Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Hospitals and Military behave better in DF2012?  (Read 1785 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Hospitals and Military behave better in DF2012?
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:14:23 am »

Back in previous versions there were a few issues:
- Crossbow dwarves couldn't tell the difference between 'training' and 'combat' bolts.
- Crossbow dwarves had a hell of a time carrying/finding ammo (running out with one bolt, complaining there was no more ammo despite the huge stockpiles).
- Multiple layers of armour (Armour over a Dwarf's clothes) would cause major penetration as an attack would roll against a Cloth Shirt instead of the metal breastplate.
- Training schedules were broken.

- Stocking a hospital was near impossible. I'm still not sure how to make sure you have everything you need. Previously, if you put a bunch of coffers in the hospital, the dwarves would go nuts and fill it all with cloth, ignoring anything like Gypsum Powder.
- Gypsum Powder from trades wouldn't show up in the hospital
- No stockpile option for Gypsum.

So I have a few questions:
- What's the best way of gearing/equipping militia and training/stocking crossbow dwarfs? Can they hold multiple quivers and therefore more bolts?
- What is now required to have a fully functional hospital and how to go about it?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:19:33 am by Dwarfotaur »

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Hospitals and Military behave better in DF2012?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:19:17 am »

Whoops, didn't mean to post.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Do Hospitals are Military behave better in DF2012?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:34 am »

Multiple layers of armor always worked fine, the combat report only calls out what was deflected or blocked. I don't know why everyone thinks it's broken, when the penerated/bypassed layers just aren't reported. Multiple layers of same kind of outfit and chainmaille don't really helps much either over single layer.

Crossbow dwarves seems to work fine with bolts now even out of bins, though some people seem to be having issues training them. ( I haven't any trouble, personally. I uses minecart quantum-pile usually, though. )

There're still no stockpile option for gypsum powder, no idea if it get carried into hospital, I never uses it. Dwarves still overstuffs the hospital storage, it's not too bad if you only put one storage in at a time and let them fill it up, then the next, until it's done.

No, they cannot hold multiple quivers, my method is giving them shields, crossbow and setting squad to 300 bolts of any kind ( so even if they tries to claim forbiddened or unpathable bolts, they can still fill up ). And sticking to bone bolts for most part. Any extra stuffs get added in as I get them into fortress. Archery targets seem to work just fine for me, but I don't usually assign more than one to a squad.

My hospital have threads, cloths, splint, and crutches. That's the minimum for me, buckets tend to get picked up elsewhere anyway. Having a bed and a traction bench next to the bed ( doctors do surgery in the bed, afaik ). Soap is important, of course! I just tend to forget to make it too much and end up with infection deaths.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:19 am »

It was a pretty known bug about multiple layers of armour. We tested it :P If you stripped a dwarf then gave him a Helmet, Cloak, Mail Shirt, Breasplate, Two gaunlets, Greaves and two Highboots, he could survive an infinite amount of danger room training.

If you gave the -exact- same armour to a clothed dwarf, he'd get beat up through his clothes for some reason.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:00 am »

It was a pretty known bug about multiple layers of armour. We tested it :P If you stripped a dwarf then gave him a Helmet, Cloak, Mail Shirt, Breasplate, Two gaunlets, Greaves and two Highboots, he could survive an infinite amount of danger room training.

If you gave the -exact- same armour to a clothed dwarf, he'd get beat up through his clothes for some reason.

I've never heard of this bug, huh. Which version was that?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:49:51 am »

I remember it when I first started playing DF, which was probably about 4 years ago? Maybe I'm mistaken and this was before we realised that capes protected faces and mail shirts protected upper arms.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:43 am »

I remember it when I first started playing DF, which was probably about 4 years ago? Maybe I'm mistaken and this was before we realised that capes protected faces and mail shirts protected upper arms.

Most likely, I know there was a time when people was confused about protection of cloaks and maille during 40d and early 31. :D
And there did used to be bug for a few versions where toes and fingers wasn't protected properly by gauntlets and boots, but that got fixed before 31.18 release I played on.

