Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Everyone is John: Round 1 is Back!  (Read 9397 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Everyone is John: Round 1 is Back!
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »

Hello Bay12. I have just played an amazing game called Everyone is John, and I think that it's unique blend of craziness would fit in well here. For reference, the last game I was in (as the GM) ended up with a totally naked John being shot by police after barrel-rolling out of cover. Oh, and that was all after terrorizing a suburban neighbourhood, wrestling with a welded-shut belt buckle, avoiding an angry mob and crashing through several store windows.  As I've said before, I think that you all will take a liking to it. Without further ado, here are the rules of the game.

Rules:

John

Who is John? Why, everybody is John! Ha ha ha. Actually, John is your fairly typical person. John is pretty much whatever you want him to be, so long as its male, human and incompetent. You see, while John is quite average, he's also a total klutz and even the simplest of tasks can be difficult for John. Whenever John attempts an action, he rolls a 1d6. If he's is skilled in that task then John succeeds at a 3+, otherwise he needs to roll a 6 (or higher!) to accomplish the task. Unfortunately John doesn't know any skills, nor can he learn any skills during the game either (He's a slow learner).

The Voices

The Voices are the players of the game, AKA you guys. For whatever reason, at the very beginning of the game John begins to hear voices. Very persuasive voices that can get him to do almost anything...

A Voice is divided into three parts: Willpower Obsession and Skills.

Willpower: Willpower is a pool of points that the Voices can draw upon for a couple of different uses. The maximum amount of Willpower that a Voice has is dependant on how many skills they have.

Obsession: Each Voice has one Obsession, ranked from level 1 to level 3. Obsessions are always actions that John can do, and cannot be changed after the beginning of the game. Whenever John does the obsession a Voice, that player gains points equal to the level of the Obsession. Obviously the goal is to have as many points as possible before... the end of the game.  The level of an Obsession is based on its complexity. The greater the complexity, the higher level it is.

Examples:

Level 1: Eating, touching people's cheeks, doing barrel rolls, yelling in public, anything else that can be accomplished with a roll.

Level 2: Scaring people, public exposure, throwing baseballs at people, anything else that requires planning or at least 2 rolls.

Level 3: Murder, crashing cars through windows, playing golf, anything else that requires a lot of preparation and at least 3 rolls.

Skills: Each Voice starts with either 2 or 3 skills. However, starting with 3 skills reduces the maximum Willpower of that Voice to 7. Whenever a Voice controls John, John has that Voice's skills, meaning that any actions based on that skill succeed on a 3+ instead of a 6+. Additionally a Voice may spend Willpower to increase the roll of the dice by +1 for each point spent, which can make John autosucceed at his action.

Control of John

At the very beginning of the game, and at any other time when John is not being controlled, the Voices may bid Willpower to gain control of John. Obviously the person with the highest bid gains control of John, while all the other Voices gain +1 Willpower for losing (note that losing bids are returned to their player).

A Voice in control of John can make him do pretty much whatever. They can make him punch people, dance, perform karate, crossdress, whatever. However John is still a klutz, and if he fails at an action then the Voice loses control of John, opening up another round of bidding.

Ending the Game

The game pretty much ends when John kicks the bucket, or is so incapacitated that he might as well be dead. After that the points gained from Obsessions are tallied, and whoever has the largest amount is declared the winner.

Miscellaneous

If you want to join in on this game, then PM me your character sheet. The obsessions should be a secret, so posting it on the thread makes no sense what-so-ever.

While the player currently controlling John is the only one who can dictate his actions, the other players can talk to John to find out what he can see (and thus plan ahead) or just to mess with him. To help avoid confusion, differentiate your communications with John somehow. Either make them bold like this or change the colour or Something.

If you don't know exactly what to do, then you can make John wait, which will tick time forward a little and hopefully bring something interesting into view.

If you take too long to respond, then John will probably wander off and do something on his own (though nothing that requires an action roll). Note that other people get to do things too, so waiting too long could get John killed by the police. Additionally, if you take too long to respond (say, 3 days) then you'l automatically lose control of John and bidding will be opened to everybody else. If you know that you will be away/absent while you have control of John, make sure to tell me so that we can sort something out.

While John starts off fairly normal, he can quickly descend into madness as everybody makes him do odd and terrible deeds. You'll still have full control of John no matter what his mental state, but he'll definitively start to act weird and attract attention.

John can do some normal actions automatically like walking, running, breathing etc. However these actions aren't always guaranteed to be an autosuccess, especially when John starts to get beaten up. I'd like to see you walk with two broken legs.

That should be everything. If you are at any point ever confused about the rules, either ask me or look them up online. I'm sure that other people have explained them better than me.

For the first round I'll wait for 5 people to PM me their Obsession and Skills before we start. If more people want to join up, then that would be great. Either way, John is going to become a very unhappy man.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:25:07 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John: Round 1 Signups.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:25:10 pm »

Read about this game a long, long time ago, and I've always wanted playing. I'm in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

Two questions: 1) How do we gain more willpower, apart from losing at bets? 2) Does everyone who didn't win a bet get +1 WP or only those people who bet something and lost?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:15:02 pm »

1) You only gain Willpower from losing at bets, though unless somebody manages to chain a bunch of skill rolls together they go by quickly.

2) You don't have to bet to gain Willpower. Everybody gains +1 Willpower after a bet, except for the person who won, of course.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everyone is John: Round 1 Start!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

And we have enough people now, so let's begin.

Well today just so happens to be the county fair, and if there's one thing John can't resist, it's deep-fried hotdogs. Thus he starts to hear things while he's standing in the concession line, waiting for some deep-fried goodness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is John: Round 1 Start!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 03:39:57 pm »

Do we just say how many willpower we want to put in, or do we p.m. it?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »

Post it. Only obsessions are private.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

6 Willpower.

John relax, and just go with it, you have been chosen for a very special purpose just listen to us and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:45:38 pm by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »

Oh sorry 7
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »

Or spoiler it?

A low, growling voice start muttering to John: "So many people standing between you and the hotdogs... You need to get them John, show you who deserve the deep-fried goodness!"

8 Willpower.

It's kinda weird to announce w hat you'll spend though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

It's bidding. It's supposed to work that way for whatever reason.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:46:11 pm »

9 Willpower.
So how are you today?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »

5 Willpower.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »

"Now look, John. You deserve a hotdog way more the these other jackasses. Thus, you must pelt them with spare change"

"What? Why would I do that?"

9 Willpower.

I don't think that anybody is going to bet 10 Willpower, so congratulations! You should probably introduce yourself to John.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »

"Hello John I'm one of the voices in your head and you will listen to me today, so first of all you will, Punch everyone in front of you and get yourself a corn dog NOW!"
So how are you today?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6