Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The old question about lost limbs (Aka: limbs regeneration)  (Read 1321 times)

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The old question about lost limbs (Aka: limbs regeneration)
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »

So, I've had a idea to make a creature be capable of regaining limbs... However, I don't know if this idea will, or should, work... It is based on the fact that "werepersons" regain all limbs when they change forms.
So, my idea is to make a creature which can naturally change in a cocoon-like form, and then emerge a pretty butterfly with all limbs back, however, I don't know how one could code it, especially in a way that can be used in fortress mode.

Any idea?
    SHE KILLED HER DAUGHTER AND TURNED HER INTO A PICK. A GODDAMN PICK. WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
BLASPHEMY! THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGHT BABY FOR EVERYONE!

Beenoc

• Bay Watcher
  • To live, one must first be born.
    • View Profile
Re: The old question about lost limbs (Aka: limbs regeneration)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:34:39 pm »

I have no idea, honestly, but I think (keyword: think) that you can just make it transform into itself every so often, which would regen lost limbs. I have no idea how you would code it, though.
This is a dwarf. It is decorated with dwarfiness and menaces with spikes of Brit. Engraved on the dwarf is an image of a dwarf digging a hole. This relates to the digging of a hole by Honeydew the dwarf in 2011.

I was the deceased vessel through which dark magick was done and Necrothreat III was created from the ruins of my old forum posts: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118805.0

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:35:03 pm »

Have the creature transform via interaction into an exact copy of themeslves and they regenerate. Or have them transform into ANYTHING for 1 frame and then have the interaction wear out the next and they'll transform back into their normal form completely intact.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »

So, I've had a idea to make a creature be capable of regaining limbs... However, I don't know if this idea will, or should, work... It is based on the fact that "werepersons" regain all limbs when they change forms.
So, my idea is to make a creature which can naturally change in a cocoon-like form, and then emerge a pretty butterfly with all limbs back, however, I don't know how one could code it, especially in a way that can be used in fortress mode.

Any idea?
Make a body for the Cocoon, then make it a creature and have your main creature able to transform into it for a set period of time. This was actually what I was going to do for master vampires, but at the time I just couldn't figure it out.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:15:59 pm »

and then make the cocoons transform into your creature the same way?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »

Have the creature transform via interaction into an exact copy of themeslves and they regenerate. Or have them transform into ANYTHING for 1 frame and then have the interaction wear out the next and they'll transform back into their normal form completely intact.
Point is, I don't want to just make a "cure all wounds instantly" interaction, for one, I don't want for it to render medical service completely useless, for two, I DON'T want to make it so you can use it mid-fight and just cheat death again and again, and for three, I want to make it make some (biological) sense, other than "IT IS MAGIC!"

Any idea?
Make a body for the Cocoon, then make it a creature and have your main creature able to transform into it for a set period of time. This was actually what I was going to do for master vampires, but at the time I just couldn't figure it out.

That actually sounds a pretty good idea, however, a question arise with it: How to trigger it on fortress mode (of course we consider you are playing AS this creature) on a specific creature? That is, without any kind of gimmick like "Expose it to x element" or "Make it happen during the full moon" and etc.

and then make the cocoons transform into your creature the same way?
If a transformation is timed so, the cocoon reverts to the original creature without any need for the cocoon to have the ability to become the said creature in the first place.
That is how werebeasts works.
    SHE KILLED HER DAUGHTER AND TURNED HER INTO A PICK. A GODDAMN PICK. WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:44:58 pm »

That actually sounds a pretty good idea, however, a question arise with it: How to trigger it on fortress mode (of course we consider you are playing AS this creature) on a specific creature? That is, without any kind of gimmick like "Expose it to x element" or "Make it happen during the full moon" and etc.
Why not try using [CDI:USAGE_HINT:FLEEING] or [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF]. With fleeing they'll often die before deciding to use it, but it'll happen sometimes, and with clean_self they'll do it if they get dirty (ie covered in dust, mud, blood, etc) you often get covered with blood when a limb is lopped off but they'd transform extremely often even when not harmed.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

