Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79929 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:13 am »

Thanks for the fixes!  I sort of suspected the pottery was bugged when I got 75 value on a Resistance 5 character.  But I had fun milking the lobby that I gifted it to for 2 merits of every point of favor that I beat the lobby's power by.  Since the lobby only had 43 power, I got a ton of merit off them before my favor was comparable to their power.

I've been thinking for a while about adding specific ailments instead of random permanent drops of abilities for high weariness.

If you are for example wandering or fighting in the crawling labyrinth and your weariness reaches over 100, you'd get a bad case of centipede eggs in your brain, costing you intelligence. You'd later be able to cure it spending a certain amount of Arkhe and recover your stats. However I actually believe this would be more punishing than simply doing jobs and recovering those stats unless you've managed to get up to very high levels.

More punishing? Yes!  More fun and descriptive (and thus desirable)? Double Yes!

Besides, it's not like the player can get each ailment more than once (although it might get worse), so overpowering weariness won't cause the repeated damage to stats if the player just stays put (dunno if there will only be one or a few ailments in each area, but presumably the player will eventually run out of new ailments if they stay put long enough, whereas new areas mean new ailments).  Under the current system, the player is just going to keep getting damage to stats (hence the 5 resistance of my character) because some territories offer few/infrequent ways of decreasing weariness as an outcast along with standard actions that boost weariness.  Fact is, some territories are just plain hazardous for the outcast, lol.  The journey to find a "livable" territory as outcast is part of the immersion.

Plus, I've generally found it easier to scrape up Arkhe than to boost stats, although I have also experienced games of poverty and lots of "instructor companions".  And it's not like the player can't just overcompensate with skill growth rather than cure the specific ailment(s).

The ailments don't have to be all-bad.  Maybe some ailments greatly hurt one stat but offer a tiny boost to another, just for variety.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:36 am »

You could make the cost of removing the ailment scale to your base stats if you want to make it less punishing on people with lower stats.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:41 am »

Some companions might be able to help remove the ailments too, surely? Anyway, I found a bug: if you dump residue in the sewers as an outcast, the game crashes.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:31 pm »

I've finished uploading a new version fixing those bugs, including the crash in the sewers.

I've been thinking a little more about ailments and I think they could actually become the player's equivalent to the spontaneous actions of other units. Causing you to do all kinds of nasty stuff against your will. You know, causing you grievous pain, making you squander your money on ancient treatises or making you kill innocent people without noticing it. Defined ailments could also provide a cap of stat loss so that at least not all your stats will plummet too low, with their loss linked to those events rather than being automatic.

There are some more considerations to be made yet, but I might actually go ahead and do something like this for the next big release.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:51 pm »

Want some ideas for ailments, if they are unique for each location? Here are a couple and I can easily generate more if they are useful. If you rather come up with them all by yourself, don't worry, I get it.

Off-shore platform could inflict black ooze infection, in the spirit of the creepy oil in X-files. This would make the character occasionally irradiate allies and kill population, rising tension.

How about the cemetery making the character a ghoul - while extremely hungry and lost in catacombs he actually feasts upon cadavers - with craving for human flesh. He would be caught occasionally while eating corpses, losing Merit and causing tension.

I could see the bog and crawling labyrinth causing insectile infestations, which lower, say, resistance and intelligence for the duration. Delta could cause good old malaria, with damage to physical abilities.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:01 am »

Not sure if this has been reported/fixed yet since i just got this on the pre bug fix version and I can't seem to find a changelog/bug tracker, but it seems that if your an outcast and try to buy a home after fleeing a battle you just lose the 100 arkhe.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2014, 01:22:15 pm »

Nope, wasn't reported, but it's fixed now, thanks. I'll upload a second bugfix in a short while.

Want some ideas for ailments, if they are unique for each location? Here are a couple and I can easily generate more if they are useful. If you rather come up with them all by yourself, don't worry, I get it.

They'll probably be unique for each location. A little inspiration is fun, and I can see you already get the general vibe of it, but as you probably guessed coming up with these things is the fun part of making this game for me, so I'd rather do them on my own. Thanks for the offer though!

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:48 am »

Played it for a bit, but

What exactly merit stands for ? How votes and other politics related shenanigans concern me if I'm just a mere adventurer ? Why do I suck at everything but simplest tasks that give nothing and just increase my weariness ? How do I recruit more people ? How do I force fights with creatures/people I meet ?

I can see FUN lurking below, but I can't quite catch it, yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »

For one thing, exploration of the game system is part of the fun.  Just fiddle around till you understand things.

Assuming from your post that you don't like that sort of thing, here's a brief rundown:

Merits: Social standing, prestige, clout.  You get .1 for every turn that you have positive wealth, you lose .1 for every turn you have negative wealth.  You need to spend .1 every time you go to a province that you don't own (I think of it as the authority you need to expend to convince the locals to let you visit their lands).  Your total merit, rounded down to the nearest whole number, is also how many votes you can cast in elections (if you haven't seen one, just wait till you get one, it should be relatively straightforward).  You lose no merits in voting.  You also need a full merit in order to participate in voting, which is desirable for a number of reasons that will become obvious the more votes you see.

You can also spend 1 merit to deploy all your forces in battle.  Your forces work more as a sum of their attributes rather than actually stacking together.  I'm not sure exactly what formula is used to compose your army from your various forces, but suffice to say that you should recruit for diversity in attributes (specifically, you'll want to pick up a high-resistance unit).

Votes affect you primarily due to the win conditions.  The most straightforward is: You can try to declare yourself emperor, and if you have enough merits plus controlled lobbies (see the "visit lobby" page under "correspondence" for more on controlling lobbies, but you basically need equal favors and a Renascent other than yourself with the same origin [found on their bio page] and same side in the order[stalwart]/influence war) to overpower every other lobby plus roughly 30 independent votes, you win the game!

