Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting back into Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1888 times)

Mamad_Hunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting back into Dwarf Fortress
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:45 am »

i've played shittons of DF when I found out about it 2 years ago but have stopped playing around version 31.10ish
thinking about getting back into it and im just wondering if there's any significant changes in DF2012 compared to DF2010 (mainly fortress mode changes)

Meanwhile, i'm just going to start a fortress again and and watch my dwarves die painfully from godknowswhat while i wait for a reply @_@

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:30 am »

Minecarts, wheelbarrow, stockpiles can be assigned to workshops and no longer is limited to one links.

I'm not sure what else's changed, there're egg-laying animals but I can't remember which version introduced it. Most likely sometimes after 31.18 I was playing.

34.11 also stop dwarves from pathing somewhere too hot, and I think, a bug where deconstructing things makes stuff flip over, but I'm not playing it. Still in 34.09 myself.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:51 am »

Vampires, werebeasts, necromancers, evil biomes are really evil, zombies and skeletons were redone, tons of new animals, improved animal taming, dwarfs claim new clothes, dwarfs build walls the right way, dwarfs collect multiple objects in one job, traps block wagon access, rivers have ramps, hospitals and military work pretty well, and depending on when you stopped playing, there is clay, beekeeping, stone pots that work like barrels, and you can farm on soil without mud.

And adventure mode is way more fleshed out (huge cities with temples, tombs, dungeons and sewers). Have Fun.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:01:13 am by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »

There's a lot fewer bugs than in 31.10. Military, healthcare. . . Definitely the features introduced in 31.01 work better now.

Mamad_Hunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »

less buggy healthcare is definitely a welcome change @_@
i've been reading through the wiki while starting a fortress to see if i still got the basic down (still figuring out how minecarts works)
so far i managed to build a stable fortress unitl an eight-legged elephant FB showed up and started kicking skulls into brains while spewing poison gas...
watching that happen was the most fun i ever had in a while @_@

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »

:D
Welcome back!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:59:53 pm »

Multi Level Designations. 

Toady's Multi z-level area reclaims, and dumps, saved my marriage.  FC2FCc, and FC2FCd(far corner to far corner r-reclaim/d-dump). I've now started shortcutting the uppermost level, and lowermost level, just to do a DFhack Clean All, followed by a FC2FCr.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »

This might help:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:42:46 pm by Zwerg »

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 10:20:28 pm »

wow, i had the same question.  i remember reading about the minecarts and new stockpiling and that was really a big part of why i haven't come back... DF was hard enough to interact with, it seems like it just keeps getting crazier with every rev...

Mamad_Hunter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:31 am »

wow, i had the same question.  i remember reading about the minecarts and new stockpiling and that was really a big part of why i haven't come back... DF was hard enough to interact with, it seems like it just keeps getting crazier with every rev...
i haven't even touched minecarts personally (need to read up some more) and i didn't notice a big change in stockpiling ( im prolly just doing something wrong ._. )
but i have to say the fixes to healthcare and military is the best
managed to set up a working squad, sent them to fight a small goblin ambush and my surgeon actually did his job and tend the wounds the soldiers got afterwards... it was magical to watch @_@

and yeah, loving the multi-level designation @_@d

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:43 am »

I've not used minecarts except for quantum dumping and a couple experiments. It's not really necessary :D

Hauling change is a bit annoying, but now you need less space to store same amount of stuff, haha.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 10:26:18 am »

I've not used minecarts except for quantum dumping and a couple experiments. It's not really necessary :D

Hauling change is a bit annoying, but now you need less space to store same amount of stuff, haha.
In case the hauling change is a bit distracting/tedious, you can always establish this to make things feel a bit more classic. It works as well as I described it. It may cost a bit of wood (or cheap enough building material that can produce them) to produce it all, however; but you get your dorfbucks-worth, and it makes fortress life that much easier to deal with.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:27:59 am by Itnetlolor »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

@Itnetlolor, How do you get those haulers to stack the stone ontop of one another, in that video, after taking it from the Depot stockpile?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:46 pm »

@Itnetlolor, How do you get those haulers to stack the stone ontop of one another, in that video, after taking it from the Depot stockpile?

It's a minecart dumper. You don't need stockpile right next to the route stop, I've accidentally hooked up a dumper to another stockpile on other side of fort before :D

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »

that minecart dumper is pretty sweet.

Any idea what happened to quickfort?  I used to have some nice forts that I built in excel... it doesn't seem to work correctly with xlsx files any more...
Pages: [1] 2