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »

Kinda bug like: I was asked for a loan by a lobby, and wanted to check them out. The info Icons (dove and hydra) instead showed me what I assume is a random enemy and a random ally (the enemy may or may not have been the last enemy I met, whereas the ally was definitely not).
bug: I just had a Court lobby offer me favors to vote against Stalwart Immigration, and an Influence lobby to vote for it. Better yet the Influenced lobby was the one who put it to a vote!
Feature request: maybe people who reach 0 weariness should automatically switch to training? (If there is any tradeoff to not training at we:0 I have not found it)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:32:40 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2014, 08:35:31 pm »

Kinda bug like: I was asked for a loan by a lobby, and wanted to check them out. The info Icons (dove and hydra) instead showed me what I assume is a random enemy and a random ally (the enemy may or may not have been the last enemy I met, whereas the ally was definitely not).
bug: I just had a Court lobby offer me favors to vote against Stalwart Immigration, and an Influence lobby to vote for it. Better yet the Influenced lobby was the one who put it to a vote!
Feature request: maybe people who reach 0 weariness should automatically switch to training? (If there is any tradeoff to not training at we:0 I have not found it)

1. This does sound buggy, but the info on lobbies is on the interests button on the far right side.
2. Most immigration votes affect things other than immigration. That particular vote probably promoted a core interest of the Influence lobby, dunno why the  Staltwart would vote against it though.
3. IIRC only people who aren't training do random actions.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »

2. Most immigration votes affect things other than immigration. That particular vote probably promoted a core interest of the Influence lobby, dunno why the  Staltwart would vote against it though.
It was one of those Benefit X immigration affect -X immigration deals.
Also, what does ending an age do? Or is finding that out supposed to be part of the !!fun!!?
3. IIRC only people who aren't training do random actions.
That is definitely not right. Maybe they do them more often?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:47:29 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:09 am »

Fixed for the next version.

Sometimes some lobbies might actually pull stuff like that, and they might hate each other enough to actually override common sense, but I'll still take a look at their priorities to make sure nothing wrong is going on there.

That's a good idea, I'll explore it. There are no current tradeoffs, but there might be some involving future features.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2014, 05:19:04 pm »

bug:Lobbies are sometimes shown to have (or have? could be related to that previous bug) the wrong loyalties during a vote. Here's 2 screenshots taken during and  after the vote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Loyalties/values could come from this (previous lobby in the list), note the matching origin and preference:
bug: Renascents captured, set to forced labor and later recruited will revert to [captured] status upon completion of the task. Interestingly this only affects the Forces menu and the Projects menu (and, possibly the quest menu- it's hard to tell now that I've collected all the pieces), but not the stay home menu (you can still hang out with them, and consequently can't recruit again).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:12:24 pm by a1s »

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »

bug:Lobbies are sometimes shown to have (or have? could be related to that previous bug) the wrong loyalties during a vote. Here's 2 screenshots taken during and  after the vote:
Loyalties/values could come from this (previous lobby in the list), note the matching origin and preference:

Fixed for the next release, that lobby was probably available to approach before the voting. They were messing some variables, but only for display purposes.

bug: Renascents captured, set to forced labor and later recruited will revert to [captured] status upon completion of the task. Interestingly this only affects the Forces menu and the Projects menu (and, possibly the quest menu- it's hard to tell now that I've collected all the pieces), but not the stay home menu (you can still hang out with them, and consequently can't recruit again).

Currently, captured renascents never fully convert to your side. They can stop being hostile, allowing you more options when staying home, but they won't fight for you and they still have penalties, so they keep their captured status. The wording might be a little vague, so I could change that anyway.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2014, 05:19:08 am »

Request: let us set the game resolution. Right now on my screen I can barely read the words when windowed, they're so tiny. Full screen I can read them fine, but then I can't access any other programs (and alt+tabbing tends to crash the game).

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »

Ok then, a resizeable window for the next version it is.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »

Just saying I'm happy to see the game gain a sudden flurry of active fans here!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2014, 02:21:12 am »

Hooray! Any ETA on the next update?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:40 am »

Just saying I'm happy to see the game gain a sudden flurry of active fans here!

No kidding. The previous releases caused so little interest that I was starting to feel bad about posting them here.

Hooray! Any ETA on the next update?

Sometime next week, depends on how many other things get in the way.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27