Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The United States of Europe  (Read 16941 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The United States of Europe
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:06 am »

Hear, hear.

A projected side-effect I still like to see: less powerful countries means that it'll become easier for some regions to become autonomous, perhaps even become member states. Basque, Catalonia, Vlaanderen, Wallonia, Brittany, Corsica, Padania, Fryslân, hell almost every region has it's separationist movements, some more than others, and the current contrived borders between countries can become more... fluid.

How could you neglect Scotland, Wales and Cornwall?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »

And Åland! I'm all for Åland's independence!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2012, 01:13:05 pm »

So true. Aland gu brath.

But yes, I am not entirely against European integration, just as long as Scotland is an independent entity within it. I would rather Scotland be a province on its own rather than a province of a province, as we may become if the British governments in years to come give up resistence and throw our lot in. In fact, it seems logical that within a USE Scotland would become an independent province. That's made a European Federation less scary for me. I wouldn't have a huge problem with representing Europe as long as my "other" country if you will is Scotland; I don't want to have to represent Scotland on a British level, Britain on a European level and Europe on the world level. My "true" identity would be on the bottom rung.

Another bonus is that huge unions like that are far easier to break out from if we had to, unlike small, strong unions like the UK. Plus, if it wasn't for the EU as it stands, the Scots leid would barely have any recognition. The USE would also never really work unless they appeased nationalists across the federation, so we would probably still be as Scottish as deep fried haggis and buckfast vomited all over an off-license doorway.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:22:36 pm by Owlbread »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »

We all know what the Ålanders really want anyway - and Mother Svea waits for her to come home ;)
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

I still wonder what will happen to Alsace-Lorraine/Elsass-Lothringia...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »

We all know what the Ålanders really want anyway - and Mother Svea waits for her to come home ;)
That's Brother Sweden, if you know what I mean... *winkwinknudgenudge* :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »

HA, called it!  8)

Catalonia now voted a majority for secession. It won't happen though, as they're more broke than Spain, currently...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »

What? No. The party which called the election failed to establish the majority they wanted before they would work for separation, in fact they lost mandates. While hypothetically they could majoritise together with another separatist party, I have heard nothing of them doing so, and find it a bit unlikely given that one is rightwing bourgeois and the other is described by our rightwing liberal papers as "radical leftwing".

Also, Catalonia is the economic motor of Spain. That's the main reason separation was brought up at this time - the Catalonians feel all they do is give money to Spain without getting anything in return.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »

They'll most likely just bargain for economic benefits and call it a day. CiU's motives have always been suspect, and they all but admitted that they started rocking the boat to try to put pressure in the central goverment. Otherwise them and the ruling party have always been cozy. If you ask me the reason for CiU's loss of representation were their savage right wing policies (which they admitted sotto voice they would not change) in the last ten years, not their nationalism (supporting this is the fact that the *OTHER* nationalist parties have grown spectacularily). So yeah, it kind of looks like cutting a deal with the central goverment's party is more likely than a nationalist coalition.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:04 am »

What? No. The party which called the election failed to establish the majority they wanted before they would work for separation, in fact they lost mandates. While hypothetically they could majoritise together with another separatist party, I have heard nothing of them doing so, and find it a bit unlikely given that one is rightwing bourgeois and the other is described by our rightwing liberal papers as "radical leftwing".
Still, all the separatist parties together have a majority.
Also, Catalonia is the economic motor of Spain. That's the main reason separation was brought up at this time - the Catalonians feel all they do is give money to Spain without getting anything in return.
True, except that Catalonia also has way more debt than Spain, and asked Madrid for a bailout just last August.

They'll most likely just bargain for economic benefits and call it a day.
This is most likely. Spain doesn't want to lose the region, but neither can the region do without Spain, yet.

It's just the start, though. This outcome will inspire other regions to re-assert separationist intentions. I'm just glad it doesn't involves bombs and guns, this time :)
For the non EU-residents, here's the TARRIST ATTACKS ZOMG chart of 2010:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:35 am »

I think we should just go back to city states.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2012, 07:29:54 am »

I think we should just go back to city states.

But what about places that don't have cities?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2012, 07:30:46 am »

Tribal federations.
Love, scriver~

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:20 am »

Tribal federations.

But how can you divide rural Perthshire populated by English immigrants from places like Peterborough and bloody Kent with no relation to one another, along with the Lowland migrants from places like Glasgow and Paisley again of no relation to one another, and finally the native families scattered around with little relation to one another into tribal federations?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:01 am »

Through blood.

* scriver sharpens axe.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10