Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 501614 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.95b beta) Feather and Flame
« Reply #1395 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:09 am »

Migrants come, despite the danger.

+20 of em show up, just before a dust cloud.  ... Then, ghoul pack bears down upon em.  Surprisingly, 11 of em survived....

(Found out previous fort had no slave traders... so ditched it.  Plus, I got tired of necro sieges pretty quickly...)

The fast roaming ghoul packs really do a number on the traders and the migrants...  made my start pretty hard and annoying too, had to savescum to survive the first season.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:41 am »

Linux vesion seems to be working, but I haven't tested it thoroughly enough. It is quite a big file.

Link for 098c: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71287918/FoE_linux_098c.7z

Older version:

Release notes:

This is an attempt at a Linux version of Fallout: Equestria mod of Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118893

This edition is based on the Linux version of Masterwork Mod. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98196

Executable: I included the patched version from Masterwork Mod. It includes these fixes:
- Destroying a wall empties the wood stockpile.
- Marksdwarves won't use training bolts unless combat bolts all used up.
- Weapon Racks do nothing - The fix-armory plugin and assign-rack script that go with this patch are in the included dfhack.
- "Long patrol duty" thoughts accumulate from all squad orders, including training.
- Hospital zone does not respect cloth maximums.

To run the game type:
$ ./dfhack

Tools included:
1) Dwarf Therapist. I've included Splinterz v19.3 from the Masterwork Mod with all the libraries bundled with it.

2) dfhack 0.34.11 r2 The included version comes from Masterwork Mod and has some additional plugins bundled in, most notably for sorting stuff. There is also stonesense, but it lacks sprites for all the creatures introduced in this mod, including ponies. 

3) Isoworld It lets you see a nice graphical representation of maps exported from DF legends mode. To get them you need to copy your save, abandon and enter the legends mode. 

4) JDwarf It supposedly can change skills, much like Runesmith used to, so it may be useful for testing stuff. It requires java 1.7 to run and refused to cooperate with java 1.6.

5) Quickfort Lets you build things from CSV files. A Windows versios from Masterwork Mod is included, but maybe it works.

6) Soundsense This utility reads the game log and plays sounds according to what happens. You need to download the sound pack for it, which is 200 MB. The sounds are suited for Dwarves, but not really ponies.

Additional testing is required, but for me:
* There is no sound, because I don't have the right version of OpenAL.
* Stonesense refuses to load, but it is picky under Linux. Plus we lack Pony Sprites for it anyway. 

Troubleshooting
** Dwarf Therapist is problematic to run. By default a process cannot read the memory of another process. To work around this you can either:
1) Disable it, but this has the downside that any of your processes, including malware will be able to muck around in other processes memory:
$ echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
Or make it permanent by setting ptrace_scope to 0 in /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
2) Run Dwarf Therapist as root.
3) Install it properly on your system and run DT from your GUI.

At least some of these are needed in addition to g++ and QT.
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libglib2.0-dev libSM-dev libxrender-dev libfontconfig1-dev libxext-dev
$ sudo apt-get install qt4-qmake qt4-dev-tools
$ sudo apt-get install mercurial
$ hg clone https://splintermind@code.google.com/r/splintermind-attributes/ DwarfTherapist

If you have done this before, you can just enter the right directory and type:
$ hg update

To compile:
$ qmake
$ make -j3
$ make clean

Then copy Dwarf_therapist from the "build/release" to the main Dwarf Therapist directory.
Finally, and this should take care of "Unable to connect" problem for you: 

$ sudo make install
After This you should be able to run DT from your GIU without ptoblems. Since in PonyTherapist you already have a pre-compiled version, this is really the only thing you need to do on your system.

4) Use a script that launches DF in the background, similar to this:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
cd $(dirname "$0")/df_linux
./df &

sleep 10
cd ../dwarftherapist/
exec ./bin/release/DwarfTherapist

5) $ setcap "cap_sys_ptrace=ep" DwarfTherapist
This will allow the DwarfTherapist executable to ptrace other processes but will not turn off ptrace protection for the rest of your system.

** The included version is prepared to handle any executable (more precisely the checksum check was cheated to 0x42bfcce6 for Masterwork exec, so if you aren't using it, you might need to copy from "etc/memory_layouts/linux" the file "v034.11m.ini".

** If the game crashes, it probably isn't the fault of the FoE mod as it is very stable under Windows. You can try switching around the executables in libs.

** "whenever I try to build something ("b"), the game just crashes." Set [TRUETYPE:NO] in "data/init/init.txt". Also experiment with PRINT_MODE, ARB_SYNC and VSYNC. Depending on the system, various settings work best here and you might be able to get a minor FPS boost out of it.

EDIT:
I've decided to stick with the patched executable from Masterwork mod and DwarfTherepist 19.3 bundled with all the libraries. This should reduce the file size considerable. I should upload a new file soon and edit the release notes. Is there any feedback for this in the meantime?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:24:14 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 24, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »

Looks good! My own experience with Linux is nonexistent so I won't be able to do much more than put the link up in the front post.

The link will be to your post (For all the troubleshooting info) and as I upload new versions I guess you can replace the raws in the linux file.

Many thanks for this Maklak! :D

> The fast roaming ghoul packs really do a number on the traders and the migrants...  made my start pretty hard and annoying too...
That's fairly reasonable in the evil and savage zones, though with the bulk of the upcoming creatures being evil/savage the ghouls should become somewhat diluted.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:32:13 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:41 pm »

Found something interesting.  Unicorn slaves run wild in the first cavern layer.  I can only assume earthpony ones do as well, but I'm only looking at unicorns in my unit list right now.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »

Found something interesting.  Unicorn slaves run wild in the first cavern layer.  I can only assume earthpony ones do as well, but I'm only looking at unicorns in my unit list right now.

