Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So.. this thing with 'Hill dwarves' and other nobility..  (Read 1099 times)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
So.. this thing with 'Hill dwarves' and other nobility..
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »

Does this mean that when the nobles and monarchs and all of their 'court' and followers and other useless leaders move into your fortress, you're suddenly going to get an even larger influx of mouths to feed and even worse framerate?

...or will these extra dwarves give you a defense bonus or extra layer of canon fodder for things that try to lay siege to you?

How does that whole thing work?

Sorry, i've been out of the game for a while.  :(
Even a link to a wiki or something would be helpful.  What are these 'hill dwarves'?
Is this basically just gonna be an adventure mode thing,  or something we get to mess with later?
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: So.. this thing with 'Hill dwarves' and other nobility..
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

I don't think we'll be 100% sure until the new version comes out :D

As far as I can tell, hill dwarves are more of an above ground fortress builder and settlements, not too unlike some player's fortresses. And it's supposed to come in the next version.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »

As I understand it, hill dwarves won't actually be "on the map" in fortress mode. They're an abstract local population that you can interact with by sending out messengers and so on, but not real members of your fort; they won't come do jobs for you, but you could try to recruit them into an army (for instance) once global interaction starts happening.
It's planned as a fortress mode feature primarily.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »

For migration purposes right now the monarch already arrives with a consort, a group of legendary military dwarves, and a few ordinary workers when you meet the requirements. Nothing is going to be changing in that aspect.

As TKGP stated Hill dwarves won't have much of an effect during gameplay right now. They will mainly show up later when you will be able to trade with them, potentially recruit them to your fortress, get them to join your army, etc.

Basically all that's going to happen now (from a player's standpoint) is that when you abandon your fortress the game will keep running it instead of all of your dwarves dying or leaving, potentially allowing you to come back to the fortress and play it more later.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:40 pm »

The way I understand it, its just going to be an off-screen abstracted system for global-level politics. Something along the lines of, send this squad (from your fortress) to this fort to train/recruit soldiers, then go invade this place. You never actually see whats going on in detail, more your men just return after however much time and either 'won' (destroying the target settlement) or 'lost' (come back with casualties, other civ now very angry with you). Basicly a system quite similar to the two later games in the Serria city-building series (Emperor and Zeus) if you've ever played them.
Thats just my take on it though, seems the logical and most lightly way to implement it.
Ofcourse none of that is lightly to happen any time soon, Toady's just putting in the framework for it.
Oh and for visiting them in adventure mode.

In summery, Hill Dwarves are probably just going to be (in-future) an abstraction to boost your troop numbers when it comes to big off-screen conflicts, with your level of development, or 'influance' effecting how many you can pull together.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »

I got the impression that even further in the future, those off-screen battles won't be off-screen: you'd actually get to take command of the battle. At the current rate of development, that'll probably be DF2020.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.