Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79935 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:29 pm »

Sent you a zip of the save folder.

Thanks for your response, I hadn't realized that I couldn't purchase land from monsters.  That explains a lot, actually.  Thanks also for explaining the resurfacing.

Probably don't need to buy land if I can just trash it.  Armies of fodder, away!

It's possible that I just didn't see the +.5 merits from controlled or destroyed all territories, with several lost due to wastelands.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:46 pm »

There was some weird stuff going on in that save. One of the territories had a negative Arkhe balance, yet some sort of phantom unit was still trying to extract Arkhe from it without even using a project slot. This should be fixed for the next release.

I really appreciate having this kind of feedback. I usually cheat my way through the games to test things faster and these kinds of bugs can slip by.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2014, 07:22:02 pm »

Glad I can help.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:23 am »

New version, not save compatible.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »

Is it just me or is the outcast mode harder than before? It seems weariness increases a lot faster than before. Losing Resistance permanently to weariness 100+ is so annoying. Especially since you end up in a death spiral. I guess if you lost some weariness when you lose Resistance, it would be more bearable. Still, I'd prefer a mechanic where instead of losing Resistance permanently, you lose time and/or Arkhe.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »

Is it just me or is the outcast mode harder than before? It seems weariness increases a lot faster than before. Losing Resistance permanently to weariness 100+ is so annoying. Especially since you end up in a death spiral. I guess if you lost some weariness when you lose Resistance, it would be more bearable. Still, I'd prefer a mechanic where instead of losing Resistance permanently, you lose time and/or Arkhe.
Permanently?  I thought resistance went down as a percentage of weariness, same as all the other stats.  It'd go back up once your weariness drops?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »

Permanently?  I thought resistance went down as a percentage of weariness, same as all the other stats.  It'd go back up once your weariness drops?

When you are playing an outcast and weariness reaches/surpasses 100, you lose Resistance permanently. I'm not sure if it is the same with a base, as I've never let weariness that high with one.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:23 pm »

This game is pretty overwhelming. Any advice?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »

This game is pretty overwhelming. Any advice?

If you want to limit your options at a start, try as an outcast. It will be very hard, but you'll be just wandering around territories. Try to put together 100 buckaroos so you can build a base and settle down.

If you want the whole thing at your plate without huge limits at the start, start as a governor. Then you can afford to hire troops to fight for you etc.

You are in the territory to hunt for an artifact; you achieve this by going to the territories and trying to find the piece in it. Then you can research the piece at home and eventually, put them together. You can win by having an effect on the population; if you are Stalwart you win by making the whole population Stalwart. Stuff like immigration votes etc affect this. In ye olden times, activating the collected artifact made you win, but I'm not sure if it is the case anymore.

Anything specific you'd like to ask and/or hear about?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:47 pm »

I would not recommend Outcast for first timers.  You are at the mercy of RNG and if you progress too slow... it could get harder to get out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2014, 08:22:16 pm »

Not much more to ask, just trying my best to figure it all out.

Thanks. :)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »

I would not recommend Outcast for first timers.  You are at the mercy of RNG and if you progress too slow... it could get harder to get out.

Hey, this is the Dwarf Fortress forum. Losing is fun!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:59 am »

Hey, this is the Dwarf Fortress forum. Losing is fun!

I would at least recommend starting at least as an Adventurer.  Outcast mode is for pure exploring of random territories (and dying, lots of dying).

But really, the best way to learn about the game is starting as a Governor.  While you can do everything, the abundance of resources makes it easier to learn.

As for artifacts, you still can "win" if you collect/examine all the artifact pieces (I'm not even sure you need to examine all the artifact pieces, just finding the bloody things might be enough).  But you get better ending sequences if you can either get elected emperor or push all the population to your faction.

Still, whether you win or lose is basically whether you obtain the artifact or you die (and thus the other faction obtains the artifact, because you're not around to stop them).

I've finally figured out why your character and your character alone is your faction:

For the Stalwards: You're the only person who thinks the crazies of the Influence are a credible threat to the established order.
For the Influence: You're the only person sane/selfless enough in the Influence to pose a credible threat to the established order.  :P

Either way, I definitely feel like I'm playing Call of Cthulhu, either as an investigator trying to save the world, or a corrupted investigator trying to destroy it.  I can even recruit like-minded folk (Renascents characters) to help, and start with a sidekick!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:42 am »

Found a bug!

When the player goes outcast and still possesses territory, then purchases a home and stops being outcast, that territory is no longer accessible for Extract Arkhe projects.  On the other hand, now that I'm not outcast I appear to be gaining some Arkhe each turn without any active projects.

Further information: On the random date night screen, I was informed that we couldn't go out anywhere because I didn't own any territories, even though the map shows my territory from pre-outcast days as owned.  Additionally, when I'm attacked, I can select the territory as my battlefield when defending.

On an unrelated note, the skill of pottery is seriously overpowered.  My character, who has the governing trait of 5, just created a piece of furniture worth 75 favors.  Or, basically enough to take over generally any single lobby with a single gift.  Once you know the secrets of the pottery skill, the game become more about just surviving until you can take over all the lobbies than anything else.  Granted, I have nothing wrong with that, but value 75 is probably a bit excessive, since it only takes 8 Arkhe to make, and even with all the wasted attempts, its really a matter of time before the player scores enough sweet furniture to bribe enough lobbies to become Emperor.  Only real obstacle is getting Renascents of proper origin (player character doesn't count) and faction affiliation (in-game descriptor of "alignment" caused me some confusion, as I thought it meant that ruthless/hedonist/philanthropist mattered...although it also doesn't say that the player can't puppet a lobby).  Obstacle that I quite enjoy, although randomness makes it sometimes harder and sometimes easier.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:18 am »

While making pottery godly enough to make lobbies prostrate to your feet makes for quite an interesting story, I'm afraid that was a bug. You did give me a nice idea for a new relic though.

It appears at some point furniture created through skills decided to take another different variable as its value. This and the unusable territories after being outcast have been fixed now. I'll have a bugfix ready later today, I just have to proofread the 2 new units and take care of some other unrelated stuff.

Is it just me or is the outcast mode harder than before? It seems weariness increases a lot faster than before.

I can say I didn't touch anything concerning weariness this time at the very least.

I've been thinking for a while about adding specific ailments instead of random permanent drops of abilities for high weariness.

If you are for example wandering or fighting in the crawling labyrinth and your weariness reaches over 100, you'd get a bad case of centipede eggs in your brain, costing you intelligence. You'd later be able to cure it spending a certain amount of Arkhe and recover your stats. However I actually believe this would be more punishing than simply doing jobs and recovering those stats unless you've managed to get up to very high levels.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27