Huh. Actualy, that sounds like a feature to me. Former stableponies? Cavern-dwelling tribals? Excaped slaves living out a brutal existance in the caverns?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »

Tried abusing the pit-a-damn-ghoul-in-a-hole-so-I-can-go-outside-safely trick.  Sent out +40 ponies on a massive deforestation effort.  Forgetfully, I dumped more stuff on top of the ghoul, sending it +10 floors further down in the process.  A pack of ghouls came out up top... and massacred my scavengers, only 21 made it back alive.  A few were turned into ghouls themselves thanks to the clouds. 

Good stuff.  Yet, there is still more fodder for the next catastrophe.  Though... at half the numbers... the effort is slowed significantly...

Also, ghoulified ponies don't seem to be candidates for burial?

Huh. Actualy, that sounds like a feature to me. Former stableponies? Cavern-dwelling tribals? Excaped slaves living out a brutal existance in the caverns?
Obviously, the savages need to be made civilized.  It would not reflect upon us well if we allow them to skulk about like that.

EDIT: Talon Company... they ambush in both Autumn and Winter?  Did not expect to see em around...  only 2 casualties in that incident.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:14:48 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 25, 2013, 03:08:07 am »

@ Pokon I approve of civilizing the strange cutie mark burning tribals.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 25, 2013, 03:35:47 am »

> Looks good! My own experience with Linux is nonexistent so I won't be able to do much more than put the link up in the front post.
> The link will be to your post (For all the troubleshooting info) and as I upload new versions I guess you can replace the raws in the linux file.

Ah, I was afraid, you'd say that. I just wanted to seed your Linux executable, so you can update the RAWs as needed, but fine. I should upload another version later today. After that I won't have access to my Linux computer for a while, so I won't be able to do tests.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 25, 2013, 11:51:46 am »

> Unicorn slaves run wild in the first cavern layer.
That’s a side effect of the workaround I used so slave traders could bring them. They should be rare, however.

> Also, ghoulified ponies don't seem to be candidates for burial?
Are the ghouls still alive? You need a body for burial, though if they’re dead and you still can’t bury them, a slab might work.

> Talon Company... they ambush in both Autumn and Winter?  Did not expect to see em around
I set the hostile factions to be active all year, though I’m thinking about changing that. Do let me know if you’re only being attacked by a single faction - it could be crowding out the others.

> I just wanted to seed your Linux executable, so you can update the RAWs as needed.
That’s fine too. I linked to your post as it contained a lot of helpful advice, but I can make a DFFD upload later, as it’s just a matter of replacing the raws.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:58:01 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

>Are the ghouls still alive? You need a body for burial, though if they’re dead and you still can’t bury them, a slab might work.
Dead as in my little ponies don't run from it anymore.  You can tell that they are yours (or some other ghoulified pony) if their color is anything other then green/yellow.  And yes, I know that some of those turned ponies are mine.
I should probably look into the slabs, might have to dredge up the body from my dumpmass graveyard to figure who is mine.  Or wait till the next fodder gets ghoulified.  I don't think I want to spend the next few in-game months killing the thieves/snatchers/scouts I dropped in that hole... then bringing up a ton of named bodies.

>I set the hostile factions to be active all year, though I’m thinking about changing that. Do let me know if you’re only being attacked by a single faction - it could be crowding out the others.
Ah, so it is totally randomized.  Yea, I've seen each of em over the course of time, so it seems to be working fine.

Apparently I have not triggered the Steel Rangers or Alicorns after 5 years, cause the ghouls and sometimes the attackers kill some of the traders.  The rest of the traders decide to stop trading and/or turn around and leave.  An alternate form of scavenging at least.

And three ghouls can curbstomp a were-thing invader.  Might be the radiation fart that the yellow ones barf out that made it an easy kill.  I don't want my melee militia ponies to ever get near those if I have the choice. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:54:12 pm by Zangi »

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

With the addition of two letters and removing one, my latest forgotten beast's cutie mark coloration works awesomely.

"The forgotten Beast Drink Unholypoison has come! A gigantic news with lidless eyes. It has three long, hanging tails and it appears to be emaciated. Its a ripped out tongue hanging from a hook skin is warty. Beware its poisonous bite!"

Change the skin description to "Its ripped out tongue hanging from a hook of skin is warty.", and now the forgotten beast has some graphic battle damage.

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 25, 2013, 04:33:59 pm »

*Removed becouse stupid*
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:19:29 pm by Morhem »
This day going to be perfect!

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 25, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »

Dear Radscorpions, Protectaponies, carp, Sprite-Bots, and radigators;

GO TERRORIZE SOMEONE ELSE. PLEASE.

Seriously though, I hate all those things I just listed. Stupid wildlife.... 10 ponies. All of them dead because of animals/robots listed. >:(
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »

>  Radscorpions, Protectaponies, carp, Sprite-Bots, and radigators
And once you get some nice defences up, the wildlife migrations switch to buzzards, bloatsprites, wolves and other harmless creatures. The frequencies are OK, but the RNG is funny like that.  ::)

> Might be the radiation fart that the yellow ones barf out that made it an easy kill. I don't want my melee militia ponies to ever get near those if I have the choice.
In 0.88 a single yellow ghoul killed off my security who could mop the floor with 3 squads of Steel Rangers, with half of them not even showing up for the fight. The melee ponies were too busy getting sick to fight back and the ranged ponies were engaged and killed even quicker. I complained to Lycaeon that the radiaton sickness is so severe. The answer was "working as intended".

BTW, I updated the archive and description for the Linux executable, but it appears that so far no one cares, because all the people liking this mod use Windows.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 25, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »

For some reason I am massively terrified of starting a new fort.
I can't bring myself to do it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 210