Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Darkling Adventure  (Read 975 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Darkling Adventure
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:32 pm »

Well, seeing as there appears to be very little interest, I've decided to stop posting on this.

Back-story
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TL;DR: There was a plague of powerful, evil creatures that were thought dead, then later myths. A man became one, and was attacked and imprisoned.

You get to be the commanding voices of a Darkling, and find your way through wherever you are, and spread this "disease". Your Darkling will be quickly recognizable and hated, as well as unusually strong (But not invincible!). Your goal is to survive, and spread. A Darkling you create will listen somewhat to your suggestions, but will not completely. For example, let's say you create Bob. You tell Bob to give you his weapon. Bob will most likely refuse because then he would be unarmed. However, if you tell him to trade weapons with you, he might obey, assuming your weapon isn't too weak in comparison, nor his too strong.

You wake up and look around. You see you are in a stone room lit by torches. There are no windows in the room. There is a door to your left. On the ground in front of you are 5 meat rations, a copper blade, a small, weak crossbow, 10 bolts specially made to fit the mini-bow, an empty backpack,and a strange, golden cube with odd carvings on them. Also, to any who wants to at this point you may give your Darkling a name and an appearance, as well as act.

Status
Inventory
Companions

Edit: Well, I have to get to bed right after I posted this (Didn't notice the time), so the posts will be dealt with tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:40:54 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Darkling Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »

well, first things first. you're obviously not in a hostile location or they wouldn't have given you weapons to work with. you also have no reason to stay where you are though. your first priority has to be self-preservation, followed by information gathering. gather the items *quietly* and listen at the door for noise. if you dont hear anything then you should move out and begin figuring out your surroundings.

if you do hear something then stay quiet and find out what you can hear. if someone is going to enter you need to be in the corner behind the door so the door itself blocks their line of sight of you and you can see and identify them before they see you.

you should try to avoid fighting, these are probably not enemies. that does not mean you can trust them though.

as for that weird cube, keep it, but keep it hidden, odds on you'll be able to figure it out later. you have other priorities right now and it will just attract unnecessary attention.

it is important to try to remember where you are and what resources you have available. you had a life before this happened, do you have any friends you can trust or caches of items or money you can collect?

your appearance makes you distinctive, you need some makeup and clothes that will help you hide your new nature.

if you encounter someone hostile, it'll be time to start making your first secondary darkling.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:39:42 pm »

Since there's only one post, I suppose I'm going with Lenglon's plan. Also, before I get IC, I want to clear a few things up. As you might guess from you equipment, this takes place in an era close to what DF, TLoTR, and D&D takes place in. Also, a few notes on Darklings:One, you won't always infect a creature, although your chance of successs is better against a non-sentient creatures, but they can't use armor, wield weapons, or obey orders. Two, you have to attack a creature with your body, not a weapon. Example: If you slice a man with your sword, he won't get infected, but scratch him and he will be. Third, you don't have hive-mind, so you have to talk, which can alert creatures unless you whisper, which can only happen if you are very close together. Finally, the Darklings pseudo-disease gets diluted between strains. A fellow primary Darkling is very strong, and if you try to get him to do something dangerous, he will probably recognize it. If a primary Darkling infects a creature, they become secondary Darklings. They don't have as much strength, and are willing to do more risky things because they don't see the risk. If they infect something, the infected creature becomes a tertiary Darkling. They have slightly boosted strength, very little planing ability, and can't infect more creatures. Now, on with the story!

You crawl forth and gather the supplies, and you hide the cube in a small fold in the leather. You listen against the door and you can hear men, most likely about 4-5, walking around the room ahead. Either is isn't very large, or the men are pacing in a relatively small area. You can hear them talking, but can't make out what they are saying. They seem to have no intention of opening the door. Judging by the sound of metal clashing as they walk, they are armored. Your headache also fades.

Status

Inventory

Companions

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:16 pm »

Open the door and kill a couple before they can react.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »

PTW
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:31 pm »

once again, they gave you weapons, they probably are not enemies. they are moving, are they moving towards you, away from you, or back and forth?

if moving towards you, listen, you might be able to pick up what they're saying

if moving away from you, wait until you think they're gone, then step out and look around.

if moving back and forth, there's no point in waiting around step out and look around.

in all cases, do NOT make the first hostile move. give them a chance to talk, try to see what you can learn BEFORE fighting breaks out. these people are either NOT ENEMIES or the biggest idiots in the world.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »

If anyone would care to +1 either of the two plans, I'll be going with that one. Also, to Darkling Wolf, I assume PTW has something to do with the fact that you have Darkling in your name and I had Darkling in my title. To be honest, I've never heard of you until now, so it's unrelated to you. And no, I'm not saying you can't join the game.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:54:07 am »

Nah, It means I'm Posting To Watch. So I get updates into my "unread replies" box.

Also, I support Lenglon's plan.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »

