Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to make uncaring dwarves for a military/sparta-esq fort  (Read 381 times)

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to make uncaring dwarves for a military/sparta-esq fort
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Hello,

I've got an idea for a fort that would be rather hard to pull off with the normal nature of dwarves making friends with everyone, and then getting depressed when one of those friends dies.

I'm looking to limit that behavior as much as possible. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a long time (got burned out a while ago), and there seem to be vastly more tags in the raws these days than I remember. I've started looking through the wiki, but there is a lot of information, and I was hoping that someone here who is already familiar with the changes would be able to point me in the right direction and answer some questions.

So, questions:

Can I change thoughts at all? I want to make "death of a friend" type thoughts give happiness instead of unhappiness. This would solve my problems quite nicely.

If I can't do that, can I emotionally stunt my dwarves so they don't form friendships in the first place, but otherwise function as normal dwarves?

If I can't do that, can I at least drastically slow down the friendship process so that they are formed extremely slowly?

Thanks for any help you may or may not be able to offer

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to make uncaring dwarves for a military/sparta-esq fort
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »

Well first of all, you should probably remove the bad thoughts for going unclothed (if possible?).
You can't change the death of friends to be a positive thought.

One thing you could do is give dwarves an immortal pet (may cause framerate issues). If you had, say, a flying creature that technically doesn't exist somehow (attacks pass through. there are a few ways to do this, one of them would be making it out of a material doesn't exist) and could be made a pet (and war trainable? Do war animals count as pets for thoughts?), dwarves could be comforted by this thing, and never have to worry about it dying.

To prevent friendships, have a large (or no) meeting area, and keep idlers to a minimum. I'm not sure if making it impossible to learn social skills would help. It might slow things down? (higher skills tend to mean completing an action faster, so maybe this applies to talking?)

Most of this is speculation since I haven't really modded anything in ages.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:48 pm »

Hello,

I've got an idea for a fort that would be rather hard to pull off with the normal nature of dwarves making friends with everyone, and then getting depressed when one of those friends dies.

I'm looking to limit that behavior as much as possible. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a long time (got burned out a while ago), and there seem to be vastly more tags in the raws these days than I remember. I've started looking through the wiki, but there is a lot of information, and I was hoping that someone here who is already familiar with the changes would be able to point me in the right direction and answer some questions.

So, questions:

Can I change thoughts at all? I want to make "death of a friend" type thoughts give happiness instead of unhappiness. This would solve my problems quite nicely.

If I can't do that, can I emotionally stunt my dwarves so they don't form friendships in the first place, but otherwise function as normal dwarves?

If I can't do that, can I at least drastically slow down the friendship process so that they are formed extremely slowly?

Thanks for any help you may or may not be able to offer
I've hear that [NOEMOTION] makes dwarves unable to go below Content which would greatly fix your issue (also unable to be Enraged). Or you could mess with the general dwarven personality to be less GREGARIOUSNESS and less FRIENDLINESS. The first should work though so no need to mess with that (as they'd still have family).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Ahha! I kept searching the raws for NO_EMOTION and wasn't finding it, so I thought it had been removed/replaced with something.

I'll give [NOEMOTION] a shot, thank you. Content or happier dwarves that can't go berserk sound perfect for my purposes.