Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pottery vs. Glassmaking  (Read 4840 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pottery vs. Glassmaking
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »

Once a good supply of bags in on hand I prefer glassmaking.  But clay is pretty good once you get magma kilns up for making bricks for construction work.  And if you have spare wood for ash you can glaze pots if fireclay or kaolinite are not available.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:40 am »

I like adobe. Pottery FTW. No bags!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 01:01:40 am »

big fan of glass, only drawback is the need for bags. but then again, you pretty much need a clothing industry these days anyways, and it's not hard to get that to the point of producing excess.

also, i've never been on an embark that didn't have lots and lots of sand tiles (though so far, i've avoided actual mountains). i've seen plenty of embarks that either didn't have fire clay/kaolinite, or at the very least not accessible, though.

plus, sand at embark is super cheap and comes with a free bag to carry it in. it's the gift that keeps on giving!

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 03:15:03 am »

I prefer clay if there's a load of kaolinite around just because porcelain sounds way more classy than green glass

but, it's hard to argue with dem 3000+ dorfbux green glass large serrated discs

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:11 am »

Hello!

I have to admit that I have not dwelled deeply into the clay industry yet. However, I like to give surface living quarters and buildings in underground cities glass windows, so glass is a necessity for me in my designs. Having internal glass doors in the main dining room is also something I like to do occasionally :) :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:57 pm »

I hardly ever use pottery for anything. It is too close to regular stone, while anything made from glass is exponentially more fanciful.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

I prefer glass.

All green glass needs is sand and magma, and then you can put infinite amounts out. Glass makes a variety of stuff - tubes, cages, trap components, windows, gem-likes, blocks... pretty much anything aside from bins and beds and barrels.

I usually take like fifty bags of sand at embark, one point per bag - and once I get the furnaces running at the magma sea level, the bags free up and all of the sudden I have like fifty bags to be filled again. Even if I didn't do that, getting a few bins of cloth or leather off a caravan to make own bags isn't all that hard either.

Green glass cockscrews are usable as magma pump components AND you can put them in weapon traps where they do just fine.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Che kaui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:20 am »

Glass, man. Green glass is cheap and easy. It makes Trap components and it's magma safe. I like to litter my forts with Green glass statues and trade/use giant serrated green glass discs. If sand is available to gather, I feel like I am almost exploiting a bug. If you could make glass beds, glass would be an absolute staple. On the other hand, I've never even attempted to do anything with clay, so I suppose my opinion is a bit ignorant and biased when it comes to comparing the two. Clay just always seemed like a waste of time when I had stone, glass, various metals, and wood at my disposal.

Also, this is my first post! Hello Bay Twelve!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:39:35 am by Che kaui »
Life is great. Without it, you'd be dead.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:10 am »

Not even stoneware?
One could make an argument for Earthenware to be magma-safe, but Stoneware I think wouldn't be.  Stoneware doesn't need glazing because it glazes itself by partially melting in the kiln.  Earthenware simply has the clay particles sinter together.

Then again given that glass is magma-safe even though it completely liquefies in a kiln, there's no reason stoneware or clay of any type shouldn't be magma-safe.

I guess dwarven glass is just magic?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:47 am »

MAGIC!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 06:03:32 am »

Not even stoneware?
One could make an argument for Earthenware to be magma-safe, but Stoneware I think wouldn't be.  Stoneware doesn't need glazing because it glazes itself by partially melting in the kiln.  Earthenware simply has the clay particles sinter together.

Then again given that glass is magma-safe even though it completely liquefies in a kiln, there's no reason stoneware or clay of any type shouldn't be magma-safe.

I guess dwarven glass is just magic?

Pretty sure earthenware breaks down at those kind of heat, since fireclay used to make stonewares are also used in high temperature environment like furnaces IRL.

And glass from raw quartz-based material ( silicon dioxide ) does have somewhat high temperature where it starts to turn into liquid. Magma smelters shouldn't be able to make steel directly and properly refine nearly pure quartz glass, on their own with temperature given to it in DF. It's usable for forging though :D

Glasses seems to be pretty much a placeholder when it come to raw values, so yeah.
Pages: 1 [2]