Okay then. First, you try to remember your life before any of this happens (Something I forgot to do last turn) and you remember that you lived in a village far to the north. You never knew your mother or father, and you had several friends. Among the ones that were living before you got captured, there was Urist Lezlim the dwarf, Dask Noje and Yesk Noje, two human brothers, and Sylgis Evergale, an elf. Next, you listen for the direction the footsteps are moving. They seem to be pacing in one area, back and forth, but at the closest point, you can't quite tell what they are saying. You open the door and you see 6 armored knights. "Ah, so you've awoken!", says a man in steel armor, while the other 5 are in iron. This man seems to be the leader. "Welcome to the Labyrinth of Garnek, testing place of the Darklings. Here we send the Primary Darklings in the world to test their strength. As for what's next, I'm afraid I can't tell you yet. Your goal will be to find the exit of this Labyrinth and slay the Vampiric Lich that dwells deep in the caverns here. He will hold the key to allow you to leave here. That is the only way out, aside from death,  in which case you will join the Lich's ranks and oppose the next Darkling. Now, farewell!" After giving his speech, he leaves through a trap door you hadn't noticed before. The other 5 knights follow, and once the last one is down the hatch, a great blue light shines forth. The trapdoor now seems to be welded to the floor. You look around and see that this is another small room, similar to the one you came out of. However, there is only a large, single brazier in the center instead of the torches in the last room. On it is a short note. It reads, "May the Golden Dragon's power be revealed!" Below this, it has a few lines of a language you cannot identify: Loskas nom Jas qwoyis nef Geeg. Thinking of the golden cube, you pull it out and find that it does in fact have a golden dragon carved on it. It also has a Titan, a Hydra, a Demon, a strange creature you can only assume is a Forgotten Beast, and a bronze colossus.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:38:06 pm »

tl;dr
Protip: use paragraphs. Makes stuff much easier to read.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:44:26 pm »

Okay then. First, you try to remember your life before any of this happens (Something I forgot to do last turn) and you remember that you lived in a village far to the north. You never knew your mother or father, and you had several friends. Among the ones that were living before you got captured, there was Urist Lezlim the dwarf, Dask Noje and Yesk Noje, two human brothers, and Sylgis Evergale, an elf.

Next, you listen for the direction the footsteps are moving. They seem to be pacing in one area, back and forth, but at the closest point, you can't quite tell what they are saying.

You open the door and you see 6 armored knights. "Ah, so you've awoken!", says a man in steel armor, while the other 5 are in iron. This man seems to be the leader. "Welcome to the Labyrinth of Garnek, testing place of the Darklings. Here we send the Primary Darklings in the world to test their strength. As for what's next, I'm afraid I can't tell you yet. Your goal will be to find the exit of this Labyrinth and slay the Vampiric Lich that dwells deep in the caverns here. He will hold the key to allow you to leave here. That is the only way out, aside from death,  in which case you will join the Lich's ranks and oppose the next Darkling. Now, farewell!"

After giving his speech, he leaves through a trap door you hadn't noticed before. The other 5 knights follow, and once the last one is down the hatch, a great blue light shines forth. The trapdoor now seems to be welded to the floor.

You look around and see that this is another small room, similar to the one you came out of. However, there is only a large, single brazier in the center instead of the torches in the last room. On it is a short note. It reads, "May the Golden Dragon's power be revealed!" Below this, it has a few lines of a language you cannot identify: Loskas nom Jas qwoyis nef Geeg. Thinking of the golden cube, you pull it out and find that it does in fact have a golden dragon carved on it. It also has a Titan, a Hydra, a Demon, a strange creature you can only assume is a Forgotten Beast, and a bronze colossus.

exact same text as what flameboy said, i simply broke it up for you.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:03:05 pm »

well, it's too bad we couldn't simply assault the knights and go through their trap door, but considering their equipment and probable training doing that would more likely than not have gotten us killed anyway.

it looks like we're being told to do your classic dungeon raid. which seems... both stupid and bizzare. in any case there's no reason to leave resources behind us. before we do the obvious (apply golden cube to brazier) we might as well loot the torches from the last room and anything else we can find.

we also might as well do a quick check on how becoming a darkling has changed us, mark our height against the door and see if our size has changed, then break down the door to check our physical strength. agility check by attempting to juggle something convenient, and so on. we need to gage both how we are compared to how we used to be, and how we are compared to your average human.

after that... time for the obvious i guess. fiddle with the cube and the brazier, lets see how you trigger this thing.

quick question: how many doors are in the brazier room? from your description there is only the one door that links back to where we woke up. if there is another door that changes things. right now we appear to be on a railroad.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:35 pm »

Ah crap... I made a few mistakes in that post. First, I didn't mean to tell you that the village was "Far to the North", seeing as you would have no way of knowing that. But, spoiler alert, you're a long way from home. Second, there are 4 doors in the brazier room, one on each wall. You came from the eastern one. Third, I didn't post status/inventory/companions, but they're still the same. Also, I'll go ahead and draw an MSPaint map. And yes, I know am possibly the worst user of it. Oh, and by the way, sorry about using a linear cliche. But trust me, it will get more open-ended shortly. I mean, even "open ended" games like Skyrim make you do certain things in the very beginning, if only to set the plot.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:21:09 am »

what, nobody?
nobody else has anything to say?

ok then, plan of action:
1) loot torches
2) investigate own stats / effects of becoming a darkling
3) avoid the brazier, find out what is in the adjacent rooms. might as well go clockwise, because it's a direction, and which direction doesn't matter.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:56 pm »

And here I was thinking this thread was dead! Anyways, You take the torches from the previous room. Suddenly, as you pull the last one off the shelf...
     You take three bolts and juggle them. You notice that, while you are more agile than before, you're still somewhat clumsy. Measuring yourself against the door, you seem the same height, however you have no way of knowing for sure. You attempt to punch a door, and it cracks slightly, and then proceed to ram into it. The door breaks, and it seems you are quite a bit more powerful than before. Facing the brazier and standing in front of the door to the first room, you move clockwise, and open the northern door. A rush of cold air hits you, and the walls seem frozen. In the center of the room, you see a statue of a goblin lasher, whip at his side, and apparently unarmored, though it is hard to tell. The statue is made of a stone that is entirely new to you. It resembles sapphire, but it seems far too clear to be real gem, or if it is, it is very finely polished. You become slightly hungry.

Status

Inventory

Companions
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:32:04 pm by flameboy99 »

Pages: [1] 2