Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is it possible to run a 'meat farm'?  (Read 3796 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to run a 'meat farm'?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »

i almost always embark with 16 female birds (turkeys/hens/peahens usually) and 2 males (just in case one dies to strange causes). It solves the food situation for the first year and is somewhat useful even later on. i have most foodstuffs (plump helmets, fish/meat) reduced at embark as i know i'll have 2 animals to butcher (the ones which pull the cart) and a tonne of eggs to cook.

I move on to rutherer/cave croc/elk bird breeding schemes as they're more valuable to eat so my dwarves find them extra delicious for some reason.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

I once had a fort that was run on a meat/animal industry. After about a decade i was swimming in so much meat and bone i didnt know what to do with it all. I armed 150+ dwarves with masterwork wodden crossbows and infinite wooden bolts. Needless to say no kobold would ever set foot on fortress property and live to tell the tale.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 06:26:58 pm »

I once had a fort that was run on a meat/animal industry. After about a decade i was swimming in so much meat and bone i didnt know what to do with it all. I armed 150+ dwarves with masterwork wodden crossbows and infinite wooden bolts. Needless to say no kobold would ever set foot on fortress property and live to tell the tale.

you do realise you can turn those bones into both crossbows and bolts, right?

(also, you can encrust just about anything with bone, if you're really looking to get rid of it... uses up a whole stack of bone for one decoration, iirc).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:22:51 am »

You should've used bones for bolts, they're better than wood :D

Bone for armor, except chest ( which can only be done with leather for no-metal armor, and it covers the arms too, unlike metal breastplate ).

Bone crossbows.

Well, I think you missed your chance to make a skeleton army out of your dwarves :D ( Not recommended against anything with metal or huge )
Pages: 1 2 [3]