Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I'm going to make a mod! AND YOU GOTTA HELP US!  (Read 2522 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to make a mod! AND YOU GOTTA HELP US!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:13 pm »

Ah! If you change materials in any caste, they'll change in all castes. That's one problem I see there.

Monkeyballs. :( Is there a way around this?

Will the FIXED_TEMP increase still work?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »

Ah! If you change materials in any caste, they'll change in all castes. That's one problem I see there.

Monkeyballs. :( Is there a way around this?

Will the FIXED_TEMP increase still work?

Yeah, there is: just keep all of those suckers real high.

Yes, it will.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:58 pm »

Ahh, so basically the race is going to be immune to the same level of heat even if one caste will generate more?

Cheers Putnam, you're a real bro. :)

Working through clothes for Abysians atm; all of them are metal (otherwise it burns, duhhh). It's going to be a challenge to keep them clothed :D

That sounds more dirty than I'd have liked it to be, but WHAT CAN YA DO

EDIT:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ABYSIA_MAIL_COAT]
[NAME:abysian coat:abysian coats]
[UBSTEP:MAX]
[LBSTEP:MAX]
[LAYER:OVER]
[COVERAGE:60]
[LAYER_SIZE:40]
[LAYER_PERMIT:50]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:12]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_ALL]

Will this be worn by civilians as it lacks an ARMORLEVEL tag? :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:32 pm »

It probably won't because of its METAL and HARD tags.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:21 am »

I *think* I've managed to make it work before... we'll see. :) If not ahh well they'll just have to be naked.

Almost done with aby's clothing and weapons! Just a few more weaps and then I can do the entity file.

Oh yes, and the warlock interactions. That's gonna be tough!  :'(

Wikiquote : "Items without an armor rating are considered clothing", we'll see how true that holds.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:35:07 am by Korbac »

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 12:52:46 am »

Hello, I was just informed of this thread by a friend and so I made an account so I could post. I've been working on a Dominions mod for a little while, though I haven't done any work on it for a few weeks. I've gotten a bit further than you seem to have, mine currently has Abysians and Agarthans as playable races as well as nonplayable(though this may change for some) Pangaea, R'lyeh and Machaka in various stages of completion. I've also added quite a few of the creatures, including some of the pretender gods, who are all megabeasts with the [POWER] tag. I haven't done much on items yet, but it seems to me that Abysians should be using salamander leather or scale clothing, since they don't have any other animals and it's fireproof. I can't see them using metal for clothing when they've got soldiers to equip. I think it's interesting that you have Abysians as not completely fire immune, mine can swim in magma(they live in a volcano, they're literally magma given human form and they have complete fire resistance in dom3). If you'd like to collaborate then we could possible share some code or something, the main problem that I find with modding dwarf fortress isn't that it's difficult, it's just a bit tedious, so multiple people would probably lessen that.  :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 01:14:25 am »

A workaround to prevent cloth burning would be to make fireimmune underground thread plant and give them access to it only. Also, metal thread through strand extraction or reactions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:01 am »

Admiral_Aorta! :D Pleased to know you're doing something similar. :) In the lore, I actually just remembered the Warlox and Anathemants wear robes, so I'll try and be putting some fireimmune stuff in.

As for the '100%' fireimmune thing - I think Dominions simplifies things slightly in this regard (I mean, is a humanbred really as resistant as an Abysian?) and so I decided to make it a bit more balanced - that is, Abysians are still very hot, but if say something with the power of the sun appears, even they will melt.

I was going to work on C'Tis next, and then maybe Niefelheim, so maybe we can put out stuff together after that's done. :) Also, have you done any modding regarding nobles? I'm very excited considering the possibilites.

Good luck with your work! :D

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 05:41:29 am »

I haven't played around with nobles much beyond changing names, though I did set the Abysian ruler to an Anointed of Rhuax and specified multiple ones, so there will be several rulers instead of one.  I had though of making warlocks and similar positions through a combination of nobles and secrets rather than castes but it suppose you could do it that way, it just seems odd that warlock babies, for example, could cast the same spells as an adult warlock.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 05:51:18 am »

Haha, yeah that's a good point. I might have to look into that. Then again, in the series you can get warlocks of varying age (e.g. between 40 and 60) with the same skills, indicating that their extra 20 years of study have given them jack. :P

Atm I've planned to give them the ability to buff allies' strength at the cost of their endurance, curse enemies to lower their strength, endurance, and willpower, and (long cooldown) heat the enemies' blood up from the inside to kill them. :P

Are you making race unique weapons or taking them from a shared pool? :) I'm making race - specific ones so the sizes match more appropriately. :)

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 05:55:46 am »

I haven't done anything with weapons yet, Abysians just use the default axes and morning stars, that kind of thing. Custom weapons would work better for the giant races though.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 05:58:35 am »

Yeah, it allows you to distinguish between races and such. E.g. if a brave human bloke kills an abysian while they both have battleaxes, the human will have to drop his shield to wield the abysian battleaxe (I am using EA abysians so they're quite big iirc.)

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:10 am »

I figured differentiating between the ages too much was pointless, especially since much of that is dependent on their history and once generated in dwarf fortress they'll start to interact with the world on their own. Basically my idea was to give each nation access to most of all the different versions. So R'lyeh has both aboleths and starspawns for example, and Pangaea isn't prohibited from using bronze or iron armour because they get there eventually. Abysians are human sized so I don't think there would be that much size disparity between their weapons and human weapons. Certainly they look almost exactly the same size in dom3. Though I'm not sure how you'd work that with the larger burning ones who do have weapons that are bigger than normal.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 08:36:27 am »

I'm basing my mod mainly on EA, because I think it's kind of a bit weird to have some crossover elements of nations, i.e. mictlan's jaguar warriors and sacred atlanteans; man's witches and magisters; jotunheim's giant ice giants, ice giants, and humans etc. I was thinking about making 'subraces', i.e. niefelheim and jotunheim, that share most of the same weapons / armour and have almost identical ethics so they will be trade partners.

Also regarding abysia, I thought that in EA they were size 3, except burning ones who were size 4? Forgive me if I'm wrong; it'll just become my 'interpretation' :P

C'Tis should be fun; I wonder what properties I'll give their poison. As it's mild, probably moderate pain and blisters or something. :)

Admiral_Aorta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »

Nope, normal abysians are always size 2. Burning ones are size 3. Instead of doing it from memory, you could use this to check stats and things. As for C'tis, do you mean the poison on the serpent dancer's staves? I'm not sure how possible it is to make weapons always poisonous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3