Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does take from/give to work on stockpiles? What situations do you use them?  (Read 11098 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I set a stockpile to give to a workshop, will that workshop ONLY take items from that stockpile? Same in reverse with take from?

I'd like to be able to separate what workshops use what item. I know you can use custom stockpiles to designate it close to a workshop as the dwarf will always take the closest item so I'm not sure of the point of these settings?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Workshop will only take from stockpile that's set to give to it, or if there're none assigned, from anywhere the needed materials are. I'm not sure how take from works with workshops, since I've had no luck in making it work properly, though I've only really tried with still.

I still take advantage of nearest stockpile pathing when using workshops that tend to run out of materials too quickly during early fortress time ( such as bone and stone related shops ). If a workshop have a stockpile assigned to it, but not of proper material needed to work on it ( having a stone stockpile linked up to crafter shop while requesting wood crafts ), the work'll be cancelled for want of material.

Using give/take can be used to run a widely spread workshop, or even just widely spread stockpiles of drink and food for dwarves working long distance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The give-to command for stockpiles, when used to give to a workshop, will limit the workshop to accept only goods from that stockpile. You can assign multiple stockpiles to a workshop.
I use it mainly for my querns and stills. I have 6 querns, each with their own assigned input stockpile. When I use the manager to mill 30 plants, I can be sure exactly 5 plants of each millable type (I don't have whip vines or sliver barb) are going to be milled, as long as the input stockpiles are filled, or, if I specifically need a certain milled product, I can order that manually, making sure only that product is made.
I also use it to make magmaproof mechanisms and floodgates. A stone stockpile makes sure only magmaproof stones are used by the mason and mechanic. It's also handy for encrusting / studding furniture, to make sure your dwarves only grab those pieces of furniture that you want them to.

All in all, I think the new give to mechanic is a great improvement.
I haven't found any use yet for the 'take from' command. I can accomplish anything I need with give to chains.
For example, I use give-to chains to make sure all my prison cells are always stocked with booze and prepared food.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:39:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hi!

I haven't worked much with the restrictions on workshops yet, but I can imagine that you may want this in cases where you have multiple possible stockpiles and a (possibly minecart-driven) distribution system.

Let's imagine you have a mason's workshop and a big stone stockpile right beneath it. You continue to dig out your fortress and create more rooms 20 z-levels below the mason's workshop. Depending on how the stones are distributed within the stockpile, stones 20 z-levels and probably a few twisted tunnels away may be preferred to stones at the edge of the nearby stone stockpile. This would create a lot of unnecessary hauling, especially if you have mining stockpile 20 levels below which then minecarts the stone regularly to the nearby stonepile.

(Of course, you should also set the nearby stone pile by then to link only taking, less you want some haulers to do the 19 z- levels walk to the nearby stockpile :) :) :))

Yours,
Deathworks
(Who has just started playing with the current version and thus might be a bit off)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So its essentially like using custom stockpiles close to the workshop, only much more secure as your dwarf won't go and pick something random up if he deems it closer OR the stockpile is empty.

Interesting.

If I have two mason workshops and a stockpile giving to ONE, will the other workshop ever take anything from that stockpile or can only the 'given to' workshop take from it?

Can a stockpile give to multiple workshops?

I guess that means its finally much easier to encrust/decorate specific items? As you can just move the item into the stockpile that's 'giving to' the workshop. In previous versions, you had to place the furniture nearby and just hope they wanted to encrust it :P

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

So its essentially like using custom stockpiles close to the workshop, only much more secure as your dwarf won't go and pick something random up if he deems it closer OR the stockpile is empty.

Interesting.

If I have two mason workshops and a stockpile giving to ONE, will the other workshop ever take anything from that stockpile or can only the 'given to' workshop take from it?

Can a stockpile give to multiple workshops?

I guess that means its finally much easier to encrust/decorate specific items? As you can just move the item into the stockpile that's 'giving to' the workshop. In previous versions, you had to place the furniture nearby and just hope they wanted to encrust it :P

Multiple workshops can work off one stockpile given to all of them, yes, I does that fairly routinely for mason and bone carving!

I believe the unlinked workshop will take whatever's nearest, regardless of stockpile's linked statue. I'm not sure if restricting to linked works for giving to workshop. ( I could be mistakened here, I link them all up, or not, the unlinked workshops workers wanders around too much so I tend to just link the damned thing in )

And yes it's much easier to encrust and decorate items this way, as long as you remember to assign a stockpile of gem to the jeweler :D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd go so far as to say that every workshop that uses stones should be linked to a nearby stone stockpile.

If you build a mason's shop (for example) without linking it to a stone stockpile, then as soon as a job is assigned from that workshop, the mason is going to grab the stone nearest to wherever he is standing at that moment, and drag it by hand all the way to the workshop.  (They will not use wheelbarrows for this.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I set stockpiles to give stuff to other stockpiles? I want a centralised stockpile that will redistribute food/booze to my scattered dining halls(planning to create mini forts based on "caste" of clothing, glass/weapons/crafts). But its not working.......

I created a central stockpile, set it to give to other stockpiles. What next?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile

How do I set stockpiles to give stuff to other stockpiles? I want a centralised stockpile that will redistribute food/booze to my scattered dining halls(planning to create mini forts based on "caste" of clothing, glass/weapons/crafts). But its not working.......

Change the taking stockpiles to "Take from stockpiles only" with (a), and it will work as you intended. I have experienced that taking stockpiles will always be full and the feeder stockpiles empty, if there aren't enough items.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

It'll work, it just may take some time for dwarves to notice and move things. If it don't, check the stockpile settings ( barrels and bins tend to be very greedy, so you'll need either all stockpiles involved using it or the destantion stockpile only, for anything other than drinks ).

Clothings splitting won't work well, since dwarves will take whatever they want, unless you've set up uniforms in military menu.