Why not try using [CDI:USAGE_HINT:FLEEING] or [CDI:USAGE_HINT:CLEAN_SELF]. With fleeing they'll often die before deciding to use it, but it'll happen sometimes, and with clean_self they'll do it if they get dirty (ie covered in dust, mud, blood, etc) you often get covered with blood when a limb is lopped off but they'd transform extremely often even when not harmed.
For one side, I don't normally consider that turning into a vulnerable cocoon when things go very badly in a fight is a "smart" idea... However, for the other side, except for the fact they will turn into cocoons if they get covered with ALMOST ANYTHING (save for water or other things), the CLEAN_SELF seems a good option... Still, nice trick with these CDI:USAGE_HINT tokens, haven't thought (or knew) about that, do you know any other of these, ANY other? (maybe, just maybe one happens to fit).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17:00 pm »

For one side, I don't normally consider that turning into a vulnerable cocoon when things go very badly in a fight is a "smart" idea... However, for the other side, except for the fact they will turn into cocoons if they get covered with ALMOST ANYTHING (save for water or other things), the CLEAN_SELF seems a good option... Still, nice trick with these CDI:USAGE_HINT tokens, haven't thought (or knew) about that, do you know any other of these, ANY other? (maybe, just maybe one happens to fit).
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Interaction_token
Not too many ways to use the usage hint, I don't see other useful ways

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Interaction_token
Not too many ways to use the usage hint, I don't see other useful ways
It seems that "usage hint" token don't help as much as I thought it would, however, it seems that the LACK of it can be of use!
"[...] Indicates when and how CPU-controlled creatures will use the interaction. If no hint is specified, the interaction will be used whenever a valid target is available."
So, leaving it without a hint, and putting a large number at "wait period" token allows for it to be activated every so and often, making it a seasonal thing, like the (RL) crab's molting... Problem is... It may happen in the middle of a fight, or, just when the creature has been told to GET THE F*CK OUT OF THE MAGMA CHANNEL...

I think I need more help with more options... And I need alcohol to get through the working day my ideas working better.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 11:10:34 pm »

Point is, I don't want to just make a "cure all wounds instantly" interaction, for one, I don't want for it to render medical service completely useless, for two, I DON'T want to make it so you can use it mid-fight and just cheat death again and again, and for three, I want to make it make some (biological) sense, other than "IT IS MAGIC!"
For timing you can always have the interaction add a harmless syndrome that gives a SYN_CLASS and then make it so that the interaction can't target creatures with that SYN_CLASS. Therefore adding a "cool down" between potential casts on the same creature.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:18 am »

Or just make it only useable every X weeks/time units/whatever you want to describe it as.

I'd make the cocoon immobile and vulnerable, and have the transformation last a notable period of time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 06:39:41 pm »

Okay, my advancement so far:

I can make a interaction that can be activated every so and often, which provokes a self-inflicted syndrome, that turns the creature into a immobile and vulnerable (also blind, weak, and etc.) cocoon for a set time, in turn, when the creature is back to it's original form, it haves all limbs back.

However, for these creatures while in fortress mode, it can happen ANYWHERE, it may be in the middle of a fight, in the middle of the newly made lava channel and other stupid places to make your seasonal "Cocooning"...

I want to force them to do it in a supposedly safe place... So, it came it to my mind: "Beds are used in dormitories, personal bedrooms and in infirmaries, which in theory (apart from unfortunate accidents) are pretty safe... if I could link the interaction to beds..."

So, question time: Can interactions, somehow, be coded so the creature will seek a certain building to, then, use said interaction? Or something close to that?
And if yes, how?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:58:44 pm »

You can't have the dwarves seek out beds like you wish, but you can do similarly. You could have a workshop that produces a boiling rock, that inflicts a syndrome that either temporarily transforms the creature on the spot, or temporarily enables vulnerability to the interaction, allowing them to cast it on themselves. You could then name this workshop appropriately as some kind of hibernation chamber or whatever and it'd not be immersion breaking.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

Or you could give them an interaction hint of GREETING.
I'm pretty sure dwarves in combat don't stop to chat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.