Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: foreign weapon skills ?SCIENCE?  (Read 1597 times)

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
foreign weapon skills ?SCIENCE?
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »

Does anyone know if dorfs level up foreign weapon skills? I am a newblord building a military and I'd greatly appreciate the knowledge if it's available.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: foreign weapon skills ?SCIENCE?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:23:20 pm »

Give a dwarf a whip, and they will get good at it like any other weapon given time and practice.
This is a blank sig.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »

Give a dwarf a whip, and they will get good at it like any other weapon given time and practice.

Thank ya for the reply sir.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:59:00 pm »

Same goes for daggers, which are awesome (not scourge=lightsaber awesome, but still pretty damn good)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »

I'm thinking about a lasher squad now.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:46:08 pm »

I'm thinking about a lasher squad now.
Aye mate, that idea sounds like a fine one to me as well.
Im thinking of converting my 10-Dwarf Furnace Squad into a Lasher Squad, so that in civilian mode they'll stay the same color.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »

Every weapon has a skill associated with it that trains with use. I may be mistaken, but I think it's even possible to add skills through the entity raws and associate weapons to those skills? Maybe not. You can at least associate modded-in weapons to existing weapon skills.

Literally the only issue I've seen with this is that some of the skills (I know "Knife User," not sure about other non-native weapons) won't display correctly in the Military screen when looking for potential soldiers. More specifically, if a position is assigned to use a dagger or other knife, and the dwarf has no Knife skills, the readout will show that they are "Not skilled," as opposed to "Not Axedwarf," "Not Speardwarf," etc.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:07 am »

In my longest running and most blated fortress I had a squads of almost every foreign weapon available. Sadly I couldn't get enough blowguns and darts to get a squad together.
I'll have to try to farm an underground civilization for their weaponry in a future fort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »

Does anyone know if dorfs level up foreign weapon skills? I am a newblord building a military and I'd greatly appreciate the knowledge if it's available.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They learn alright.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:09 pm »

Every weapon has a skill associated with it that trains with use. I may be mistaken, but I think it's even possible to add skills through the entity raws and associate weapons to those skills?
No. Just those skills. You can associate weapon(and creature) attacks to non-military skills. By default, this is how picks use the Mining skill as a weapon skill.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 03:36:12 am »

Can anyone tell me why some of my lasherdwarves became legendary lashers after 2-3 goblin kills?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:49:15 am by 0cu »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:21:23 am »

Can anyone tell me why some of my lasherdwarves became legendary lashers after 2-3 goblin kills?

What was their skill level before the fight? Also, was the fight just few hits or were dozens of attacks involved?
The skill level raises per use, not per kill. That's why lots of people use arena and equip their dwarves with crappy weapons to maximize the amount of hits they must make before the target dies.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:24:53 am »

What was their skill level before the fight? Also, was the fight just few hits or were dozens of attacks involved?
The skill level raises per use, not per kill. That's why lots of people use arena and equip their dwarves with crappy weapons to maximize the amount of hits they must make before the target dies.

Plus lashers tend to cripple things, not kill them. So each target would get a lot of hits and suffer pain enough to fall over and pass out long before they bleeds out or is skullbroken.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:07 am »

They had no skill at lashing at all. I have a pitfall trap and released my mace- and lasherdwarves (each squad has 10 squaddies) on those surviving gobbos. Some dwarves were killed, but I managed to get 3 legendary lashers. How come? The battle didn't last long and there was no big increase in skill for the macedwarves.

This basically means that whips and scourges attack like a machinegun.