Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No friends for warriors! Why?  (Read 1692 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No friends for warriors! Why?
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »

Hi talks!
I've started a DF after a loooong no-playing time (didn't actually use df2012 more than couple test times with adv).
I have a 5yrs fort with ~100 dorfs now, and ~15 army guys.
They train for 3/4 a year, and have a rest for 3 month.
But they do not get any friends in that time!
They just stand in barracks while resting.
Why? I feel sad for that guys.. They are protecting the fort, killing all that metal providers, hippies and strange long guys and still no friends for them.
They should be heroes at all parties, they should have wives, they should live like a dream, but they do not.
Why? Is it some kind of bug? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: No friends for warriors! Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:21:20 pm »

To make friends, they have to be social and thusly off-duty, which means they can't do their job and make friends at same time. It's been that way since before I started with 40d. It's also better for practical purpose, if they dies, their friends would get sad, possibly enough to start punching other dwarves' brain in.

If you feels that badly, you could bother the crafters and see what statues or decoration they can crack out of them and put it in the meeting areas.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:26:21 pm »

Think of Toady. Half of us practically worship him, he's working almost all the time. Now even if we throw a party in his honor, does that mean he'll come?

Gameplay wise, you could try only enlisting dwarves after they're married. The only thing that matters for love seems to be personality (and age?), fame and skill seem irrelevant from what I've seen.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »

Have a look at their jobs while they're off-duty. They aren't just standing around resting, they're actually training individually if they have nothing better to do.
If you want them to socialize a lot, you'll have to remove them from their squads.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

O.k.
But that's bad (not gameplay-bad, but realism-bad) thing, that they do not make friends with squadmates.
Well they've been together for some years now, killing this and that, training each other etc etc and no friends? :(
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

Dwarf fortress is really kinda in relationships.
You're automatically happy talking to your family. Other than that, you're either talking to a friend, someone you dislike, or someone you don't know.

Another thing is that in dwarf fortress, dwarves rarely save each other's lives or help each other in fights (other than both deciding to attack the same targets). There's no bond after spending hours training to fight perfectly alongside your fellow speardwarves in formation or anything, soldiers just mindlessly charge in and attack as individuals.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »

Outside of it being pretty much lack of capacity for dwarves to multi-task, the DF AI isn't really capable/aware enough to help each other properly or be aware of things.

It helps my immension, though, the elite legends that's above those that they protects :D

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »

If you delete their barracks, they'll hang out with the other dwarfs instead of in their barracks when they're idle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »

O.k.
But that's bad (not gameplay-bad, but realism-bad) thing, that they do not make friends with squadmates.
Well they've been together for some years now, killing this and that, training each other etc etc and no friends? :(
Killing things with other Dwarves do not make you friends. You are mistaken. Working with someone does not make you their friend, being their friend does. And when you do nothing but work, you have no time to be friends.
Having friends can cost a Dwarf their life. When you work in the Dwarven military - or worse, in the Fortress guard, these relationships can cost you your life or even your sanity. When your friend is being gnawed to death by a Troglodyte horde and a Forgotten Beast lays waste to your comrades whilst goblins and worse descend from the shadows, you cannot afford to be troubled by empathy.

You can only rely on your axe, your skill and your teeth.
That is the price of being a "hero."

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:50:18 pm »

O.k.
Killing things with other Dwarves do not make you friends. You are mistaken. Working with someone does not make you their friend, being their friend does. And when you do nothing but work, you have no time to be friends.
Having friends can cost a Dwarf their life. When you work in the Dwarven military - or worse, in the Fortress guard, these relationships can cost you your life or even your sanity. When your friend is being gnawed to death by a Troglodyte horde and a Forgotten Beast lays waste to your comrades whilst goblins and worse descend from the shadows, you cannot afford to be troubled by empathy.

You can only rely on your axe, your skill and your teeth.
That is the price of being a "hero."

At least you don't sacrifice your ability to do menial tasks such as hauling anymore. Now that would be terrible.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

Friends aren't always a good thing for warriors to have, since if one dies, their loved ones all take a massive negative thought (and more if they can't be buried right away and start rotting or haunting people).

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:55 pm »

What making the dinning hall and barracks the same room? Sparring over the dinner tables, drunken brawls and revelry for everyone!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 11:34:11 pm »

What'd be awesome is to see a realistic military style of psychology. Where one would become close with those he works/trains with on a regular basis. Where if a dwarf sees 3/4 of the military getting absolutely destroyed by the enemy army, his morale drops, and he fights less effectively.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:47 pm »

What'd be awesome is to see a realistic military style of psychology. Where one would become close with those he works/trains with on a regular basis.
Not much different from normal psychology. Has more to do with uniforms and what not, everyone being in one clique whilst everyone else is an outsider. Which for Dwarves, just isn't a thing. They're all one. These guys even bury enemy Dwarves. This is realistic.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 12:48:49 am »

That is pretty strange, I always have warriors who are friends with the rest of the squad and an odd child. Usually marriages are in-squad too. Maybe they just cannot relate to others less inured to violence. Dwarf children are by default inured to violence.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2