The other win condition where votes matter is when trying to get the colony population to support all order or all influence (when all colonists belong to the same faction, that faction wins).  Several votes will affect the immigration of either population type, and the election will generally be won by whichever faction has the stronger lobbies supporting it (except, of course, when a lobby goes against its faction with it's proposal, f@c!ing University of Stallion trying to bar it's drop-outs from immigrating and shooting the Order in the foot in the process...).  So you generally want your faction's lobbies to be stronger overall than the other faction's lobbies, just so you can win/don't lose the population war.  Faction power by lobby tends to snowball, as each win for a particular lobby makes it easier for that lobby to win next time and get even more powerful.  Starting out as an adventurer is actually good because you can see how the lobbies and votes work before you have enough merits to damage things by mis-voting.  That said, I usually side with whomever will give me a favor for voting for them, if that is a option.

As for sucking at tasks...maybe your character just sucks?  :P  Your starting character isn't Superman: You need time to develop.  The more you do, the more attribute increases you'll get, so you'll get better.  If you're going for quests, get some Renascents to join you, or you'll never get through them.  Also stockpile merits before going on a quest, as you can spend up to 3.5 merits (first challenge .5, second challenge 1, third challenge 2; personally, I try to have 2 merits for the final challenge, as it sucks to almost succeed in a quest but still fail) toward autowinning quest challenges.

Also...some tasks only lead to failure and weariness.  You'll just have to figure out which tasks actually lead to something productive and which ones are time wasters.

You can recruit two types of forces to help you: Renascents and other forces.  Renascents are individuals that help with quests and other skill checks.  Other forces are everything else: Some are unnamed individuals (such as a single duelist, detective, or doctor), some are groups (such as military units, labor groups, or unarmed mobs), and some are monsters.  You can recruit them through correspondence, or for Renascents, by rescuing them by passing a skill test in random territories (you'll be able to tell as they feature names in the task).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2014, 06:06:24 pm »

Protip: As an Adventurer, seek out tasks that start with "Work as...".  Those designate jobs that regularly pay more than 1 Arkhe, which is significant because the player loses 1 Arkhe per turn if they have no regular source of income.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »

I think I ran into a bug with 140304 bf2. When my outcast was trying to avoid combat, she had failed hiding and was offered a chance to change territories. Next turn I seemed to have a base and was generally back to the regular interface (and had a new Nascent, which as an outcast I didn't (couln't?) have)
update: After an enemy finally kicked me out of the shelter, it had the side effect of wiping out my savings, I'm not sure this is a bug, but just wanted to check it in.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:02:12 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2014, 02:41:13 am »

I just tried to download the latest bugfix and Chrome blocked it saying it is a "malicious file." I assume that's not true and am now re-downloading it with Firefox - but did anyone else get this error, or know what's causing it?

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2014, 08:50:32 am »

I think I ran into a bug with 140304 bf2. When my outcast was trying to avoid combat, she had failed hiding and was offered a chance to change territories. Next turn I seemed to have a base and was generally back to the regular interface (and had a new Nascent, which as an outcast I didn't (couln't?) have)
update: After an enemy finally kicked me out of the shelter, it had the side effect of wiping out my savings, I'm not sure this is a bug, but just wanted to check it in.

The free base was a bug and it's fixed now in bf3. The free companion and loss of savings are expected results. Thanks for reporting.

I just tried to download the latest bugfix and Chrome blocked it saying it is a "malicious file." I assume that's not true and am now re-downloading it with Firefox - but did anyone else get this error, or know what's causing it?

Back in the day, my antivirus used to tell me that Anamnesis and nothing else in my computer was malware, right after compiling it. If this is something that started happening now, I don't know what could be the cause. Are the mediafire mirrors also blocked by Chrome? Does this happened or happens with any other version?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:08 am »

The link isn't blocked at all. But once the file is downloaded, Chrome apparently scans it, decides it's malware, and blocks it from being used. Worked fine when I downloaded with Firefox. Very strange. There must be some bit of code that resembles some sort of virus?

I gave this game another try but I'm still completely lost. Everything seems to cost loads of Arkhe, yet I can't seem to earn more than a few Arkhe at a time each turn, and no matter how carefully I read everything, I can't figure out what the voting is all about, what each vote means, what each group is. I've read everything in the thread but still I'm at a loss. It seems most of you guys are doing just fine with the game, but I don't know how.

Also, there are various times when it says something costs X Arkhe/Merits, but it doesn't show anywhere on the screen how many I have. Makes me really uncertain whether I should pay it or not.

I like the vibe of the game and I'm sure I could enjoy it if I could just figure out what's going on. Is anyone willing to provide a newbie tutorial for your first few turns, what you should do, what it means? There are so many numbers and symbols and whatnot that I just can't get oriented with all that information being thrown at me all at once.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:45:58 am by Sappho »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:57 am »

Also, there are various times when it says something costs X Arkhe/Merits, but it doesn't show anywhere on the screen how many I have. Makes me really uncertain whether I should pay it or not.

Oftentimes, you can click "Bio" and you'll see your character sheet, which will also show your total Arkhe and Merits.

That said, I tend to "just buy everything", if I think it will be useful.   ;D

The only real problem with a tutorial is that it'll vary based upon which level of starting character you chose.

Basically:
As a Governor, hire a military unit and take over a territory with a large Arkhe reserve, then milk that territory dry.
As a Trader, acquire a merchant license and start ferrying goods.
As an Adventurer, explore the territories until you find one where you can reliably earn Arkhe, then alternate between earning Arkhe and resting.
As an Outcast, do whatever you can to save up for a shelter/hideout!

Also: http://blog.anamnesis.co/p/how-to.html
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27