Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making combat more real, and more 1400's  (Read 2490 times)

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
Making combat more real, and more 1400's
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:51:23 am »

This idea occurred to me when I was trying out some modded swords in the object testing arena. I noticed that if you pit two fully steel-clad dwarves with equal skills and equipment against each other, they will simply do "the fightey dance" for a while until one of them gains enough skill to be able to cut the other. Then, much later, the one who was cut will bleed to death. So, I thought the answer to this peculiar problem (if it even is a problem) might be halfswording (where a fighter grabs the blade of their sword with their second hand in order to gain more control, and stab into gaps in armour). This, of course, would make the shield and sword/axe/hammer/etc. less powerful and put more emphasis on two-handed swords and shorter polearms, such as the poleaxe. This would also mean that weapons would have to be able to do a sort of wrestling to allow for trapping your opponent's blade in your quillions and disarming them. Another thing that might counter this is having hammers do more actual damage to armour, or having the ability to remove a stunned opponent's helmet and stab them with a dagger. This isn't really much of a problem at the moment, though, seeing that you rarely get equally-skilled or even fully-armoured soldiers. Also, it would be hard to apply this to dwarves seeing that they have no two-handed weapons, and are usually based on the Norse who primarily used shields and a single-handed weapon.

The other thing I noticed is that, even when your opponent is holding their shield in their left hand, you can still attack, and cut their left hand, despite the fact that it would be impossible in a real fight. What I think would be interesting is if where the shield is would change the "easy strike/tricky strike/impossible strike" thingey. This could also lend itself to having various "guards" implemented that would change the hypothetical location of the shield and/or weapon eg. "high guard" and "low guard", or for two-handed swords, "ox-guard" and "plough-guard" etc.

Also, it will be nice when Toady One implements attacks hitting two body parts in one stroke. That would hopefully lessen the amount of "The swordsdwarf attack the goblin axeman in the first toe on his left foot!"

These are just some things that I think might make an already-brilliant combat-system better. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Making combat more real, and more 1400's
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:26:33 am »

As a historical martial arts practitioner I wholeheartedly approve of alternate methods of weapon utilization. Unfortunately it probably won't happen in the next release, but it is definitely on the list, and may be coming sooner than you'd imagine with Toady gutting and rewriting the combat code. Combat is going to undergo some heavy changes in the next year, I think, and we may very well be able to target gaps in armor and use skill and tactics to get around equipment deficiencies. As fun as the current system is, I'd like it to be even more tactical.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »

The Martial art Rewrite will probably be one of the weirder updates to the game.

Armok 1 had the most fantastical martial arts in history.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »

Do tell.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »

Do tell.

In Armok 1 the martial arts, if you were bad at it, would come up with dreadful moves

Basically you can stand on any bodypart and attack with any bodypart.

At least that is what I was told.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »

Do tell.
In Armok 1 the martial arts, if you were bad at it, would come up with dreadful moves

Basically you can stand on any bodypart and attack with any bodypart.

At least that is what I was told.
That.
Is.
Awesome.

Wait, stand on any of your body parts or any of your opponent's?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:41:35 am »

Any of your body parts. You could have a fighting stance that had your big toes and the neck on the ground but not the head, torso or arms. Granted, it didn't have much in the way of game effects, but the model would change to update it and best respond to your demands. It was utterly hilarious.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:08 pm »

THAT IS INSANE.
AND AWESOME, IN A WAY.
Sig

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 02:47:50 pm »

Also, it will be nice when Toady One implements attacks hitting two body parts in one stroke. That would hopefully lessen the amount of "The swordsdwarf attack the goblin axeman in the first toe on his left foot!"

I think this does happen to some degree already. If you hack someone in the toe, you'll usually hit their whole foot; if you punch someone in the mouth, all their teeth go flying. The exception is if you attack with something with low contact area; you really can stab someone's toe off with a spear, though it's maybe too easy right now.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 02:50:42 pm »

I think this does happen to some degree already. If you hack someone in the toe, you'll usually hit their whole foot; if you punch someone in the mouth, all their teeth go flying. The exception is if you attack with something with low contact area; you really can stab someone's toe off with a spear, though it's maybe too easy right now.

I've had dwarves occasionally shoot a bolt that somehow manage to hit multiple internal organs, even as far apart as liver and heart. It is pretty much oversimplified physics doing it though :D

It was worse back in 40d when you could bolt someone in the legs and somehow hit their ear too, IIRC.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »

Or hit both their ears, without damaging anything else.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:51 pm »

I've had dwarves occasionally shoot a bolt that somehow manage to hit multiple internal organs, even as far apart as liver and heart. It is pretty much oversimplified physics doing it though :D

It was worse back in 40d when you could bolt someone in the legs and somehow hit their ear too, IIRC.
That's because organs are all considered a jumbled mass inside the body that you have a chance of hitting.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »

Or hit both their ears, without damaging anything else.
That was pretty realistic, if it's dwarves being hit.
Ha ha. Everyone loves making fun of dwarves.

That's because organs are all considered a jumbled mass inside the body that you have a chance of hitting.
Again, oversimplification.
Sig