Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pottery vs. Glassmaking  (Read 4838 times)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pottery vs. Glassmaking
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:32:11 am »

I like to have at least one of these for exports in my forts. Whicj do you guys like and / or prefer?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Pottery vs. Glassmaking
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

I prefer glass, smoother feels and shinier. In DF? Glassmaking allows more variety in what you can put out, even glass gems, though clay carbodharr (gah, how's that word spelt for what the stone's been cut in jewelry shop? ) works too.

Glass also need more infrastructure, with bags :D

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:38:45 am »

Glass gives you magma-safe mechanical parts.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

If you have fireclay, it's the way to go.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

iampaul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:14 am »

Never used clay myself, but glass is a great way to get infinite trap components and trade goods.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »

I like both, but in a place with low wood, go for clay (wood for pearlash and clear glass, not for charcoal). I never start with one of my 7 with this skills, so i wait for a good potter or glassmaker (or a novice one get a mod) imigrant to start one of this industries.

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

Yeah, I have thought about glass because it is very fuel intensive and wood intensive. However it is worth write a but more than regular clay. If I have kaolinite in the map (or from my civ) I really like porcelain :)

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »

Given the choice, I go for glass, because you can make green glass magma safe pumps pretty easily.  I also like glass windows.  I put my front-most sentry animals behind glass windows with fortifications in front of the windows. 

OTOH, clay doesn't require bags, so it's a little easier and quicker.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

Clay is better than glass because you don't need any bags

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 03:05:35 pm »

Clay is better than glass because you don't need any bags

You can't work with  magma using purely clay. There are no pipe sections or corkscrews made out of clay.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »

Not even stoneware?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 04:09:53 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Kiln

I don't think clay is even magma-safe, except for kaolinite. Green glass' magma-safe, and there're block, tube ( glass version of pipe ) and corkscrew, kiln can only make brick, so you need to make the pipe and corkscrew elsewhere. And you need to glaze the basic clay pots before it can be used to store booze, I think fireclay and kaolinite don't have that problem.

In term of industrial flexiblity, glass trumps clay, but both are pretty flexible for making living space stuffs, with clay having edge in value and ease of collection, 3 material value vs 2 for green glass, or 4 value if you manage to get fireclay for no extra effort.

It's pretty much matter of preference, pure simplicity would point to pottery industry, since you just need one firesafe brick and either magma source or plentiful fuel to run it, while industrial flexiblity would point to glassmaking, for ability to make menacing spikes and pipes, and needing a start-up industry for bag, or importing it.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

Given the choice, I go for glass, because you can make green glass magma safe pumps pretty easily.  I also like glass windows.  I put my front-most sentry animals behind glass windows with fortifications in front of the windows. 

you can do that with clay too (unless it got changed in the newest version).

Cut clay counts as a cut gem. Therefore you can make a gem-window out of clay and they will be transparent. Dont ask how it works. Its secret dorfcraft!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »

I've never managed to get a clay product industry up and running, but having to glaze pots before i'm able to use them bothers me.

I stick with glass, because I can make way more stuff with it, including magma safe products. I almost never make clear glass, so i'm not as worried about wood being rare.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »

Fire clay or kaolinite are ok for pots.  But glass can make almost everything.  Furniture, doors, trap components.  Plus magma safe.  It's magic! 
Pages: [1] 2