Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Subterranean Domestic Animals  (Read 936 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Subterranean Domestic Animals
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:29 pm »

Now that Toady is working on dwarven worldgen settlements it may be a good time to consider what kind of animals might be found in them, besides the regular surface ones. Some existing animals might get the domestic tag (war naked mole dogs!), but if so, probably not very many. Here's a few I'm thinking of:

Cave Lizards: Somewhat large lizards, primarily used for egg production.

"Shroompigs": A species of ambulatory fungi, their flesh can be eaten, or used to produce alcohol.

Maybe some kind of less intelligent trollkin, used for wool production.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Subterranean Domestic Animals
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

Goblins already uses troll wool and such like.

Otherwise, we'll have to see :D

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »

I like this idea immensely.  I'm having a huge problem finding stuff to tame, and learn creature knowledge from in the 34.11, would be nice if more of it showed up, like if the savagery were to expand into the three cavern subregions, aswell.  In most of the games I've played; I've gotten enough raven's to choke a hippo.

Maybe along the lines of cave lizards and new stuff, we could get some hybrids, like creepsuckers, snickermen, and kangrillos. 

I've found the gems the elk birds drop from their gizzards, particularly enjoyable.  Maybe expand in this area, of gameplay to aid in crafted wealth.  It's a nice way to augment, the gem supply, to raise and slaughter elk birds.  I just wish the game had ivory, as these would surely drop ivory beaks.  Good ideas Lord Zack.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »

The hybrids seem like deep-cavern things.

I've often wondered why there aren't any cavern domesticables. There's tons of possibilities, from the dull (cave cattle!) to the clever (undernewts, similar to axlotls but more terrestrial, larger, and bred for meat and waterproof leather)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:59:05 pm »

Rothé - Cave cattle from DND
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »

I like the idea of having some kind of subterranean herd animal, but not really taking something directly from D&D. Toady is a pretty original guy, so I'm sure he'd not want to do it either. Toady always gives his own spin on things.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »

Cavy, cavern animals?  HA!  I thought so, before I looked one up.  *bonkself*
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:24 pm »

I like the idea of having some kind of subterranean herd animal, but not really taking something directly from D&D. Toady is a pretty original guy, so I'm sure he'd not want to do it either. Toady always gives his own spin on things.

Well, some cavern critters are heavily influenced by D&D creatures. Off the top of my head, hungry heads and voracious cavern crawlers are based on vargouiles and carrion crawlers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »

I've not seen a cavern vermin, in some time.  I know they are down there, I just haven't seen many.  Might this be a point that could be improved upon.  Like a vermin bat or two, extra flying around to keep the kittens busy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »

Cavern vermin still exist, I've seen them.
Dwarves don't domesticate cave vermin in worldgen.
Sig