Doesn't helps that leather armor also protects upper arms, but the breastplate don't, IIRC, and could be used for danger room drilling instead of breastplate and maille.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »

- Stocking a hospital was near impossible. I'm still not sure how to make sure you have everything you need. Previously, if you put a bunch of coffers in the hospital, the dwarves would go nuts and fill it all with cloth, ignoring anything like Gypsum Powder.
- Gypsum Powder from trades wouldn't show up in the hospital
- No stockpile option for Gypsum.

Fully stocking a hospital is now possible, but can take some micromanagement.

The amount of each item your hospital is set to need is extremely important, and is probably the most important thing to control.  You control this through using i H over an already designated hospital, in case you didn't know.

The sequence of checks appears to happen like this:

Does the hospital need more of something and is there any space for more of something then create a job to bring all available something to a hospital coffer that had room for it when this process started.

The checks do not look for how much something is available and how much space there is, nor does it compare how much is available to the current need.

If you need 1 more thread to meet the hospital's thread need and have space for one thread in the coffer and you make 1 thread and wait, one dwarf will rush that thread to the hospital.  The need is filled/the space is used, so there's no hospital demand - create as much more thread as you like and it'll be stockpiled normally.

If you have that same need and space availability but have several looms and make multiple threads at about the same time, every thread will trigger a 'take me to the hospital and put me in that open space job' until one of the threads actually gets there.  Then new carry and place jobs stop being issued - but the other dwarves carrying thread to that coffer do not get a cancelation notice.  Even though the coffer is now 'full', there's no second check to make sure it still has space, so the dwarves place the thread in the coffer anyway, leading to some really full coffers.

If you have that same need and space availability but a caravan arrives with thread aboard, apparently your dwarves will still raid that caravan for thread.  I think I read that they won't even wait for the caravan to reach the depot, they run and 'snatch' thread as the caravan approaches, until they either have all the thread or the hospital demand/capacity is filled.  Since caravan's rarely have much thread, this often is all the thread the caravan had.

How I handle this - I modify my hospital's needs so the only thing it needs is Gypsum Powder, which I bring about 20 of on embark.  I usually get my hospitals up early to get that powder stashed away.  I usually 'get the materials', then increase the hospital's capacity through them, then after the rush is over, use i H to check my capacity levels (whoa, 120000 of 4000 thread, yeah) and then t to check each coffer and then mark what I don't want in there for dumping, then reclaim the dumped items.  This frees space for any other items I need and makes sure that my dwarves are using the cheap plentiful threads instead of the expensive rare types for the suturing to come.  Just don't dump powders, they spill and are wasted.

Note, you can store gypsum powder in a stockpile set to furniture.  It's considered a container and gypsum powder as well as the respective quality modifiers, as long as the stockpile accepts those you can restrict fairly closely (dwarves will still place empty containers of all sorts there as well - and sometimes place seeds in any empty bags, but at least you know where all your plaster is).
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 08:49:04 pm »

Back in previous versions there were a few issues:
- Multiple layers of armour (Armour over a Dwarf's clothes) would cause major penetration as an attack would roll against a Cloth Shirt instead of the metal breastplate.

This is currently FALSE. The outermost piece of armor is named in combat descriptions. All layers of armor "count", so layering up is better. I (and others) are currently testing bolt/armor interactions in another thread,  which has ~12 pages of research.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:32:34 am »

Crossbow dwarves still have their problems. It seems as if my dwarves can't tell the difference between a single arrow on a goblin corpse and mountains of bolts in their armory.
Unf.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:02 am »

X-dorfs train great for me.

Only bug worth noting is never resetting unhappines modifiers from long patrol duty, but someone created a binary patch for that and it works nice.

Hospitals - I belive that if you do not place coffers there doctors will use healing materials from the closest stockpile.

There is still a glitch with training speed - iI made a squad of 10 axedorfs and after 3 years of train they had a net lose in combat abilities. Problem lies with combat demonstrations - dwarves lead n deminstrations at the same time, and everyone is either waiting to watch to lead a demonstration. Even if you are lucky and the demonstration happens, skill gain from that is close to 0, unless you have legendary dorfs. Whom you will never get necause everyone is waiting for something. This glitch can be bypassed by setting up multiple squads or giving multiple train orders,  so that there are 2 dorfs training at once - they will spare more and lose less time waiting.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:01:01 am by omg_scout »